LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Stimulants and Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stimulants and Lyme
katrinab
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrinab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are stimulants bad for people with Lyme?
Posts: 723 | From boston,ma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The HPA-axis is nearly always adversely affected by lyme, and the entire endocrine system goes kaput. the body is unable to handle stimulation or exertion very well.

Stimulants can turn the basic lyme adrenal dysfunction into adrenal failure - and that can be life-threatening.

The heart can't take it, also can be life threatening to have too much stimulation.

The various nervous systems can't take it. Brain function can't take it.

The nerve fibers can't take it due partly to demyelination that goes with lyme - they can overfire or misfire and seizures can result.

Details:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT

---------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with cardiac symptoms please read ! And - What helps support the heart.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katrinab
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrinab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok,so are we talking a cup of coffee is bad or being a meth addict? How much is too much?
Posts: 723 | From boston,ma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are also outside stimulants, like i posted in another thread.

noisey restaurants
somebody picking on me
being around loud people
loud noise
crowd
odors

i need peace and quiet and my furry friends and i'm happy. no homo sapiens....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Dr. Burrascano in his guidelines says: NO CAFFEINE.

That's pretty clear. One cup of coffee is too much if it causes even the slightest stimulation. Even the slightest, for that can have a cascade effect.

And, really, it's impossible to have a cup of coffee (counting one cup as 8 oz.) and it not be stimulating. That's what it does.

Some can handle green tea as it also contains an ingredient that calms and balances out the caffeine - usually, and for most.

But, even decaf coffee has too much caffeine for many with lyme. So can green tea.

But you can find naturally decaf green tea.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Page 27. Section: Supportive Therapy

ABSOLUTE RULES

(second line) No caffeine or other stimulants . .

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

------------
As important as any supplements, sections regarding self-care:

Go to page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

and also pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.

----------------------
This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

�� Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease ��

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008) - Four pages
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Another class of stimulants: food & beverage additives.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Some other insight as to why it's best to avoid all stimulants.

This excerpt has been tremendously helpful in coming to some kind of understanding about my reactions.

For myself, this is not about personality or character but solely about my body's ability to manage all the stimuli coming in - while so ill and managing all that inside my body.

Truly physiological but, then that can also impact emotions, understandably. So be kind to yourself and plan around this for the best outcomes.

----------

http://cassia.org/essay.htm

When To Suspect Lyme Disease

� by John D. Bleiweiss, M.D.

. . . Lyme patients can be easily irritated by anyone just walking into the same room even though eye contact is never made or words exchanged. . . . .
-

FamilyFive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FamilyFive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on the person, what your body is used to, how you are effected by the lyme and co's. Many people say they really listen to their body and it has paid off.

I went off caffeine 2 separate times for long periods and felt worse. I eat no sugar, no carbs, no alcohol and stick to an organic diet. I now drink 1 small cup of coffee a day and love every minute of it.

That said, if I started to have anxiety, the shakes, or any other symptoms that I felt were attributed to that, I would go off it again. It would stink (just like no sugar!) but I'd do it.

Best to you!

My LLMD is perfectly ok with it.

--------------------
FamilyFive

Posts: 218 | From Maryland | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thales
Member # 37611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thales     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the first year of my disease I took methylphenidate to combat brain fog and fatigue. It was a great help.

But then a lyme-relapse occured and since that time I cannot bear even small doses of caffeine. It leads to nervousness, palpitation, anxiety and a worsening of my infections. The cognitive benefit, however, has completely vanished.

It's like a switch was turned off in my brain oder my adrenal system or whereever.

Posts: 2 | From Germany | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several people do take Adderall or Ritalin or Provigil to function. I know of a couple top Lyme docs who prescribe and even advocate this. I've been on Adderall since before Lyme with an ADHD diagnosis but I rarely actually take it because I'm so sick it doesn't even make a difference. But if I get a day I might function a little, it can make a difference between staring at the walls or walking in circles and actually being able to focus and have a little energy and accomplish something. I do know a lot of Lymies who take those type of meds, in moderation, to help them function.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everyone is sooo different on how this disease is affecting them. I agree with the above poster my body tells me what I should avoid. In my early stages coffee/caffeine was a no go. I can tolerate a cup of coffee or a glass of tea with lunch currently.
Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement