LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Proteinuria - Protein in Urine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proteinuria - Protein in Urine
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

So, as I expected, my urinalysis did indicate protein in my urine, level was 100 (I think acceptable is 10 or less).

I am trying not to be too stressed, but reality is I am. My LLMD put me on K-Drain and parsley drops. I am also drinking Yogi kidney support tea as well as the usual binders of cholestyramine and chlorella.

She did not indicate for me to stop my IV Merrem, but I did. I was suppose to add IV Rifampin today, but I didn't. I have a message into my LLMD office to advise what I am doing. She wanted me to take the kidney support for 1 week and retest. I am certain I have a build up of ammonia in my system due to a bad taste in my mouth, my food taste is weird, sort of deadened as well, which I've read can be associated with kidney malfunction.

I'm scared the disease is going to take my kidneys, though trying not to stress, it's hard. My blood work for kidney function, so far, has been in normal range. Can die off cause the protein? I'm certain this has been going on for several weeks, pretty much since I started the IV Merrem, so not a transient thing. My infusion nurse explained that the pharmacist said this is not a normal side effect of the med itself.

Think I need a break from the computer to calm myself...but, will check back here for any input. I know proteinuria is a common problem with dogs and Lyme - often leading to serious, if not deadly, kidney malfunction, but not so much with humans. I get scared this is the beginning of serious kidney issues, hope not.

More than anything, thanks for listening. I will talk about possibility of KPU and/or C-diff with my LLMD; I see him in 2 weeks. Thanks again. TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^
Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be a good idea for you to seek a consult with a nephrologist. In the meantime have your doc repeat the UA.

Since your bloodwork is nml (assuming you're referring to creatinine/BUN) there is no need to panic!!

IMO you did the right thing by stopping the IV Merrem and holding off on the IV Rifampin til you get clarity on the situation. You are following your instincts, which is a good thing. But you need repeat bloodwork drawn.

I don't know much about KPU so can't comment as to whether this could be the root of the problem.

Curious though why you mention C-Diff??? C-Diff causes a lot of GI problems but to my knowledge is not associated with protein in the urine.

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Hi AlanaSuzanne,

I only mentioned C-Diff as I read past posts about protein in urine and this came up. I didn't really research it. I do not suffer from any GI distress currently so don't think it's an issue for me, just grasping at straws.

My LLMD is having me do another urinalysis next week after I've been on a couple of kidney support supps, blood work will also be done. Yes it's been normal as far as creatinine/BUN and anything else that might point to kidney function.

I'm trying not to panic, but I am scared - a little too much reading online I'm afraid. I will know before I get test results back if the protein is still there; it's very obvious to me by my almost colorless pee (even after sleeping all night as I drink a lot of water during the day) and the bubbles that are present.

I suppose I should make an appt with a nephrologist. I hesitate as I so much hate discussing the Lyme thing with an illiterate doctor. I'm sick as it is and just hate to have to explain myself and be under such scrutiny and disagreement. But I am concerned enough about this that I guess I should....thanks a lot for your response. TS

karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 100 is no reason at all to panic.
Longterm you should find out what it could be, but you may not.
I think lyme, parasites ...have to be treated.
Many people live with protein in urine.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Thanks, you guys are helping me calm down a bit. Of course, I'd like reassurance that kidneys are okay. The bad taste in my mouth/lack of taste really has me down. To lose the pleasure of tasting food is a bummer for me - as trivial as that may seem.

Mind you, I have had a numb tongue for the better part of 5 years so it may be a cranial nerve thing; however I am inclined to think it's more related to kidneys as it's a bad taste in my mouth - like toxic, toxin build up sort of thing; it sounds weird I know, but have read about this correlation. If it was just completely no taste, then maybe be more inclined to suspect cranial nerve. Also, of recent, my blurry vision has really intensified.

Sigh....so confusing. I have a good ILADS LLMD that I see again in 2 weeks; I pray he'll have better insight. Thanks. TS

Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hum the taste thing reaaly seems to be from a cranial nerve to me especially if you also have the blurry vision which means your optic nerves are being overwhelmed too... If i were you i'd stop the medication for now and and focus on detox and binders...
Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement