LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone have a low red blood cell count?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have a low red blood cell count?
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering what it may mean.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia maybe?
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia or just plain ole anemia... or Celiac disease.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95978 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Known causes of low red cell count:

Iron deficiency
Vitamin B12 deficiency
Folic Acid deficiency
Lyme
Babesia
Ehrlichia/Anaplasma
(Don't know if other coinfections can also cause anemia)
Malabsorption - e.g., Celiac Disease

I've had a low red cell count for a long time. Mine is from malabsorption, possibly Lyme/coinfection (not Babesia), and "chronic disease." My anemia is unresponsive to nutritional support, and also does not respond to red cell stimulating medication.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine nosedived from when I had it tested RIGHT after feeling sick, to 3 months later. The likely cause for me is babesia.

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
razzle,

Very good list. I would also add bartonella to the list as well and intestinal parasites such as giardia and ascaris.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea-your hubby had this with low hemoglobin and hemocrit, right? I thought his went up after a found of factive but then nose-dived again.

I also have low RBC, hemocrit and hemoglobin. Persistently...I know it's infection, not sure which one...I've treated most of them very aggressively.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I didn't know all of those could do that (fascinating). I didn't even think of celiac (not eating any gluten though).

Blinkie, I have the low hemocrit and hemoglobin too.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also depends what you are taking right now. When I was on clindamycin/qualaquin pulse, my rbc was low. When I tested two weeks later, it was back up.
Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some others I also forgot to add to the list:

Kidney disease
Bleeding
Blood diseases (mostly cancers & such)
Injury
Over-hydration, dehydration

One other oddity that was seen with me in the hospital was, when they took blood through my PICC line, the hematocrit & hemoglobin would be lower than when they took blood through venipuncture.

Blood draw through PICC was at the same time as blood draw through venipuncture. The hospital re-ran the tests numerous times because they couldn't understand how the numbers could be so different! The doctors didn't have an explanation either...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

I had a low count even when I went undiagnosed with lyme. She never said anything about it.

--------------------

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
blinkie,

Hubby's RBC, hematocrit and hemoglobin were all normal for probably the first 8 years of his illness -- but most of that time he was not treated very aggressively.

In 2009 I think it was he started having issues with these numbers. RBC was somewhere between 4.0 and 4.5 -- basically borderline normal or slightly low. This was while hubby was on a 5 drug combo to treat babs, bart and lyme all. The doses were moderately aggressive.

Then after a year or so when hubby switched from levaquin to factive his RBC went to normal and stayed there for about 6 months.

Then we started treating babs aggressively at the beginning of 2011 and hubby had the 5 high fevers of over 101 with hospitalizations. That is when the ehrlichia/anaplasma started showing up. RBC and hemoglobin and hematocrit bounced around a little but mostly stayed low all of 2011. This was the first time hubby ever had issues with low WBC.

Most recently hubby's RBC and WBC were almost back to normal finally while on the sida acuta and ivermectin and all the other babs meds.

Hubby has been off all antibiotics, antimalarials, antiparasitics and killing herbs for 31 days today. His RBC and WBC both have started falling again -- OFF of all meds.

So we are pretty sure he still has an infection -- or multiple infections. Hope the next round of tests can help direct further treatment.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have also a low platellete count?

My RBC is normal but platellets have been going down in the last few years.

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

My platelet count drops cyclically about once every 2-3 weeks. I suspect Lyme to be at least partially responsible.

--------------------
-Razzle

blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bea-this is all so frustrating, isn't it? Mine have been chronically low since my tick bite. Like your hubby...borderline normal to low.

My LLMD says it goes with chronic infection (of multiple possiblities)...I think it's specific to one of these buggers.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manybites
Member # 33750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manybites         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me was babesia.

I ended up after the car accident with blood transfusion .

Only combo Biaxin , plaquinil , Mepron and cryptolepsis brought the numbers back up to normal range .

I confirmed the diagnose as my neutrophils were high after the blood transfusion .I had also all symtoms of babesia.

Posts: 1379 | From disable | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement