LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Aunt has new onset Bells Palsy (lives in UK just visited US)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aunt has new onset Bells Palsy (lives in UK just visited US)
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi my mum just called me and said my Aunt had onset of Bells Palsy last night, she went to the ER today thinking it may be a stroke but they said it was Bells palsy.....problem is they gave her steroids, the kicker is she was just in the US....Visited Connecticut...my Uncle was here for a battle field tour,,,,.and she did some outdoor work and the people involved told them to tape pants etc as there was lost of ticks in the area......

my question is how long does it take for the facial nerves to be affected??.....

I am worried that they gave her steroids if it is tick involved it just seems odd that this would happen 2 weeks after being here.....my mum is really concerned after watching me for the last few years....

what do you think???

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHY do they always give steroids for Bells Palsy???!! AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Can she taper off of them SOON?????

It's bound to be from Lyme. Almost always is. Now the tests will be skewed.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95055 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Florence1:

my question is how long does it take for the facial nerves to be affected??.....

-
I think it can happen pretty quickly.

www.TreatTheBite.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95055 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TEll her to go to Breakspear Medical (google it.)

They are lyme literate in the UK.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 80% +/- most days.

Posts: 3113 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticksickfamily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticksickfamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is ridiculous. The NHS should have done a proper job and taken a proper medical history including travel.Not many Accident and Emergency depts.in hospitals in the UK would even consider Lyme except for a few on the South Coast near the New Forest where it is more common.I suppose it may be viral in origin but the Palsy needs investigating properly
Yes, Breakspear is her best bet for Lyme in the UK unless she could manage to convince her GP about her problem by using Burrascano's guidelines- some GPs are receptive. Perhaps she should join eurolyme, then she could tap into local knowledge in the area where she lives (would this be in the North West ?)

Posts: 174 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my mum hasnt even mentioned it to her as it was only today......i dont even think my aunt would of even thought of it until my mum talks to her tomorrow.......but even on the NHS website if you look at bells palsy it does say tick bites should be ruled out but they didnt even question her.......

--------------------
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Bells Palsy problems started several weeks after exposure as did the bulls eye.

Dr. K's comments every time I hear him: Bells Palsy is Lyme. My Lyme history started with Bells Palsy, though I am not convinced that I was not a "carrier" since childhood having spent many camping vacations in the Black Forest. In fact, I am convinced of that now. I did not break down from Lyme until other neurotoxins kept being added. Many people are carriers and do not get very ill.

I still have residuals of Bells Palsy today, though not very obvious to everyone. But my facial nerve never quite corrected back to normal.
I no longer suffer from Lyme and
KNOWN co-infections.

However, If I had any such exposure again today, I would immediately get on www.GcMAF.eu Lyme is much more aggressive today (per Dr.K. who sees it daily) than it was years ago and "think tanks" are still searching for underlying factors
(per Dr.B. and Dr.K.) -- viral, etc. to find a more effective treatment.

Maybe I am not expressing it clearly, but Lyme of today is different from the Lyme some years ago. But we have also found ways to deal with it more effectively.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Lymetoo...why would it change the tests even though they are not reliable anyway???.....

The Dr said to stay on the steroids over the weekend even though my mum went with her and pointed out all the complications of steroids ....the recent exposure to ticks and my story.....

--------------------
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement