LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Please help - itching all over under skin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please help - itching all over under skin
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom is having a really hard time. I have posted about her before and awhile back had posted about her having very swollen, itchy lower legs.

She described it as an intense itching coming from inside under her skin that is now all over her body.

It seems to be at its worst at night and comes in flairs. There is no cycle to it.

She has tried benadryl, topical steroids, lotions, etc. The only thing that seems to provide minimal relief is raising her legs up and putting ice packs on them.

But, now it's all over her body.

She was (and it kills me to even type this) put on high dose steroids for about 2 months late summer/ early last Fall.

Ever since then, things have gotten really bad. We are currently waiting on a new round of tests to come back.

She has not been diagnosed with Lyme, although it's strongly suspected.

We are on a waiting list for an LLMD.

Has anyone ever experienced the itching like this and if so, what did you do for it and what causes it?!

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many reasons why people itch, Isolated or whole body. I hope the test she is waiting for can explain why this is happening.

Read each page on this site below, it may help explain some of here itching.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/itchy-skin/DS00847/DSECTION=symptoms

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treatment of Body Itch
To address the causes of body itch a Doctor may recommend one or more of the following approaches:

Tranquilizers

Oral Antihistamines can help to bring some relief. One side effect in a few products is tiredness, so check package labels if using the product during the day (Kirkland AllerClear or other products such as Claritin that contain Loratadine are a good choice for a low cost non-drowsy anti-itch antihistamine.

An alternative are products with Ceterizine, which is the active ingredient in Zyrtec.) Do not use Benadryl (diphenhydramine) as the active ingredient could cause an allergic reaction in some people.

Corticosteroids Itch creams and lotions can help to reduce skin inflammation and itching from problems such as poison ivy. good for application to small or localized skin areas. (Make sure they contain camphor, menthol, phenol, pramoxine, diphenhydramine, and a caine derivative, which is an anesthetic) . When applied to the face do not buy products that are more than 1% hydrocortisone (a good choice is Aveeno).

A doctor may prescribe an oral corticosteroid for more severer or widespread skin conditions. Do not use on infants without the advice of a Doctor due to bloodstream absorption.

Hydrocortisone creams/lotions (These only help if the itch is responsive to cortisone. Additionally, many are too weak to make much difference.)

Ice packs - ice slows down the c-fibers, the pathway the body uses to signal an itch.

Cold showers. Avoid using hot water and do not bathe for long periods of time. Use a small amount of soap and pat dry. Some relief may be available with the use of a moisturizing lotion after bath that is additive free (additives may result in skin reactions).

Facecloths (Interrupts the itch cycle)

Hot water (Kills the itch temporarily, but it will return even worse. Not highly recommended)

Natural remedies such as Itch Dr. for general itching (contains ingredients such as Vitamin E, aloe and tea tree oil), Anal Itch Assist and Hive Away can all help to relieve itching using gentle herbal and natural ingredients.

Motrin IB ibuprofen - an anti-inflammatory

Oatmeal based topicals such as Aveeno

Cortaid 10 (hydrocortisone 1%) anti-inflammatory that handles itching and swelling/redness. Takes longer to work than topical anesthetics.

Dermoplast Spray (benzocaine 20%, menthol .5%) virtual instant relief for surface itching and pain.

Mycitracin Ointment (polymyxin B 10,000 IU/g, bacitracin zinc 500 IU/g, neomycin sulfate 5 mg/g) Good to prevent infection.

Ignore the itch - try distracting yourself with a video game. There is some scientific basis for this approach.

Itch a location that doesn't each - try itching the opposite area of the body (e.g; if the itch is on the left arm, itch the right arm). This approach confuses the brain and may help reduce the desire to itch.

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry your Mom is having a hard time.

Maybe try an oatmeal bath. Aveno makes one.

Good luck and hope it stops.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds horrible. I hope they can help her VERY SOON!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95822 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your replies!

She explained it more as a feeling of her blood itches - rather than an external itch.

I'm wondering if candida could be causing it.....

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by momintexas:

I'm wondering if candida could be causing it.....

-
Of course I was wondering the same thing! I had horrible itching from candida. Tell her to cut out anything that resembles a starch or sugar, including artificial sugars.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95822 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
shishtosiomasis cause it , blood itching .
Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Pyrithione soap is for yeast in the skin.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by manybites:
shishtosiomasis cause it , blood itching .

-
Please check the spelling of that. I'm unable to Google it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

steve1906
Member # 16206

(Schistosomiasis)

This site below does not mention itching with (Schistosomiasis) I did found this on another site-Initial invasion of the skin may cause itching and a rash (swimmer's itch). In this condition, the schistosome is destroyed within the skin.

http://www.medicinenet.com/schistosomiasis/article.htm

--------------------

steve1906
Member # 16206

Hi manybites, I'm so happy you were able pin-point your symptoms, and then cure them.

I had this itching problem some time ago went away after about two months on its own. Im sure it was related to Lyme.

Its a terrible feeling, I hope momintexass mom finds whats causing the itching.

PS. I love Disney World, been there about 40 times Ill have to remember to stay away from animal park (waters)!!!

My next trip is planned for August 2013

--------------------

Katy Lu
Member # 36459

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katy Lu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a similar itch. Like momintexas's mom, it's not the skin. It's occuring beneath the surface. I scatched until the skin was raw. Then it burned like crazy - both the skin and underneath. Trying my best to ignore it and hope it goes away. Thankfully, I don't have it all over. Hope your mom finds relief!
Posts: 14 | From Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allergy to medication or yeast both come to mind. Could possibly be a food allergy.

Terry

Posts: 6282 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

I really think it's from yeast.

Her results just came back and she tested very high for yeast.

Have a follow up appt coming up.

Thanks for the replies.

ItsMyTurn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItsMyTurn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could this also come from parasites? My husband has same itch. It comes and goes. Some days are worse than others.
Posts: 182 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is she gluten free and dairy free? I would definitely avoid those 2 food groupings immediately and completely. I have a friend who had constant sores and discomfort all over her legs. My LLMD suggested going gluten and dairy free, and all of her symptoms went away. Completely.

Also, just to cover all bases, go to a good allergist for a full work-up.

Not everything has to be disease related. Some things can sometimes be simple to fix. I hope this is the case with your Mom.

Good luck.

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement