LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » CD57 How Accurate What Does it Indicate

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CD57 How Accurate What Does it Indicate
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my cd57 test back which came in at 68. What does this indicate and how accurate are the results??

--------------------
If you play at the beach, expect to get some sand in your shorts [Smile]

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mixed opinions on this but i think its a good lyme infection indicator 89 show mid range infection

get to a LLMD if you haven't already

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 512 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LSG Scott
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSG Scott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i meant your 68 reading showed mid range infection not 89

I don't know where that came from that's what i get for typing in the dark

--------------------
LSG Scott

Posts: 512 | From Boston, Cape Cod, Mass | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks LSG,

I have been in treatment for roughly 9 months. 6 or 7 of those I was being undertreated according to some on here and elsewhere via low dosage abx. While that could be debated either way I left the first LLMD because he didn't seem to be interested in treating babs.

He took insurance so he was somewhat paranoid about the insurance co's coming back on him. Most of us know how expensive the babs meds are which leads me to believe this is the reason he didn't want to go after it.

I was really hoping that the cd57 came back much higher so at least I could believe I had made significant progress with the lyme but so it goes.....

Hitting babs and lyme pretty hard now with abx. Current doc thinks you will just go in circles until the babs is taken care of.

Bart is a big issue for me. I know burrascano says to treat that first but again current doc insists babs is first even though she studied under burrascano........... Hope she's right.

As with all these tests some will argue that one is accurate and the others not, next person will say the opposite but if we look at the overall picture and 4 or 5 somewhat inaccurate tests point the same direction along with a whole laundry list of symptoms that most of us have, It's a pretty good bet the diagnoses is correct.

Excuse me for being long winded, this is probably way more information than you wanted lol.

Thanks again

--------------------

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a reliable indicator for lyme status. Mine was 30-40 for a few years and has finally came up to about 80, and this is after all sorts of treatment experiments. So I feel treatment may be restoring that aspect of the immune system to some degree ( I hope).

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it has been very reliable. Started at 27 before treatment, a few months ago I got a 90 and then I added herbs which induced more killing and after that, the last couple months right around 70.

Somewhere about 9 months ago I had a brief treatment break and the CD57 also went up briefly during that period, so even that pattern is consistent.

I had treated lyme and bart for about a year, and felt close to done, but was really stuck not making any more progress to finish it off. Lyme doc finally said let's start babesia and I can tell as that treatment started that I did have babs after all. So I bring this up because looks like both of us were treating lyme and bart and not babs and had CD57 in the same range, a score kind of close to victory but not there.

Would not be surprised at all if you are in the place of really needing to treat babs simultaneously with lyme and bart at this point to get further, so it's great your new doc is going to help you with that.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About the CK-57 Test, But Were too Sick to Ask, by Ginger Savely, RN, FNP-C

quote:

You may have heard the term CD57 tossed around on chat groups, or your Lyme-literate health care provider may have even explained the test to you in one of your moments of brain-fogged stupor.

What is this number that sounds more like a type of Heinz ketchup than a lab test, and what in the world does it have to do with Lyme disease?

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Thanks for the responses all, very much appreciated!

I really do think that bart needs to be taken care of NOW as this is causing some serious trouble for me in the way of very sore feet, terrible shin bone pain, bumps on my shin bones, ect. These symptoms have been increasing lately and this was made very clear to the doc. The problem here is she still insists that treatment comes later. Have you folks been treated for all 3 simultaneously?

One thing I will say is the first doc did treat me for bart and many symptoms decreased significantly. Unfortunately, I was not treated long enough and those symptoms have now returned. My job often requires me to be on my feet most of the day so you can see where this is a problem.

I don't think I can possibly add any more abx or sups. It is getting to be a full time job swallowing all of these. This is compounded of course, by having to make sure I get enough fat in my diet to absorb the Mepron properly.

I have no idea what my cd57 level was before I began treatment as this was the first I was tested. I really can't say if there is any improvement. My understanding is a level of somewhere around 100-150 is where they like to see that number. Please correct me if this is not te case.

The thought has crossed my mind to try address bart with some kind of herb or power up the rife machine I built but haven't had the guts to try with any consistency yet. The machine definately invokes a response but I'm told Bart herx's can be hell. I can't afford to miss any more work that I already do. Thankfully my company seems to understand the complexity of all of this but no doubt there is a limit.

Any and all recomendations here would be helpfull.

--------------------

average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Carol,

I did read that link. According to her it seems fairly accurate. I also read a conflicting blog where that physician said it is not. He said that a vitamin D deficiency is a better indicator but that would be inclusive of the vast majority of those in the north east part of the country.

In my mind based on what's been said here and a number of articles I've read since yesterday, I'm sticking with the test being fairly accurate.

Thanks for the link

--------------------

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like GS. That is an informative article explaining the CD-57. I have heard below 50, you are pretty sick, getting over 60 is recovering. It will take a sudden jump rather than a slow climb after the 60"s and when it gets over a hundred it is safer to quit abx without relapsing.

There are protocols you can use to address the bart as well as the babs. Bactrim DS hits bart somewhat. There is also the combo of malarone and levaquin with some other drugs I have forgotten but can look up if you want to know.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaOD20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My CD57 was a 48 when I was first diagnosed/had not started treatment. After a month of treatment it went up to a 60 and then a month and a half later it was an 80. Just went in today (another month and a half or so) and it is an 88. I am feeling pretty good and will be reducing meds. I was hoping it was over a 100, but maybe next time?
Posts: 376 | From New York | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in a relapse with mycoplasma pneumonia. My LLMD tested my CD57 and ran some other extensive lab work to see why I was relapsing.

Guess what my CD57 was? 125 Lyme, I guess, is under control. Gotta get those other pesky infections!

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm confused. I just got results back, and it says 3.9%, with the reference range of 2-17.0%. So, I am in range. Then, underneath that, it says Abs. Cd8-CD57+ Lymphs is 66/uL. Ref range is 60-360. Is this last result the one you go by? If so, I guess mine is in range, and not too bad? I haven't treated in years, and feel aweful, so I'm puzzled as to the high number.
Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amk, 66 is not quite optimal (low normal) so you could still be facing issues. Keep in mind co-infections will not affect the CD-57 in the same way as lyme so you may need to figure out what is causing you the most grief....good luck...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I know there has to be a missing piece to the puzzle...I just wish I could figure it out!
Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raw vegan runner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raw vegan runner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A somewhat LLMD once told me anything under 200 is cause for concern/caution. Meaning, there was still a chance for relapse. Over 200 would be *cured* or someone not exposed to Lyme.

That being said, I am feeling very good right now but my CD57 is in the 60's...what that tells me, if I am using CD57 as my only basis for healing, is that I am simply in remission, with a high chance for relapse if I do not continue to treat.

Posts: 206 | From In the shadow of a mountain | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nhlymeguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nhlymeguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started treaatment with CD57 of 60...after 6 months it was 81...my LLMD says this is good news...I hope so, but would like to get it much higher...I feel a bit better, but not nearly cured.
Posts: 222 | From NH | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm treating for all three right now (borrelia, bart, and babs). Time and a place for everything. Though cliche, the peeling an onion analogy works. Right now, the outermost peel of my onion has borrelia, bart, and babs in it.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You still could have co-infections keeping you sick even if the borrelia are under control. It ain't over til it's over.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement