LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Iron makes bacteria more virulent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Iron makes bacteria more virulent
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just keep finding more pieces to my puzzle. The vitamins for the MTHFR mutation do not have iron. I asked why and was told it is because it makes bacteria more virulent.

I have high ferritin which is the way body stores iron when there is too much. The body will turn iron into ferritin to hide it from the pathogens that also use it.

I just found out today my brother has hemochromotosis which is another genetic mutation that causes the body to store too much iron. This can cause a lot of problems including diabetes, which my son has. Given my test results I probably have it too and so does my son. Treating it can stop the progression of his disease and also help me.

So I am blown away. Another piece of my puzzle about why I am not getting well. The iron is making the bacteria stronger.
Everyone needs to be aware of this new bit of information. Even if you don't have high ferritin, don't take supplements with iron.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS Hemochromotosis causes fatigue. MTHFR causes chronic fatigue. Hypercoagulation causes fatigue. Babesia causes fatigue. No wonder i am tired.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
birdie67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdie67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to know, thank you!
Posts: 486 | From USA | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
betty1939
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for betty1939     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is interesting. I have the MTHFR mutation too and I have beta thalassemia which is a type of anemia that is not low in iron but can look like it is, but is actually a smaller red blood cell or rod shaped cells.

I have high ferritin levels too and know that I can accumulate iron easily and store it in my organs including my brain. My dad had it and died from liver cirrhosis caused by hemochromatosis.

My dad was 100% italian and this type of anemia effects other mediterranean nationalities as well. I have often wondered if there is a connection between my high ferritin levels and my lack of recovery from this illness.

I only had lyme 9 months before I started treating but had babesia close to two years before I started treating it.

--------------------
Lyme IGG/IGM positive 12/08
Babesia Microti IGM positive 12/08
Hemobartonella positive 1/11
mycoplasma 6/11

Posts: 162 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me iron feeds Babesia

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

betty, you should have your blood drawn ( and discarded) until your ferritin levels are lowered. Then continue to do it every 3 to 6 months. Don't eat any red meat or shell fish or fortified food.

With women symptoms often show up more after they go through menopause and are no longer discarding blood every month. That is so true! Menopause was horrible for me and afterwards I felt like I lost a huge portion of my mental capacity.
My energy ( which was never very high) plummeted.

Maybe this mutation is why they did blood letting in olden times.
It actually worked for a few people who had high ferritin so they just did it to everyone.

My brother never knew what he had; just that his ferritin was high and the doctor was drawing blood. He quit having it done thinking it was an unnecessary expense (he doesn't have insurance). After then he was hospitalized for surgery and got a staph infection from which he almost lost his leg.

Now he has cirrhosis of the liver, Heb B and diabetes. I just told him yesterday about what I discovered and the importance of addressing it. How could his doctor not see it in his blood work?

I also told his wife but their primary concern is getting the medication for free in some trial and I don't know if they will even tell the doctor about this critical fact that could literally kill him.

I am going to look up the beta thalassemia. I have never heard of it. I wonder how that would affect you.

With MTHFR, you should check to see if you have hypercoagulation because that would slow your blood flow down, make it harder to get medications into your tissues and harder to get the toxins out. It can also lead to stroke or heart attack. Your body and brain is not well oxygenated because the blood flow is slowed. I want to get heparin but until I see a doctor again I am taking Boluoke.

I also order DMSE for chelation. i had just started spirulina and chlorella when I discovered the iron connection yesterday. They both have iron - spriulina is extremely high. I am not sure about chlorella.

DMSE does not have iron (as far as I know) so I think it is safe for me. It does deplete some minerals so they need to be replaced. I will quit everything else for 3 days every two weeks and just do that. Then replenish minerals.

I believe doctors helping us need to do more blood tests so treatment can be more specific to us as individuals. Amy Yasko, who has performed miracles bringing autistic children back does this. It is not one size fits all recipe approach.

My GP has a new partner and I am going to make an appointment with her to go over some of this until I can see a more competent doctor. I think I will try to have a consultation with someone like Yasko.

--------------------

elainer97
Member # 33917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elainer97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what this means for those of us with low ferritin? Mine has been low for a few yrs- before and after hysterectomy. I take 324 mg of ferrous fumerate daily and my levels are still low but gut-wise that's all I can handle. And it's hard to work it in between everything else.

My body needs proper iron levels, but am I feeding the bacteria, etc with the iron supplement? Arrrrgggg! Can none of this be simple? :\

Posts: 77 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ME TO <<I STARTED EATINGB LIVER CAUSE SOME +ONE MWNTIONED LOW IRON FROM DISEASE <

NOT THAT IT FED IT<<<<

THIS INCLUDES VITAMINS>>and Immuplex????

Lord Am I making myself sicker .by all this?/

Take Mag,but get Diarrhea, take Iron cause they eat it up and fatigue, no Q 10 with Mepron...

Where is the do and don't list

Now some one said caution with cryptoleptis SP?

[bow] [confused] [shake] Nonna

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I guess the Yasko consultation is out - for now at least. She requires her own tests which are not covered by insurance (anyone's) and the cost is over $2200. This would only be useful to anyone with the MTHFR mutation; not the rest of you that have lyme but not MTHFR. I will keep looking.

It is not just fatigue that these things cause. My brain is so foggy, so hard to learn and so hard to remember things. It is like sludge - like to trying to get your engine to turn over when it is 30 degrees below zero.

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was the opposite. My ferritin was very low and I had to supplement iron. I know it feeds babesia, but it's not like I could starve out the babesia by restricting iron. Even with supplementing, my ferritin was still very low. If I hadn't supplemented iron, I never would have been able to get out of bed due to low hemoglobin.

Everyone is different ... that's why it's hard to get well ... we all have a different puzzle to figure out.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annelet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annelet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Hemochromatosis as well.
The hemochromatosis genes make it more likely that you will absorb Lead than the average person. I have very, very high levels form renovating an old house.
Iron and Zinc compete for absorbtion, so I became low on Zinc... and could be KPU as well.
www.irondisorders.org
www.toomuchiron.ca

Posts: 250 | From canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annelet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annelet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember that Lyme bacteria is one of the very few that doesn't require Iron.... but many other bacteria and viruses thrive on it.
Posts: 250 | From canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, great thread, Neff! Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neff... thank you .... I took my new vitamins today -- multi and wondered why I am feeling a huge flare... could it be the iron in my new vitamins... I think I wasn't doing iron before... ugh... I need to hit the hay now but it is surely something to look at... thanks Neff for all your great info... I am sure glad you are figuring out these pieces to your puzzle...
Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement