LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hypermagnesemia - level of Mg too high in blood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hypermagnesemia - level of Mg too high in blood
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dr. F. has also found that Lyme disease patients - more often than not - have an

overabundance of magnesium."

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/tinagarcia/new%20treatment%20dramatic%20results.htm

99% of the magnesium in the body is in the cells; while

only a mere 1% of your the bodys total magnesium is in the blood.

Mg2+reserves in the body:

Bones about 60%,
Cells about 40%
Interstitial compartment and Serum (blood plasma) About 1%

Hypermagnesemia is a very uncommon clinical finding,
and symptomatic hypermagnesemia is even less common.

It is usually concurrent with hypocalcemia (low calcium) and/or hyperkalemia (high potassium).

But...possible reasons why hypermagnesemia MIGHT happen include the following (from assorted weblinks):

Kidney failure is #1

Excretion of magnesium becomes impaired when ***creatinine clearance*** falls below 30 ml/min

There are many more things that can cause an increase of Mg in the blood stream though so

don't panic.

Here's the list:

Excessive intake (of Mg)

Lithium therapy

Hypothyroidism (my guess likely not picked up...accurate testing is difficult):
http://drrodgermurphree.com/2012/01/blood-tests-for-thyroid-are-often-inaccurate/ 2012 info.

Addison disease

Familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia

Milk alkali syndrome

Depression

untreated diabetic acidosis

severe dehydration

adrenocortical insufficiency - Addision's disease

leukemia

Excessive antacid ingestion

Excessive laxative ingestion

Liver failure

Calcifediol: The major circulating metabolite of vitamin D3

Calderol a trademark for a transport form of vitamin D (calcifediol)

hyperparathyroidism

Haemolysis (rupturing of erythrocytes (red blood cells), magnesium concentration in erythrocytes is approximately three times greater than in serum, therefore hemolysis can increase plasma magnesium. Hypermagnesemia is expected only in massive hemolysis.

Excess magnesium also causes vasodilation by direct effects on the blood vessels and by ganglionic blockade.

Your body regulates magnesium levels by shifting magnesium into and out of cells.

When there is a breakdown or destruction of cells,

the electrolyte magnesium moves from inside the cell, to outside of the cell wall. This shift of magnesium outside of the cells causes hypermagnesemia.

The body typically absorbs only 20-50% of ingested magnesium.

ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the main source of energy in cells, must be bound to a magnesium ion in order to be biologically active. What is called ATP is often actually Mg-ATP.

Besides the kidneys, we also normally lose Mg via the GI tract.

In addition, it generally follows that foods with diuretic properties, such as coffee, tea and alcohol, tend to reduce available magnesium in the bloodstream, due to the action of these foods to increase the excretion of fluids by the kidneys.

Where you live and your water supply:

Drinking water can significantly contribute to your magnesium intake, with 9 to 29% of your daily intake coming from *hard water.*

***Part of Texas has the highest levels of magnesium in drinking water,*** and also the lowest cardiovascular mortality rates in the US.

Australia has some of the lowest drinking water magnesium levels, and also the highest cardiovascular death rate in the world.

In animals it has been shown that different cell types maintain different concentrations of magnesium. This suggests that different cell types may regulate influx and efflux of magnesium in different ways based on their unique metabolic needs.

Treatment for hypermagnesemia = Calcium - This medication is given usually intravenously, to lower the blood magnesium level, if you have *severely high* blood magnesium levels.

"The only thing that could potentially be 'blocking' magnesium absorption is a lack of fat in your diet.

If you don't think that you are 'absorbing' magnesium well, then think about your fat intake-or lack of it as being a factor..."

(This website would not allow me to link the above...
h t m l reason.)

??? Oh, well...

Here is a link to a hypermagnesemia diet

(the author is Rachel Wyman has written articles and created education materials for numerous health care institutions, community organizations, and patient populations. She is a Registered Dietitian, with a Bachelors degree in food and nutrition from the College of Saint Elizabeth. Wyman completed her internship at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/221369-hypermagnesemia-diet/

Re: Mg and biofilms...IMO...nope. I don't believe Bb(s) use Mg to help build their biofilm.

"How do biofilms form? The formation of a biofilm requires coordinated chemical signaling between cells.

Unless an adequate number of neighboring cells are present, the costs of biofilm production to an individual bacterium outweigh the benefits.

Thus, a signaling process benefits the bacteria by allowing them to sense the presence of neighboring bacteria and respond to varying conditions.

The process by which a bacterium does this is called quorum sensing."

(Once again this website would not allow me to post the linkh t m l reason given.)

If you need to attribute biofilm to a mineral...

It is Fe2+ which Bb's LuxS gene uses for quorum sensing. Documented (linked) on this website a few days ago.

Or...2012...you could contribute biofilms to NO...nitric oxide:

http://www.cell.com/molecular-cell/abstract/S1097-2765

parenthesis 12 parenthesis 00260-2

Title is this: Nitric Oxide Modulates Bacterial Biofilm Formation through a Multicomponent Cyclic-di-GMP Signaling Network

Which absolutley also looks to "fit" (as in a puzzle piece)!

P.S. researching hypermagnesemia was sorta challenging because the incidence of hypomagnesemia is waaaay greater.

Posts: 9402 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dr. F. has also found that Lyme disease patients - more often than not - have an overabundance of magnesium."

Hmmm.
This goes against almost everything I've read.

Posts: 6932 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Marnie. I was thinking that we don't want to bust every biofilm & which biofilms relate to the human biome? I think we need some of them. They aren't all bad.
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Was that level determined with INTRACELLAR testing? If not, the levels may not be indicative of what's being absorbed.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie,

A thought provoking post.

Don't know what level is considered to be hypermagnesia. If you just mean high blood magnesium then I think that has always been normal for hubby. But when MetaMetrix tested red blood cell magnesium that was almost always high.

But hubby felt better taking magnesium and even got magnesium IV's from time to time. His ACAM doc at the time said that leaky cell membranes (one cause of that is lack of enough good fats) could cause the magnesium to test as high. Basically it was being wasted and not absorbed or not available for the body to use.

Back when these tests were done (multiple times in 2002 -- 2003) hubby did not have obvious hemolysis as he does now. But he did have many tests showing low levels of fatty acids including the bad ones such as arachidonic acid. He actually received several IV's of good fats when his cholesterol went low.

From my reading I have always felt that if a mineral was involved in biofilms it was more likely to be calcium than magnesium. Many people are also deficient in calcium and the body pulls that from the bones and then has to put it somewhere.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Keebler said.

Normal Blood Serum levels of T3 and TSH don't necessarily mean the thyroid isn't underactive.

If it doesn't reach the cells it gets removed from the body via hair, skin, stool, urine, etc.

Or the buggers get it [Smile]
Magnesium always makes me feel better and is great for heart health in chronic Lyme/Bart.

Magnesium Oil can help pull me out of a CNS herx (tremors, insomnia, jittery)

I spray on spine, back of legs, feet, and inside elbows.

[ 06-30-2012, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: canefan17 ]

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for sharing this research.

So many posters here take Mg supplements, and often they are certainly needed and can provide great benefits...BUT...too much Mg supplementation is also not good, leads to hypocalcemia, something that seems to have been falling on deaf ears.

People here posting about symptoms of hypocalcemia are being told by well-meaning posters to take more Mg!

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also need to be aware of Vitamin K status. Vitamin K makes Calcium go into the bones (perhaps instead of letting it get into biofilm???). So many here focus on Vitamin D supplementation, which aids with Calcium absorption from the gut, but not so much with getting Calcium to go into the bones.

Vitamin K deficiency can be caused by antibiotics, because gut flora make a lot of the Vitamin K that the body uses (Vitamin K2), and the antibiotics kill off a lot of the flora.

So not only do we need to supplement with probiotics, we also may need to supplement with Vitamin K (1 and 2? Not sure...I've read that K2 is the 'active' form of K1, but then also have read K2 is synthetic, but really I should do more research about this...).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4163 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I don't take Mg several times a day, terrible cramps will keep me up most of the night. And sometimes bother me in the day too.

So, on the word of one doctor, I am not willing to stop using Mg. Especially not knowing if I even have this Fry bug.

Plus, if disease processes alter the Mg status and testing is not reliable, then I don't think we have enough information to do anything about changing our Mg habits, especially if it relieves symptoms.

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The body is gonna get what it needs someway...like pulling Ca and or Mg (stored) out of bones.

Keebler, you are correct...about being absorbed.

Bb does indeed have a Mg-transporter gene/protein.

Mg...in or out?

Bone health needs more than Ca and Mg...it needs boron PLUS...vitamin D, P, and zinc (total is 5).

Boron is just another of the many nutrients Bb depletes.

Shoot...I was gonna post the boron links a few days ago..now it is buried somewhere in my MS files.

[ 07-03-2012, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9402 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement