LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » only taking rifampin OK?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: only taking rifampin OK?
frikfrak
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26844

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frikfrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Saw doc today, very confused. My son who has been sick since 12/09, only neurologically, has been on 400 mg. IV doxy since 08/10, flagyl since 6 weeks ago.

Last week he became very moody, confortational, had to discontinue IV for a few days and cut back on the flagyl. Doc wanted to stop flagyl and continue on doxy only again. When I said that I didn't think doxy was doing anything and thought to just cut back on flagyl he then said stop both and just take rifampin (300mg daily).
Said next month he wants to try him on herbal protocol.

This is our 2nd LLMD since 12/09 and son still getting worse, no better. I don't want to switch again but this doesn't sound right to me with all that I read.
Am I reading too much?
Should I just let the doc do his thing?
Any insights?

frustrated

Posts: 158 | From NJ | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme987
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme987     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the rifampin IV?
Posts: 298 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it might not be a bad idea to back off a bit and see if his attitude gets better,

heck the rifampin might still be too much that drug kicks, but it's a very good drug

take care

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 513 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No you definitely cannot just take Rifampin.

You can take Rifampin and Doxy together, but they are a very powerful combination, so start small! Or Rifampin and Zithro. I'm sure there are other combinations. But a definite NO to just Rifampin alone.

Doxycycline alone helped me a LOT, but if you've stalled out, perhaps adding the Rifampin could be good...just start very small, Rifampin herxes are extreme!

If it were me, and the problems were mainly neuro, as is customary with bartonella, I'd see what the Rifampin did. If he herxes on it (moods, tremors, headaches) you'll know bartonella is a part of the problem.

little olive

--------------------
Myalgic encephalomyelitis, 2002 | Viral onset, following Hep B vaccine
Lyme since '06 | Bartonella since '08 (cured) | Mycoplasma pneumoniae since '08
IGeneX: IgM 31IND 34IND 41+ | IgG 39IND 58+ 41+++
IgG deficiencies and MTHFR 677TT mutations

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin has been the best one for me.

It worked in 3 months, and got rid of a ton of symptoms!!!

I did it with Minocycline, and found it to be a great combo.

Then I went on to do MEpron and Amox. for a year.

So after a year and a half, I still have lots of pain, and lots of symptoms, but I have seen tons of improvement.

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, but the herxes on Rifampin are bad.

You would have to keep a close eye on your son.

It gave me suicidal thoughts, and made me cry worse for a while.

Sometimes I would cry all day.

I was crying a lot before this treatment.

Now I never cry, even if I want to! ha! ha!

[group hug] [group hug] [group hug] [group hug]

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't let anyone on here scare you, everyone's reactions to drugs are different.

Drugs have side effects. There's nothing we can do about it. The little risk is well worth it to get better.

Rifampin and zith is a good combo, usually a bit easier to handle than rifampin and doxy.

I agree with olive, just Rifampin doesn't sound adequate.

Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deerose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deerose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on rifampin in combination with other
antibiotics twice in my course of treatment and I do not have severe herxes.

Just fyi.
it works well for me.
but everything I read in here and have experienced is that combos of abx are superior.

LLND switches me off combos of abx to hit the coinfections from different angles.

Can't tell if there are co infections by your post...

most find that treating coinfections is directly relative to progress

in my case for example bartonella needs to really get hit out of the way so the lyme is more easily treated.
That can vary...but my experience and that doesn't count babesia and erlichia.

there are other protocols in place besides "just abx" that most people need to improve in the long run.

Detox comes to mind and diet and probitoics and supplements and so forth.
Some forms of detox are essential for some people with certain genetics to enable abx to work properly.

search that or repost a question if you wish to pursue that.

I find much to my dismay in between bursts of hope that in all things lyme & co I have to renew patience time and again.

I also have discovered I have to keep my approach to healthcare givers... lyme

literate ones.. moderated to keep their alliance.
there are momentary lapses.
sometimes they are best guessing.

Lyme literate docs and practioners are people too dealing with a long frustrating illnesses which is different for each person.

and are sometimes seeming not to know as much as I do.
I fully grant that is hard to accept and do
but we have to take much more responsbility for this than formerly

in our healthcare and that includes how we manage the docs and/or other practioners.

I have two excellent ones but I need both and at times have to be tactful and careful between their approaches and knowledge.

It may be easy for some folks to say ditch them if they are lapses but not in my world where people of that lyme related skill ar e hard to find and I cannot go travelling farther than I already do.

that is not happening.
so I have to add wisdom and tact to my treatment plan.
a friend calls that "leading from second place".

we can spend many hours learning

and tailoring for ourselves in ways they do not, even with their range of expertise.

So I have found that I cannot fully depend on them hook line and sinker but at the same time I do very much need them in my corner.

so grace for the lapses and regroup to come at it in a way so minimize resistance.

Bluntly put...if you need them, be persistent but try to back out our frustrations with them and tactfully reengage them with a fresh approach.

Instead of making statements sometimes I frame something as a question when I darn well know the answer,(an my attitude is at th emoment that they should too!)
just to get it ont he table. Just for example.

then I blow off my frustrations with them somewhere else.
This is hardly all the time but it has been a useful habit to keep the machine well oiled...

something that arises and I have to be aware and respond accordingly.

It is all part of realizing they are not perfect and perfectly endowed with all knowledge and also
they are not perfect people.

they also see themselves as the responsible and expert ones and with reason.

I haven't met one of those who is eprfect yet though.

I am not talking about a true incompetent or non LL doc...those avoid or fire of course wherever possible.

i think I would find a way to ask about this choice.

sorry long...

--------------------
Not everything in life that can be counted counts and not every thing that counts can be counted...Albert Einstein

Posts: 208 | From Northeast | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin works best with a macrolide like biaxin or zithromax.

It is powerful and when you are treating bart the herxes are very emotional (at least for me). This will pass.

Remember that the herxes and side effects from the drugs always beats the alternative of allowing the disease to progress.

Perhaps look for another LLMD as bartonella does not respond to herbal treatments. Herbs can be used in combination but these are stealth infections and need a nuclear arsenal to get rid of them.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement