LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter




The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive


The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mold & Lyme

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mold & Lyme
JBS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My adult son was just diagnosed with Lyme. He and his wife have been living in an apartment that had black mold in it. They have been complaining so long that the apartment just came last week and got some bleach and washed out the ventilation system. Hopefully, it is gone.

I ran across a mention of mold in one of the posts. Is there any more particular danger from the mold to a person with Lyme than a normal person? Is there any lab work they should do to make sure they are okay?

Posts: 132 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow this is very complicated to anser. But yes, mold MIGHT be an enormous problem, it really depends on the persons genes.

Go to survivingmold.com for more info

The method used for the mold treatment is inadequate. The spores are now covering everything that is in the apartment, including carpets, clothings, furniture. Everything that can not be washed or wiped down (for example cloth couch and books), should be thrown out.


You can read about appropriate mold remediation (which is ungodly expensive) on the aforementioned site

Since it is an apartment, my advice would be to look for another apartment to rent.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes! That makes so much sense. They just need to move. I just hope that they are okay. My son's immune system is down, so it can't be great.
Posts: 132 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot depends on what kind of mold the black mold was. Not all black mold is Stachybotrys, not all black colored mold produces biotoxins.

Like Amanda said the best place to learn about it is Survivingmold.com. About 25% of people are succeptable to mold illness. Lyme and mold are both biotoxin illnesses and they present themselves with the same symptoms.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Moderator
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was exposed to a mold not considered to have biotoxins but it still wreaked havoc on my immune system. With non-"toxic" mold, you don't have to get rid of all your stuff, but you still have to address it in your body and in your home.

Black mold is significantly worse, but don't write off other mold as not being a problem. It was huge for me.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real Time Labs has the most accurate urine test. The test is expensive $ 699.00 but it will list the 3 mycotoxin groups and if you have the mycotoxins in your body.

Mold poisoning has a lot of the same symptoms as tick borne disease. They should be tested for the HLA defective gene for mold suseptability and universally slow detoxer. Quest and Lab Corp does this test.

Bleach will not get to the root of the mold only the surface.

If I rented and there was mold, I would move.

One thing I found out when I had mycotoxins in my body was that while I was living with mold, detoxing did not help since I was breathing in more than I could detox. I also have the defective gene.

I made no progress with my Lyme treatment while I had mold poisoning.

They could do an ERMI test but the landlord should be taking care of the mold problem not the renter.

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy! It's expensive being ill! I'll see if I can get his doctor to order some tests. If his insurance will pay for the tests, he's met his deductible and co pay. But he told his doctor about the mold and she saw the results of the Lyme and low immune functions, and didn't order any tests - that may be an indicator of what to expect.

They are renting and it's a cheap apartment. So it's not so easy getting the management to step up. The management told them to use bleach every time they take a shower. But I think their lease is up soon, so I will forward the info to them.

Posts: 132 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3


The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations. If you would like to support the Network and the LymeNet system of Web services, please send your donations to:

The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey
907 Pebble Creek Court, Pennington, NJ 08534 USA


| Flash Discussion | Support Groups | On-Line Library
Legal Resources | Medical Abstracts | Newsletter | Books
Pictures | Site Search | Links | Help/Questions
About LymeNet | Contact Us

© 1993-2020 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to Terms and Conditions.