LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What exactly does Glutathione do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What exactly does Glutathione do?
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that this is in one of my books about Lyme, but I'm too tired to look it up.

I believe it is used to help detoxify the liver, but not sure.

What is the main purpose of Glutathione in treating Lyme?

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Rather than actually "detoxing" - since glutathione is naturally manufactured by the liver itself - it allows the liver to do its job to metabolize toxins.

It's fine difference but I just keep going back to how it's really the liver doing the work. Glutathione is a bit different than how antioxidants quelch free radicals.(Also important help to the liver but a different action.)

There are many kinds of liver support that can help the liver make glutathione. Milk Thistle is just one of those.

I find Wiki usually provides a great start:
---------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutathione

Glutathione

==========================

http://www.maxintern.com/glutathioninhumandisease.pdf

The Importance of Glutathione to Human Disease (Townsend, et.al.)

Eleven page pdf - 2003

===========================

Google: Glutathione, Townsend+Letter

============================

It's important to know that Acetaminophen blocks the liver's ability to produce glutathione. (And Ibuprofen can sharply decrease blood flow to the kidneys).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aperture         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reduces cytokines.

--------------------
aperture

Posts: 551 | From Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand, the liver uses Glutathione to detoxify poisons.

Apparently it's better to supply the liver with all the things it needs to make glutathione, rather than take the glutathione itself.
But some people feel better when getting glutathione by intravenous infusion.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read that glutathione is an antioxidant that helps your immune system, helps to prevent cell damage, and helps to detoxify your liver

I tried adding milk thistle and foods that boost glutathione like broccoli, garlic, onions, eggs, meat etc., along with supplements like alpha lipoic and NAC. I didn't really feel much of a difference.

I have tried glutathione IV. I felt better (actually really good almost like pre-Lyme) for a couple of hours each day until about 3 days after the IV.

I had liver enzymes that were headed up week after week despite milk thistle, liver detox teas, stopping all meds and herbs, and other detox methods. After one glutathione IV they went down lower than they have ever been. So for me, that was the most important benefit.

--------------------
http://www.lymepie.blogspot.com

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto what Summer said.

I also tried IV glutathione and felt really good that day (excellent detoxer).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started getting regular glutathione infusions and am loving the results.
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm going to give it a try.

Did you use the IV push? What dosage did you use? Also, do I need a prescription from my doctor to order this?

I have a port in my chest and can administer it myself. I will discuss it with my doctor at the next visit.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I never had IV glutathione, yet I found out the hard way that, for other things, a drip is MUCH better than a push.

A push is fast, say 20 minutes. A big syringe is used and it's literally pushed into the vein.

A drip, about 45-60 minutes and is much easier on the body because it's slower.

Now, it may be that if IV glutathione is the only thing in the push, it would be very short and easy. Just be sure to ask.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Thanks Keebler. Do you feel that you benefitted from the Glutathione?
Summer3
Member # 35286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Summer3   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only had a push at a doctor's office. It takes about 15 minutes and they do use a huge syringe. The glutathione I get is mixed with other things sort of like a Meyer's cocktail. I haven't had a drip (other than anesthesia once) to compare it to.

With the push I generally get dizzy and have some head pressure which feels kind of strange.

One time I had some burning but I think it was because I had just had blood drawn in the same arm.

--------------------

Posts: 1129 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is the most powerful antioxidant that is produced in the body. This explain it pretty well:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/glutathione-the-mother-of_b_530494.html

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get a push (big syringe). If they go too fast I get the head rush but if they go slow it's fine. I guess it crosses the blood brain barrier. If they do it over 15-20 minutes I'm fine.

One thing I learned is that it can cause a detox reaction that looks like an allergic reaction. this happened to me but after it passed I felt much bette than before.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Haley,

I never got glutathione as IV. I just did not know at that time (12 years ago) to ask about it from non-LL offices when I got IV magnesium & vitamins.

Wish I had known.

I will say that the magnesium & vitamin IVs were manageable from one place as a drip, but - at another ND's office, a magnesium PUSH was sheer torture. SHEER TORTURE. It burned beyond belief.
-

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be aware that if you have an allgery to sulfa drugs, you may react to the Glutathione.

I am allergic to sulfa drugs. I was given an antihistamine prior to the Glutathione push. It did not affect me immediately, but the day after getting it I started have horrific itching. This went on for some time.

My doctor believes in my case it could be a detox reaction and not a reaction to the Glutathione. Because it was so intense, I doubt I will do it again.

Hopefully it will help you.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

I also did get some sort of reaction at the highest dose which included a couple of hives and some burning.

Doctor said it was a detox reaction. He said the fact that I felt significantly better after the reaction (best I've felt in awhile) that it confirmed it was a detox reaction.

They said allergy was unlikely to glutathione. That being said, you can get too much of a good thing. My doctor was working up my dosage slowly. Next time we are taking a step back on dosage.

tickled1
Member # 14257

...it was burning skin on my chest and neck 4 hrs. after infusion, not at the injection site. I have no burning at injection site.

By too much of a good thing I mean you can detox too fast. Your body can dumpt toxins faster than you can handle.

Summer3
Member # 35286

Mine was mainly burning along the vein running up my arm to my shoulder. It had magnesium in the push so I'm wondering if maybe that caused the burning? One time it hurt, the next time it didn't. The magnesium was in it both times.

It wasn't enough pain to keep me from doing it again though.

--------------------

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Sammi:
[QB] Be aware that if you have an allergy to sulfa drugs, you may react to the Glutathione.

This is true for me. I was allergic to sulfa drugs long before being exposed to Lyme.

I did the detoxigenomic test and it showed I don't have a functional detox pathway for glutathione. I can't take it in any form. It's a genetic thing.

I am successfully detoxing via FIR sauna.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the push at my docs office the first visit two years ago and I have NEVER had a headache that bad and I have had some horrendous headaches with Lyme. I think I may be like Robin. My doc said it was because I am not a good detoxer and couldn't process it. I have stayed away ever since.
Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

So what does someone do if they have so called "glutathione wasting" but can't tolerate glutathione? I thought everyone needed glutathione. I'm just trying to understand.
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a search to see what we do tolerate for treatment and detoxing. For example, I'm doing well with food substance anti-inflams like mangosteen juice, noni juice, grape seed extract and curcumin. FIR sauna detoxing is working.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

If I do have an issue with sulfur and keep trying the glutathione IV's is it dangerous?
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had my first glutathione IV. Took about 30 minutes. I was herxing pretty badly the last three days. Just started pulse rifampin about 3 weeks ago and it seems to have hit me pretty good (on Mino and Azith also).

After 10 minutes I felt very relaxed and calm. I went from feeling at a two or three to maybe a 6. Neck stiffness has dimished, joints not near as achey and head seems a little clearer.

I will do this next week as well so we will see if this improvement continues. I took epsom salt baths and lots of minerals but this did not help much until the glut IV today.

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An alternative to these infusions would be to take undenatured whey proteins, like Immunocal. Also expensive though, but less of a pain.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aperture         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same experience as Matt H. It was wonderful. I now use Glutathione suppositories from compound pharmacy. Not as good as IV, but still better than gel cap form.

--------------------
aperture

Posts: 551 | From Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I have some questions about glutathione. If most people get a few hours of relief......first off why take it? Does it eventually offer longer or does it help the immune system to kick back in?

How do docs know that you need it?

How long and how often do you take it? Is it a long term thing?

Thanks.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Summer3
Member # 35286

I think most people get a few days of relief. I just started and only get a few hours but they are well worth it. To go from feeling so poorly to completely energized and healthy is great. I had one today and ran 3.5 miles! I have not been able to do that for a LONG time.

The main reason I get it isn't really for relief of symptoms although that's nice. I have liver issues that don't respond very well to other detox methods like milk thistle, dandelion root, NAC, liver detoxes etc. My liver enzymes get very high and then I can't take antibiotics and many herbs. The glutathione and perhaps other elements in the IV help to keep my liver enzyme levels in the normal range.

I also have neurological and heart issues that were rapidly getting worse. These symptoms are helped by the other vitamins and components of the push. The IV seems to keep them from getting worse and sometimes even improves them for a few days even though the energy doesn't last.

--------------------

pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I have some questions about glutathione. If most people get a few hours of relief......first off why take it? Does it eventually offer longer or does it help the immune system to kick back in?

How do docs know that you need it?

How long and how often do you take it? Is it a long term thing?

Thanks.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

pme,

If you could feel the effects first hand you would know why we do them. They make you feel awesome and if it's only for a short time it's worth it.

They are supposed to lessen your toxic load so the effect should last longer and longer each time.

As far as it being a long term thing, I think once you get to a place where you've significantly lowered your load of toxins you can switch to other methods of getting it like liposomal glutathione, glutathione suppositories or a precursor like NAC that can help you make your own glutathione.

tickled1
Member # 14257

Also, my husband has seen enough of a difference in me from them in a short amount of time that he is willing to fork over the cash for them. That's saying a lot.

I also have a cold and feel better than usual. Come to think of it, it's probably thanks to the glutathione that I actually have the cold. I'm sure you've heard of others on here say how they haven't had a cold in ages b/c our immune systems are too tapped out to form the immune response to have a cold.

pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Tickled
Thanks. That makes sense. I would pay a million dollars for a few hours of feeling good. I hear ya.

Congrats on your cold! I know what you mean. My daughter has awful food allergies since birth but never got sick with a cold. It was when she started to be less reactive/immune challenged that she started to get common childhood illnesses.

Thanks for explaining

How expensive is it?

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

I was caught in cytokine storms. It lessened the cytokines and gave me some time to breathe.

--------------------
aperture

tickled1
Member # 14257

I pay $75 per infusion where I go b/c it is closer to my house than my LLMD's office. My LLMD charges $50.

I was told to get them once or twice a week. I know. Incredibly expensive. We are still trying to figure out how to finance this whole thing!

Aperture, Can you tell me how you were able to determine what you were experiencing was a cytokine storm? I was suspecting that with myself when I was taking cholestyramine but I didn't know how to figure out if it was that or not.

Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will insurance pay for IV glutathione?

Would it be a bad or good thing to try if you are really bad at detoxing? Apparently my body doesn't get rid of toxins well.

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

tickled1:

The LLMD's told me based on my symptoms.

My eyes would get cloudy, red and glazed over. My face would get red. I would get so weak that I felt like I was gonna collapse.

It happens when I am on too many antibiotics, can't detox the bugs nor the meds.

I'm stuck in a lower level cytokine issue fighting off just the bugs.

It was HORRIFIC on the Cholestyramine. All of the above symptoms plus I was so weak it felt like too much energy to breathe in and out.

pme: the Glutathione suppositories are $98 for 15, I use one every other night. I tell you, I have only used them twice so far, but I slept through the night both times...all because of lowered cytokines.

I wish I could use the push regularly, but I don't know anyone in the medical field who can give it to me.

My body cannot detox anything...I have the bad HLA gene...so I need all the detox help I can get because stuff stays in my system and the cytokines go after it.

--------------------
aperture

tickled1
Member # 14257

Thanks aperture,

I'm so sorryt you went through that and have the dreaded genotype. Glad you get some relief from glutathione.

Do you know what specifically about cholestyramine causes cytokine storm? I never was able to pinpoint that info.

I think after I do a few more infusions I will switch to suppositories. Do you have any experience with liposomal glutathione?

aperture
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34822

tickled1: I also take Liposomal Glutathione and have been for 2 mos. It cannot compare to the IV push or the suppositories.

I would rank them: #1 IV push, #2 suppositories, #3 Liposomal

Others keep in mind, it only reduces cytokines, so if cytokines are not your problem, I doubt the result would be so noticeable.
(I need to qualify my post: my LLMD told me that it only reduces cytokines, but many here have stated it helps with detox)

I don't really know what it was about the Cholestyramine that caused the cytokine storm.

I guess it pulled too many toxins out too fast and my body couldn't cope. I think in Dr. S' biotoxin protocol, he uses Actos to prevent this...Actos or not, I am never going near Cholestyramine again.

I'm sure it helps some people, but not me.

[ 03-27-2012, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: aperture ]

--------------------
aperture

tickled1
Member # 14257

Thanks aperture. I'm sure all of us here at LymeNet could benefit from a little detox or else we wouldn't be here. It is accumulation of toxins which causes us to be sick in the first place.
MattH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MattH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My DO knows what I am dealing with and lets me make the call. After a tough weekend and the increased fatigue, brain fog and other symptoms and a nice note from Brussels I figured this would be helpful.

So I talked to the nurse and she gave it to me at 11 this morning. I think it has reduced my toxin load. So I will do it again next week and see what happens.

Insurance will not pay for it but at 50 dollars an IV it was worth it so I could go into work today. My son is feeling pretty bad today also so we my take him in for an IV on Friday. He has no school on Friday.

My DO is not my LLMD she is the one that diagnosed my mercury that finally led me to my LLMD when only some of the symptoms resolved.

I will update this after next week.

All the Best, MattH

Posts: 607 | From Houston Texas | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Matt, glad it brought you some relief. I hope it does the same for your son. I'm so sorry to hear he is struggling. Really tugs at my heartstrings when it comes to the kiddos.

I have to address my one amalgam soon. I think it is fragmenting.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement