LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » my urine smells weird

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: my urine smells weird
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay.... so I know... too much info...

But, It has smelled weird for the last 6 days or so. I haven't noticed a difference in color. But the smell makes me think of something that was burnt.

I go into my doctor againg tomorrow, so I will bring it up then. But... whats your thoughts?

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thehause
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thehause     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking garlic?
Posts: 372 | From west of the mississitty | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.

And I haven't changed any supplements in the last month.

--------------------

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Infection
Urine culture needed

al

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the world of ammonia.
You need to get on top of it asap.

Look into ornithine, charcoal, etc.

You will need to mop up the ammonia.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phyl6648
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me know what the doctor says. I have the same problem and all test were negative. Mine has gone on for months. No pain just the smell...I thought it might be a part of lyme and no supplement or med changes.
Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

phyl I will let you know tonight.

cane.. ammonia... don't we normally have ammonia in our urine?

It hasn't seemed to be as bad today or yesterday.

Wondering if it has to do with herx/die off? Was Herxing for about 5 days... on Bicillin.

--------------------

Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

phyl... after going to the dr, they ran my urine... and I don't have a UTI.

They took blood, and are checking my kidneys. So I hope to know tomorrow how they are functioning.

--------------------

nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you eat cabbage or any plant in the family (broccoli, cauliflower), it makes your urine smell horrible.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

good to know. But thats not it.

--------------------

Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nefferdun interesting...

sometimes mine smells like bologna for no apparent reason

Figured I'd join in the sharing :-) did you change anything else you've been eating or taking ? do you take a whole food mutlivitamin?

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

I haven't changed anything.

I did notice that today the burnt smell is stronger again... and I got my shots of Bicillin yesterday.

So I'm guessing it has something to do with the die off. Maybe Kidney issues. But, I didn't hear back from my Dr about the blood work that they did to check my kidney function, and they are now closed till monday.

--------------------

Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would follow up with the doctor to make sure of this not to freak you out but just in case they overlooked it. I did bicillin shots for 16 weeks and never had that issue but everyone is different right? Could be your getting rid of something bad!!!

--------------------
Ms. Geet3721

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

I have followed up with dr about it. They screened urine for UTI, which was negative.

They drew blood, and are checking kidney function. But, I now won't know those results till monday.

Dr. is waiting on those results before doing any changes in meds. I know that liver is doing fine.... ALT and AST results this month are almost normal... last month were high.

Just thought I would pick everyones brain here.

--------------------

Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Ms Geet... just reread your post. I will call them on monday.... they are closed until then. I didn't get what you meant at first... lol Lyme brain

--------------------

Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Not you so much my Lyme brain took over my fingers that was one gigantic run on sentence from hell I wrote :-)

Still funky smelling pee?

--------------------
Ms. Geet3721

Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Yup

--------------------

tickle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is an old thread, but I have started having the same problem.

Urine smelling like burnt plastic or something.

Last night it was so strong, I was really worried. No pain, no discolouration, just this odd smell that comes and goes...no pun intended.

Posts: 161 | From vancouver island | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
tickle,

Assuming your water intake is good (10-12 glasses a day) and your diet well balanced with not too much protein - and you've considered any new meds or supplements in the equation -

it's probably a good idea to ask your doctor if it's wise to run a urinalysis.

If you have to wait for an appointment, I'd first just get some home test strips as as preliminary effort.

I never see any point of worrying. What is, is. And, usually some kind of action can set things right. Often, we just need more water, spread out during the day.

Infection can cause urine to smell all kinds of odd. Since you seem to be fairly newly diagnosed, that's to consider, too.

Still, it's good to check with your LLMD who is guiding your treatment.

You may want to be sure to avoid ibuprofen as that can stress the kidneys by constricting blood vessels.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36441

Icon 10 posted      Profile for tickle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am newly diagnosed, but apparently I've been infected for years. Also, I do drink a lot of water. I'l discuss it with my dr.

I wonder if it has anything to do with detoxing? That's what I'm hoping it is. [Smile]

Posts: 161 | From vancouver island | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement