LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How did you FINALLY get a positive test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How did you FINALLY get a positive test?
joahsark
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joahsark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very strong clinical diagnosis,just about every symptom,especially severe encephalitis, body weakness and pain and heart irregularities.

Grew up in Pa with history of multiple tick bites, sick many years, been treating a year with an ILADS LLND who has told me she "would bet her life" on the fact I've got Lyme, bartonella and prob babs, and that I'm in desperate need of IV. I herx very stongly to abx, and have a young daughter who has a positive elisa and is sick.

Doc now suddenly says due to "investigation" of some sort she can no longer treat without the "proof" of positive tests. My most current WB has IGM-41+++, 39 IND, the IGG has 41+++, my previous WB has IGG 34IND, 41+++ and IGM 41IND.
These are from Igenex.

How long and what meds got you a positive test? I'm currently on zith and Rifampin, doc ordered one more labcorp blood draw in four weeks, if that's negative I'm kicked to the curb. Highly doubt Labcorp will find anything. I'm left to find a doc who will treat clinically.
In shock and don't know where to turn.

Thanks everyone.

Posts: 219 | From pacific nw | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The new ADVANCED LABS CULTURE test is the best way to go but it's very expensive.

Details here:
---------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=015508;p=0

Diagnosing Lyme Disease (&/or whatever else is going on)

Other tick-borne infections and other chronic stealth infections - as well as certain conditions - that can hold us back are discussed here.

==================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=013239;p=0

(What ILADS is) . . . WHY you need an ILADS-educated, Lyme Literate Doctor - starting with assessment / evaluation.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never had a positive test. I'm an imposter!! [Big Grin]

Was successfully treated nonetheless.

Hope you can find an LLMD with guts.

PS .. take a tetracycline or doxy for 3-4 wks then go off 10-14 days .. then retest THRU IGENEX LAB.

From DR C's Western Blot Explanation:

"Giving patients 4 weeks of antibiotics (usually tetracycline, 500 mg, 3 times a day), will convert a negative or equivocal Western blot to positive in about 36% of cases."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95978 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Have you considered a RIFE MACHINE ?

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=117755;p=0

Topic: RIFE Machine - Reference LINKS
-

[ 06-07-2012, 02:35 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.igenex.com

Test #188 and 189

costs around $200

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95978 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Then what, though?

A MD will likely also insist on a positive lumbar puncture and ELISA (according to the two tier IDSA rules). As you likely know, lumbar puncture is NOT a good test for lyme but the IDSA ID doctors still insist upon it for a diagnosis. ELISA is not, either.

An IDSA ID doctor would likely ignore a IgM Western Blot, too. They'd want the IgG positive, but, again, would also demand other tests that usually fail to find lyme.

Get a LLMD on board first as they may not take even a positive test seriously and, even if IV is prescribed, 30 days is likely the max.

Vet the MD first, so you don't waist time and money on a test they won't acknowledge.

With the other tick-borne infections and your LLND's clinical diagnosis, there seems little question. I'd save the money from the test and put on treatment.

There is one (maybe more) excellent LLMD in Seattle. Of course, lack of insurance is the drawback for many.

Wish your LL ND could suggest a local MD for you who could work along with them -

Ask at your area support groups for all the options.

- after some searching I see now that you are in the Seattle area. At least you have some good choices there. If insurance is the door slammer, you might consider RIFE treatments. That has helped many in similar situations.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by joahsark:

Doc now suddenly says due to "investigation" of some sort she can no longer treat without the "proof" of positive tests.

-
I was going by this, Keebler. Was hoping this Dr would treat with a positive test.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh, sorry. Good catch, TuTu

I was thinking of how a new MD would approach this. I'll leave my thoughts regarding that.

joahsark,

Wonder if you can find out what "proof" that doctor needs. If she is an member of the IDSA, then, is she going by their rules?

If so, she may not accept Igenex tests (although they are top notch).
-

joahsark
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joahsark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys, I'm in Wa. My doc for the next thirty days (I'm cut off after that if no positive) is one of those top LLNDs in WA. Trained with absolutley the best on the east coast. I have absolutely adored her for the past year and felt lucky to be her patient. It has been the first time I've had hope in 18 years.

This new development has truly shocked me.

The WB results I posted were from Igenex. She did tell me to have my MD order the advanced lab test if the Labcorp test was negative and then come back to her.

I get the volatile and scary position our docs are in, but feel suddenly abandoned, I can't wrap my head around that a few weeks ago she told me desperately ill I am with these infections and suddenly leaves me with no treatment at all. My concern is especially for my 11 year old daughter who isn't well yet.

My current protocol is the first I've been able to get on completely due to severe herxing. Do you think there's any chance a month of the zith and rifampin might do it?

Thanks agian.

Posts: 219 | From pacific nw | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"This new development has truly shocked me." (end quote)

Is that 30-day, "positive test proof requirement" for the MD treatment or for LLND treatment?

Since under a different licensing and governing board, it is my impression that NDs can treat long-term. [But that you need a MD there for the IV treatment.]

Please do not give up or despair. There are always other ways. Always.

The LLND will likely be aware of the best herbal approaches and those may work well for you. Surely, you won't be cut off from other approaches with the LLND?

She may also know about RIFE.

Still, if looking for the very best test, the ADVANCED LABS CULTURE test seems the best. But, it's $600.

Still, most MDs will not treat lyme long-term.

To be clear, your LL ND would NOT be able to treat longer - with ANY method - unless you get proof positive?

I am sorry this is so challenging. I still think there is a way this can all work out.

I assume you've talked with Dr. K's office ?
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:

Do you think there's any chance a month of the zith and rifampin might do it?

-
You mean to "cure" it or to elicit a positive test result?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

BoxerMom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sent a PM.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh, good. BoxerMom to the rescue. Someone who knows the neighborhood.
-

joahsark
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20598

BoxerMom,

Thank you so much! I PM'd you back but your box is full. I'll try to send it agian later today.

joahsark
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20598

Lymetoo, I was referring to getting a positive result with the zith and rifampin.

Keebler, yes, it's the LLND who will not continue treatment without some kind of positive test. Can't believe my daughters positive Elisa isn't enough. She is an ILADS, well known doc, that's why I'm so shocked. She did say she would be able to go on with ANY positive test meaning any of the co-infections or Lyme but I just can't seem to get that.

Unless there is some miracle with labcorp at the end of the month I will invest in the Advanced Lab test, it must be ordered by an MD, so I will ask the Lyme Literate Psychiatrist (who I was referred to by the LLND for pain and anxiety since she can't order meds for either of those here in Wa) to order it for me, also the LLND says she's positive a spect scan would help too since my brain inflammation is so severe, brain MRI's have failed to really show significant findings.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you guys for taking the time to respond, You read about this kind of thing happening to Lyme patients but definitely don't grasp it until it's your reality.

Sending you guys all the best.

BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cleaned out my mailbox.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debilyn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debilyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you have to be off all abx for 4 weeks prior to taking the Advanced Labs test. You can double check this at their website.

Also, they say to do the blood draw for the Advanced Labs culture early in the afternoon because the pathogens are more active.

When I did the test, I had not yet been on abx; I was operating under a FM/lupus dx. Also, I was in a pretty brutal flare when I had the blood drawn.

My positive results were back in two weeks. Sometimes it takes up to ten weeks to get the results because Bb grows so slowly.

These are some things to consider. You will find the right way to go; just keep going forward.

Posts: 331 | From West Coast | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except for the surety of the new Advanced Lab culture test, it is NOT Lyme-literate to insist upon a positive test for the rest of the Lyme tests. Many people do not test positive on the other tests even though they may have the illness.

See www.canlyme.com/seronegreasons.html for the reasons why.

Some of the most ill patients do not test positive, and after they are treated some, are strong enough to mount an antibody defense and show up positive.

That's why I am surmising this doctor is experiencing some political backlash pressure of some kind and that's what's behind her insistence on the need for a positive test.

Once again, except for the new culture test, Lyme-literate doctors know better - they know we don't always test positive even though we're ill, and they treat clinically, based on history and symptoms.

Posts: 13084 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Her doctor knows all of this - backward and forward. As does joahsark.

The doc is being investigated and is nervous about losing her license. She wants positive labs to justify treatment, if it comes down to that.

Many of our LL docs are under investigation. It's not that they don't understand the testing issues or the clinical diagnoses. They are trying to save their practices.

joahsark is looking for strategies - abx or herbal - full moon - week before your period - when you're flaring - whatever - to get a positive test result.

And some comfort to help her through this bump in the road.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'm sorry to hear that the "investigations" have moved to the LL NDs, too. I had thought the different licensing and governing boards than those for MDs provided some wise flexibility.

Also considering that Bastyr University is in WA - perhaps THE most prestigious naturopathic college in the country - I would have hoped that might have some supportive effect for the LL NDs in that state and the NW region.

My wish is for the very best turn around for this very soon. In the meantime, nurture and nourish and just, generally: tender loving care.
-

joahsark
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20598

Boxermom, thank you, could never have said it better myself.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions, I will use them all in my battle for continued treatment.

As been said a thousand times, you all are absolutely invaluable to so many.

FamilyFive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 37206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FamilyFive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lots of great info on here. I had a hard to diagnose case. I never got a positive on any blood test.

I got strong positives on IGenex Lyme Dot Blot/LDA (Lyme Dot Assay) and fluid drawn from my knee (both my knees are very swollen).

With the LDA I had to take 5 days of abx and did urine samples every other day (3 total). 2 of the 3 samples were positive. (Pieces of the lyme bacteria are excreted thru urine) And I went to an orthopedic dr to have the knee fluid drawn.

--------------------
FamilyFive

Posts: 218 | From Maryland | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Lymetoo, I was referring to getting a positive result with the zith and rifampin.

-I don't think so. I would do tetracyclines or doxy.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Allie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While you are looking for *any* positive test, be sure to add in rocky mountain spotted fever - you can do it through labcorp/quest (but don't know how reliable they are).

Good luck!
Allie

Posts: 300 | From Northeast | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Cpn or Mycoplasma might also work. Treatment for those can mirror (or sort of walk beside) that for borrelia and may not be as "controversial".
-

joahsark
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20598

I've made a list of all the additional tests suggested by everyone here and will request them if these next ones are still negative.

Thank you all so much!!!

AuntyLynn
Member # 35938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AuntyLynn         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joahsark -

Advanced Labs DOES require that you are OFF of antibiotics for four weeks before the test.

On the other hand, my Mom tested positive for Bb by Spinal Tap 3 years ago, and like you, she had lived with Lyme for at least 15 years!

Her neurologist told me that "once Lyme is in your system for a while, it most likely won't show up in a blood test as readily as in your spinal fluid, because it gets everything it needs in the spinal fluid, and tends to migrate there."

Which is why my Mom's symptoms were 85% neurological.

I was reticent to put her through it, but my sister took her, and Mom came through the tap with flying colors. (They went for ice cream right afterwards!) And the test was POSITIVE as ALL GET OUT! Even the Neuro was shocked, as she said that in her 20 year practice, she had only tested one other patient, and the CSF was not "definitive" but she treated him for Lyme anyway, because of his symptoms.

The Advanced Lab test is a "culture" test, that tries to grow Bb from eggs in your blood... if you're lucky enough to get one or two in the sample. It costs just under $600, but for my purposes (which include legal issues) it would be very hard to deny a positive, as they send you a photo of the bugs that they have grown from your blood sample!

So ... for whatever that might be worth to you.

Posts: 1432 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

That was pretty "lucky", Aunty Lynn. The spinal tap has about a 20% chance of showing positive for Lyme. Many ducks use it to "prove" to a patient they DON'T HAVE IT.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Rarely will a spinal tap (lumbar puncture) show borrelia. IF it does, great - but that is very rare indeed and it's never a good test for lyme or one to trust if negative.

A negative test can never be trusted as it does not guarantee absence of lyme at all.

It's like fishing. If you catch a fish in the river, you know there are fish there but if you don't catch a fish, that does not at all guarantee their absence.

Most doctors do not know that, however.

Most LLMDs are well aware of the severe limitations of that test.

If that test is negative (which is usually the case), then all other future tests that may be positive are never regarded by most doctors.

Often, those who have spinal taps are not able to go for ice cream later - and they are instructed to lie flat for quite some time in order to avoid migraines which can be very severe, indeed.

Sometimes - and not all that uncommon - it can take a week or two of recovery. Some fly through but that is certainly not always the case.

It's very expensive, potentially dangerous, can be painful and not a good bet. Far better tests exist that are less painful, and even less expensive (but, of course insurance won't cover those).
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Like minds post at the same time. [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A wink and a sunny smile to you, too. Oy, vey, eh? - just trying to keep everyone safe and fully informed.
-

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LUAT

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joahsark
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20598

Thank you for the info on the spinal type, unfortunately I had two of those done years ago when I was still on my quest for a diagnosis.

One of them was one of the worst experiences of my life. I stopped counting after 10 tries to get the needle in the correct spot in my spine, they finally called an anesthesiologist down and got it done but on top of my never ending head pain the headache that was caused by that was completely unexplainable (and I'm used to severe head pain), went back to the hospital doubled over, screaming inside my head, and crying, they did a blood patch, no help.

I would never do another one unless my literal life depended on it. I'm thankful it's not reliable for Lyme, never want to go through it again.

I do appreciate the info so much though, and like I said, I'm keeping everyone's suggestions in case the Labcorp and the advanced labs tests don't work.

You are all the best!

joahsark
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20598

So as predicted, the labcorp tests for both my daughter and myself came back negative.

The doc did say her cd8-cd57 percentage ratio (?) was very low (1.8) which showed her immune system was struggling. She says she completely believes it's lyme and co-infect. but can't "prove" it and needs to for her practice at this time.

So off abx again for 4 weeks to hopefully get the Advanced Lab Test.

Just read about the Galaxy Bartonella test where they do a blood draw mon, wed and fri and test all three. Interesting, says that in the case of a positive testing patient, they nave NEVER had them be positive all three times, reinforcing the fact that you have to get the blood at exactly the right time.

Do you guys think it's a better bet for the Bart test or the Advanced Lyme test to get a positive?

Just making sure, I can still take my Bolouke, natto and serrapeptase, correct?

poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing how things turn up on lymenet just at the moment you need them. For a friend of a friend.
Thanks lymenet.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement