LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anybody ever have a sleep study done?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anybody ever have a sleep study done?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As part of the tmi evaluation I had to have a sleep study done. Also had to wear this oxygen monitor at night to measure levels. Have not gotten results yet. Anybody ever have this done???

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you post your results when you get them randibear.

I had one and results said I had alpha wave intrusion. Sleep doctor thought this could be due to pain. I've read alpha wave intrusion is common in people with chronic fatigue.

What's tmi?

Usually they're checking for sleep apnea which I didn't have fortunately.

Posts: 1292 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry meant tmj

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a sleep study done and it only took about 5 days to get my results which were...nothing. basically said I have a little hypersomnolence which I think just means tired. :/ I had the study done because it takes me forever to fall asleep unless I take Lunesta but I wake frequently during the night and wake up so so so tired!
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to do one, but the stuff attached to my head caused such severe pain in my head that I couldn't sleep. So I bailed on the test after an hour.

But it did show my oxygen saturation dropped when I was asleep (asthma treatment helped me get better sleep, so I assume I was having asthma at night while trying to sleep, hence the lowered oxygen sats).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
finallylyme
Member # 33807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for finallylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had 3 sleep studies.

First one because my then Neuro thought all my symptoms were due to sleep apnea... which I don't have. Even made me do one with a CPAP machine. It was horrible.

Just had a third last month with my new neuro because my blood pressure is up. I have delayed onset and insufficient time in stage 3? sleep. So he started me on trazadone. I do think i"m sleeping better, but I think it's making me congested.

--------------------
I have Lyme - but it doesn't have me.

Posts: 70 | From ohio | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuluBellesMama
Member # 22583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuluBellesMama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be getting one soon

--------------------
------------
9.16.09 IGG+ 23 41
9.25.09 dx w/Lyme
10.22.09 first LLMD Appt

http://www.mylymelife.com

Posts: 69 | From CT | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi, I had it done and had to wear it for four night to a minimum of 4 hours a night. It read that i had a moderate lack of oxygen many times during the night and needed to consult a pulmonolgist, which I hvae yet to do.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had 3 sleep studies.

I have alpha-delta sleep anomoly, which is ubiquitous in Fibromyalgia.

I also have severe delayed sleep phase onset (translation: I am officially a night owl and will never be anything else without drugs to make me go to sleep earlier).

I also have obstructive sleep hypopnea (this is shallow breathing, rather than a complete stoppage of breathing, but they told me it is just as serious. Hypopnea is also strongly associated with Fibromyalgia and the oxygen meter showed I have it when I am awake as well.

The hypopnea was at the serious level so I've been using a nasal pillows CPAP for 6 years now. I fall asleep the minute I lay down now, and sleep for 3-4 hours before waking up. Before, I could not sleep more than 1 1/2 hrs. before the alpha wave intrusion woke me. It has not helped my morning stiffness, fatigue or panic attacks in my sleep as promised though. (I found another way to stop the panic attacks while sleeping).

I had a terrible time sleeping at the sleep lab too, but they can get a lot of data from a short time, only 2 hrs. of sleep in my last time there, so it may be worth it. I read that untreated apnea/hypopnea takes an average of 9.5 yrs. off your life due to a 400% increase in stroke risk, a 500% increase in heart attack risk and an increased risk of diabetes and obesity.

klutzo

Posts: 1267 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I did two of these. Was diagnosed with shallow breathing as well. I wasted many months trying to use the machine, different masks, different drugs. They wanted me to take a drug to sleep, a drug to breath while I slept and a drug to keep me awake. Really, really?

Then, the pulmonologist who went along with all this said it was because I was 20 pounds overweight, all while he had a huge grain belly. He gave me steroid spray for my shortness of breath.

What a bunch of patooie if you ask me, at least in my case.

It was lyme, bart & babs. Treatment has resolved my fatigue. I sleep fine now.

Big pharma, ugh.

[tsk] [shake] [shake] [shake]

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleeping dog
Member # 27267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while i was getting tested for everything, prior to my lyme diagnosis, i had a sleep study. the doctor prescribed it because i was always exhausted and i would fall asleep at inappropriate times during the day (ie often had to pull over when driving to nap, at a funeral, etc.) i had a night and day study done. at the time, they said that there was nothing abnormal in the night study. the day study showed that i was on the verge of being narcoleptic. that was it. they charged my insurance company about $8000 for a whole lot of nothing. lyme disrupts sleep and causes exhaustion and malaise; that is what i've since learned!
Posts: 43 | From new jersey | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluemoon
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one done, but it was worthless...I seem to have a problem reaching stage 3,4 sleep, but the study only looked at REM and nonREM sleep...if you're getting a study done, make sure it is able to monitor all the stages of sleep to be of use.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done over 10 of these. Currently have used a BiPAP machine for 4+ years. Had pretty severe sleep apnea (wake up 30 times per hour w/o machine). Even after using this machine religiously, NO Improvement in fatigue. It's unexplainable. All others I know who use the machine have had life changing results. They are so happy. I'm always the complete failure. [Frown] Makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm sure with me it's all Lyme or something else. Same ole' crap. [Frown]

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two done. I have Sleep Apnea, and it does help me to sleep better once I get to sleep. That is the problem for me. Getting to sleep. But once asleep, I usually sleep straight through until morning.

I'll take every bit of help I can get. I am still sick with Lyme, but at least not as tortured by untreated Sleep Apnea. Fatigue still remains, but with a "slight" improvement.

A person can become psychotic from untreat Sleep Apnea.

Do everything you can to help yourself.

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had 4. I have moderate sleep apnea (wake up something like 70 times an hour to breath). I also have the alpha intrusion that is common in fibro and diminished REM sleep.

Been on an auto pap for 7 years. It does help and according the my machine readings my sleep apnea is well controlled. Unfortunately those of us with lyme don't usually get the great results that others get who have no underlying illness.

If you have sleep apnea and don't treat you are 400% more likely to have a stroke according to my sleep doctor. Also more prone to diabetes, weight gain, heart problems, fluid retention, sudden death in your sleep and the list goes on...

It's worth having it done and if you have it, getting a machine and using it!

PS
Besides the apap treatment, the use of the active form of folic acid (metagenics folapro) has helped tremendously to keep me asleep once I go to sleep.

Terry

Posts: 6285 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement