LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do you take your thyroid medication a full hour prior to eating?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you take your thyroid medication a full hour prior to eating?
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thyroid numbers have recently dropped and my hair has been falling out. I am wondering if its because I don't wait as long to eat after taking Armour thyroid as I used to.

I usually wait at least 15 minutes to eat or drink decaf coffee with milk in it.

Could this be the reason?

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor said to wait an hour. When was the last time you were tested? If your numbers have dropped, you might need to adjust your thyroid medication. I use Nature Throid, it is dessicated like Armour and I do better on it.

Also, I take cytomel (T3) in addition to Nature Throid. My numbers free T3/T4 are still not high enough, but my hair has stopped falling out and my eyebrows are growing back.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2680 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to wait an hour at least and take it alone..no other meds or food. My doc said leave it by bed and take it when you get up for bathroom in morning, especialy if you go back to bed for a bit after.

It works best taht way. I take armour since it is the best for thyroid issues. I have been on syntroid and cytomel and both, also natur roid from llmd..but armour does the trick...You need your dose raised if you are having issues. Women especially go up and down with counts so you need to keep track every couple months of thyroid counts..

I never lost hair or eyebrows and mine was very very low for years. I had fatigue and memory issues and strange periods from it.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have your levels checked. I have not been entirely faithful on waiting to take my synthroid. I don't think I get the full dose doing it that way, but haven't had any issues with hair, etc

I am not a doctor, nor do I want to be.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1966 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milk especially may not be a good idea due to the calcium.

I wait about 15-20 min to eat after my thyroid med, but I make sure not to drink any milk, eat yogurt or take any mineral supplements.

If you use the same schedule and foods each time you dose, whatever thyroid level changes you get will be due to your thyroid, not food. However, since you changed your schedule, best to test and see where you are... or go back to the same schedule you used to use.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes!! must take synthroid on EMPTY stomach...wait at least 45mins to 1 hour before eating.
Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaMelvis
Member # 26818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaMelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. My endo has me taking my thyroid med at night, before bed. Finally, my levels are in the normal range!

--------------------
~*Melvis*~

`

Posts: 80 | From Midwest | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly I do not wait so long.

You can have the meds near your bed (and a covered glass or bottle of water )and swallow it first thing you wake up.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Armour sublingually (dissolve under tongue). Then you don't have to worry about food interactions. You may want to ask your doctor about taking it this way.
Posts: 4679 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take cytomel with food.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 6 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your input! I have been less diligent about taking it an hour ahead of food... Setting the alarm to start popping pills was getting old!!! Stressful actually...

I think I will get back on the proper schedule and if symptoms don't improve rapidly I will get a higher dose.

I have slipped back in the last few weeks with a few symptoms so I am thinking its all related. I WILL get back on track with balanced health!!!

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you need to wait the full hour with Armour and natural dessicated thyroid meds. And you must take it alone without any other meds and supplements.

Cytomel can be taken with food.

Posts: 5187 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement