I just have a couple of questions regarding Bartonella.
Besides sore feet, does Bartonella also cause sort, aching calves? Or tight calf muscles?
And could it cause/worsen acid reflux too?
I've been taking an antibiotic break for a little over a month now and my feet/calves have really been hurting, but I also notice I'm a lot more acidic lately... I think some nighttime acid reflux is going on. I wake up feeling all acidic sometimes, and breathe even worse than I normally do. And I get that vibrating feeling on my left side, but that seems worse lately, as well. It kinda feels like I swallowed a pager sometimes.
The acid reflux thing I find sort of weird, as one would think dropping antibiotics would improve stomach/acid issues, not worsen them.
My doctor, although an ILADS doc, is rather quinolone-phobic, and sort of keeps delaying treating bartonella. I suppose he thinks if Lyme is under control that my body may take care of bartonella (and babesia?) by itself. But my body doesn't seem to be cooperating.
I have the symptoms (I would think) plus tested positive for Bartonella, so am strongly leaning to just going the levaquin route next month, assuming I can convince my doc to treat it. I also have some Babesia things going on too... which is best to usually treat first, Bartonella or Babesia?
Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009
| IP: Logged |
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23725
Yes, I believe it cause sore calves
-------------------- First Symptom 9/09 Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test LLMD: 1/10 Positive Igenex/CDC test Treatment 2/10 2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues
I have a question/comment... I also experience calf pain and am getting ready to treat the bart with levaquin per my LLMD.... though my calves are tender and crampy all over, I have one certain SPOT, that I can feel all the time, and if I press on it, it almost sends me through the roof. Anyone else have anything like that?
(Just so everyone knows, I know it's not a blood clot or anything.)
To your question, I wouldn't know which would be better to treat 1st, babs or bart. We treated my babs years ago, and it hasn't been a problem since (at least that I can tell, and that the testing shows, about all you can do, right?) Now, since my Lyme treatment seems to be stalling, I think my LLMD felt that the Bart needed to be dealt with before we could make any further progress on the Lyme treatment.
I know a lot of docs (and patients) are leery of using levaquin because of the risk of tendon damage. From what I was told by my LLMD, was that usage in the mid age range group (not children or the elderly) was fairly safe as long as you monitored your pain. If you have pain that migrates around (like we usually do, one day your right knee is really bothering you, then the next few days it's your left shoulder, etc.) that's ok, if you have pain that seems to stay in one area too long, I'm to let them know.
Good luck with your treatment!!
-------------------- Susan Posts: 80 | From Queen Creek, AZ | Registered: Nov 2007
| IP: Logged |
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936
I you have a positive bart test and also the symptoms, then you must treat it. It's not going to go away on its own and I would really question your doctor's thinking here.
It may be time for a change.
Posts: 5187 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009
| IP: Logged |