LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » coconut water???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: coconut water???
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anybody try this stuff? I bought some and hope to see improvement. Can you herx on it?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't answer this because it made me heave when I tried it. It tasted like the stuff you have to drink for a colonscopy and I've had 4. I do actually like real cocnut milk straight out of the cocnut.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have to admit I drank one today and also thought I was
Going to gag. I've kept it down but I think I'll just put it away until later. It also hurt my stomach..wonder why.. I read it was antiparasitic and antibacterial. Hmmm

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
A good brand of coconut water should taste pleasant and refreshing.

Much depends on the brand and how they treat the coconut during processing. The container can also make a huge difference in taste - best from glass.

Check to see if there have been any additives.

I was very disappointed a brand of the refrigerated Coconut Milk. It does not taste at all like coconut and there are additives. Big sigh.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started drinking coconut water recently and I love it. To me it tastes great. Antifungal and antiparasitic.

I refrigerate it and pour it in a glass with ice. You can also add some other juices to it like pomegranite which is antiparasitic.

Make sure it says 100% coconut water and has no additives. Best when it's cold.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm coconut water is super good

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

why does it make my stomach hurt tho. It's been hours and it still hurts

--------------------

nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear, you might be sick. My stomach has been hurting for weeks.

I just got two cases of coconut water and have my first glass of it beside me as I write this. It is different. It doesn't taste like coconut. I read it is taken from green coconuts that have not developed the nut yet so I guess that is why it doesn't taste like coconut. I was thinking it would be really good with some carrot juice added to it.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randi,

It could be that the reason your stomach hurts from it is because it might be hitting some of the infections. How much did you drink?

Like with anything that goes after infections, it could start causing a die off. Just take it slow.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

it came in 8 oz so I added ice and drank the whole thing

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If it tasted really bad, I'd take the bottle back to the store and request a refund.

Next time you get something new, you might open up a bottle in the store to see if you like it enough to pay for it (finesse helps) and/or to buy multiple bottles.

Curious, there are actually some answers at Google to my question:

"How should coconut water taste"
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. When I had a bad bart herx recently, this helped me get past it.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trubeee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trubeee         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ randibear, was there 'added sugar'in the coconut water? That could have made your tummy hurt! We have to read labels, and often they package it so that it 'looks' healthy but it really isn't!
Posts: 195 | From - | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

it was lacroix coconut flavored sparkling water. No sugar no additives was this the wrong kind
To buy?

--------------------

mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nefferdun, I lived in Hawaii and drank green coconut milk, it tasted nothing like the coconut water that I got in the store. I have tried 2 kinds and YUCK! That's all I can say about it.

I don't remember the names of the 2 I have tried, but the were organic, sugar free and gross. Sorry to all you coconut water lovers, I just can't do it...

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

well my stomach is still giving me fits. Evade the pain. I got a six pack free so I'm throwing it out....ugh

--------------------

glm1111
Member # 16556

randi,

Lacroix sparkling water flavored with coconut is not the same thing as pure coconut water from the young coconut.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If the label reads:

"flavored" or "flavor" or even "Natural Flavors"

Sadly, that is not the REAL thing. It's a chemical process. They really try to trick us.

"Sparkling" or carbonated water can be very caustic to the tender lining of our stomach, too. It's sure fun to drink a fizzy drink now and then - but our insides don't have such a party with it.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Wow, the packaging is very attractive and clean. Sadly, this is NOT coconut water, at all.
--------------------

http://tracker.dailyburn.com/nutrition/la_croix_la_croix_natural_coconut_sparking_water_calories

La Croix natural coconut sparking water

Ingredients: carbonated water, natural flavor

--------------------------------------
�Natural Flavors� can translate to MSG, and many other toxic chemicals.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7389748n

60 Minutes - November 27, 2011

�THE FLAVORISTS: Tweaking tastes and creating cravings"

Video: 14 minutes

See how they make �Natural Flavors� from chemicals - in a big vat, baked in plastic bins, etc.

--------------------------------

Blaylock speaks to the dangers of "Natural Flavors"

http://www.russellblaylockmd.com/

author of: Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills, Russell L. Blaylock, MD (neurosurgeon)

----------------------------------

http://www.russellblaylockmd.com/

Sudden Cardiac Death and Food Excitotoxin Additives

Excerpt:

. . . When an excess of food-borne excitotoxins, such as MSG, hydrolyzed
protein, soy protein isolate and concentrate,

natural flavoring,

sodium caseinate and aspartate from aspartame, are consumed, these glutamate
receptors are over stimulated, producing cardiac arrhythmias. . . .

======================================

http://www.livestrong.com/article/187219-carbonated-water-side-effects/

Carbonated Water Side Effects � March 2011

Excerpts:

. . . Carbonated beverages can cause an excess production of stomach acid, which can irritate the stomach lining and cause a peptic ulcer . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Taste Nirvana has REAL coconut water in glass bottles -- excellent for many reasons.

Taste Nirvana is one brand that uses glass bottles for coconut water. They also have some cans which are at least BPA-Free. But glass is still best.

http://www.tastenirvana.com/default.php

Their Real Coconut Water is just that, coconut water, not flavoring.
-

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the second time - There is a virus going around that causes stomach pain, bloating, gas, diarrhea and vomiting (although that part is short lived). The people I know that have had it, including myself, wondered if they had been food poisoned.

I am just getting over it. I had it for weeks. My husband, who does not have lyme, also feels it and he never vomited.

I got VitaCoCo. It comes in packages like the juice you get for kids. It is 100% coconut water, not from concentrate. The reason I got it was because I was complaining about my stomach hurting and someone suggested coconut water - ironic that now people are suggesting it is causing the pain.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

let me explain.

my husband has a torn muscle in his back. i have been inside the house for a week now without going out to take care of him. so no contact with people.

the only thing i did yesterday was run to the target right down the street, buy this, and return home.

there is, as far as i know, no viruses going around here. talked to my sisters and yes, there is something going around in ohio, but not here.

the only thing differently i did was drink this water so the logical assumption was that it was this water and nothing else.

it is not "ironic" at all. and since i didn't know that carbonated water can be so caustic and that i didn't buy the "real thing" my statement makes perfect sense.

i am not knocking coconut water at all, i'm just saying that what i drank, the wrong thing, did cause stomach pain for me.

--------------------

glm1111
Member # 16556

randi, If you can't get out of the house, you can order it online from vitacost. I think you could benefit from this.

I would sip it at first to see how you react. It could start help you clear out the parasites, and other pathogens. I am finding it to be pretty powerful.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What were you hoping for the coconut water to help?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

I just thought it might be good for energy. I saw something on tv about people liking it and thought i would fry it.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't think it'll do much for energy

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

It has boosted my energy and cleared my brain fog.

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's everywhere now. The coconut water I mean. There is a virus going around here but it hasn't hit our house (knock on wood), but then we don't do flu shots and all of us take high dose vitamin D.

Randi--like your doctor has said, it's the stress you are under. Adding some carbonated drink certainly wouldn't help either.

Hope you feel better soon and hope your husband gets better too.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taste Nirvana is one of the better brands if you like the "Asian" harvested coconut water flavor. If you like "Latin American" style, then One Natural Experience (ONE) is one of the best brands. The latter comes in TetraPaks which are BPA free and environmentally friendly, with the added bonus of being available in 1 Liter boxes.

Coconut water, for those who don't know is VERY different from Coconut Milk. If you harvest the coconut at its immature state (young "green" coconuts) the water hasn't matured into milk yet. Coconut water is clear or very lightly clouded white, and has a light refreshing taste. It has lots of electrolytes and quenches thirst better than just about anything out there. It has more nutrients, less sugar, and no added colors or flavors unlike sports drinks. It is also known to have the same benefits as coconut milks, save of course for those resulting from the fatty acids.

Be wary that there are many that are now using from-concentrate coconut water or adding sugar, flavorings etc... Though, there are some "flavored" versions that make a fine treat provided they include high quality mango, pineapple, aloe or other juices, but you really need to read the box. Some even comes with coconut pulp/flesh, which of course adds a little fat and calories but is beneficial overall for most. Be sure that it states NOT FROM CONCENTRATE on the container; sadly "Zico" and a few other common brands have products that use concentrate.

I would stick to the following brands: Taste Nirvana, ONE - One Natural Experience, as well as any USDA Certified Organic versions which sadly, I've not been able to find in considerable volume.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
click on Amazon to the left on this site . hit health. hit coconut water..Tons of choices ,,,Vita coco and one. are what I usually get ,,mostly vita....NOT PLAIN and I didn't like pineapple/.. liked..mango , pomer, OK It's got lots of potassium ........and a site at bottom of page to check..
Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement