LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is removing gallbladder the answer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is removing gallbladder the answer?
tickled1
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering if anyone here felt remarkably better after having gallbladder removed? I'm in pain daily and have pain after eating just about anything under my rt. bottom rib radiating to my back.

I also have other digestive problems including indigestion, gas, bloating, nausea and elevated bilirubin and eyes turning slightly yellow.

I had ultrasound several months ago that didn't show anything and am going for another one tomorrow. I've read that it can be the gallbladder even when it doesn't show on ultrasound. Hida scan may be next step if nothing shows this time.

Everything points to gallbladder. It would be a a huge relief if I could have the thing out and feel oodles better. It would be great if something could be that simple for me. Although I'm terrified of having surgery of course.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libra72
Member # 38453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Libra72     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure if this related. My sister had Lyme long ago..maybe 10yrs ago. To this day she has arthritis from it. She is constantly in pain, also in her stomach when eating or was in pain.

She had taken so many pain meds that she developed two ulcers that could only be fixed by removing half of her stomach. Her gallbladder was taken as well.

Her pain was exactly the same as you are describing.

Have you had any recent endoscopies done?

Posts: 53 | From PA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been having gallbladder pain off and on since I hit 40, but even more so after starting abx for lyme. I cut back on fats/oils etc., and supplements and it has helped.

My daughter had her gallbladder removed years ago. Looking back, I think it was due to lyme.

She felt a little bit better after getting it removed, however she still has phantom attacks (less of them with time though).

Is there a way they can just remove the gallstones without taking out the gallbladder (might be a better option). I know there is something they do with kidney stones--maybe they can do the same thing here?

Libra, I recently watched a video where the person said that people who have arthritis have a gluten intolerance and to stop eating it (body will attack itself).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the HIDA scan next. Mine showed 70%+ functioning which is considered normal. However, my pain and vomiting attacks were so bad that they had to remove it in an emergency surgery. I didn't have stones, just sludge.

I kept having pain/vomiting after the surgery. For another year and a half, I had scans and tests. I had two ERCP's (the first one failed miserably) and on the last one, they determined I had sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. (With my attacks, I also had elevated liver enzymes). They fixed that, and I still have problems. So, I am just going to hit Lyme treatment hard because that is probably the root of the problem.

BUT, I have had many Lyme buddies get their gallbladders out and feel better. I think I just have biliary tract problems. The moral of this story is to get many different opinions, and if you are at your wits end, go ahead and take it out and see if it improves things. Worth a shot!

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Life+Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 33568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Life+Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and in terms of having the surgery, it probably isn't near as bad as the day to day pain you alrealy going through! For me, the surgery was better than the symptoms I had been having.

--------------------
You name it, I've got it.
Full-time medical anomaly.

Posts: 432 | From Southeast | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There are so many other ways to address this besides cutting into the body, unless it's absolutely necessary.

A consult with an ILADS educated LL ND (naturopathic doctor) or LAc (acupuncturist) may save you from potentially dangerous surgery.

The anesthesia can harm the liver so if surgery is in the future, it's good to consult a LL ND beforehand for how to protect the liver - and how to prevent scar tissue from surgery.

A LL ND should also be able to guide you to the best kind of medical evaluations, too.

Of course a scan or other diagnostics are in order, still, a good LL ND can help you navigate all that and if you might need surgery, they can help you in many ways there, too.

---------------------------

This has helped me keep my gallbladder - and helped to curtail what may have been a kidney problem.

Lots of great research on this but it requires cross searching with the various names. Go to PubMed, seek out the professional herbalist sites and ask a LL ND whether this might be right for you, at this point in time:

CHANCA PIEDRA - Phyllanthus niruri (Stonebreaker)

---------------------------------

The liver is also directly tied to gallbladder function.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER SUPPORT LINKS;

HOW TO FIND A LL ND, etc. with HERBAL EDUCATION & SAFETY LINKS in that thread

Note: not all herbs are safe with an irritated gallbladder. For instance, curcumin is contraindicated but the less strong turmeric may be tolerated and helpful in low dose. This is where a LL ND or other similarly trained professional can help.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
CELIAC / GLUTEN could be causing these symptoms.

www.celiac.com & www.celiacsolutions.com

HIDDEN SOURCES OF GLUTEN (each link has detail the others may not):

http://www.glutenfreehelp.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/TS-Hidden-Sources-of-Gluten1.pdf

http://www.celiacsolution.com/hidden-gluten.html

http://www.tacanow.org/family-resources/hidden-sources-of-gluten/

http://blog.primohealthcoach.com/blog/bid/74158/Hidden-Sources-Of-Gluten

http://www.practicalgastro.com/pdf/September08/HlywiakArticle.pdf

7-page pdf

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/gluten-issues-or-celiac-dont-drink-coffee/

Gluten Issues or Celiac? Dont Drink Coffee!

======================================

DAIRY could also be responsible (at least in part):

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/07/got-milk-you-dont-need-it/?hp

Got Milk? You Dont Need It

By MARK BITTMAN - The New York Times, July 7, 2012

and follow-up to that:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/24/more-on-milk/?ref=opinion?hp

July 24, 2012

More on Milk

By MARK BITTMAN The New York Times

Sidebar: When a lifetime of suffering, medical visits and prescription drugs can be resolved with a not especially challenging dietary change, a certain amount of retroactive frustration seems justifiable.

Not surprisingly, experiences like mine with dairy, outlined in my column of two weeks ago, are more common than unusual, at least according to the roughly 1,300 comments and e-mails we received since then.

In them, people outlined their experiences with dairy and health problems as varied as heartburn, migraines, irritable bowel syndrome, colitis, eczema, acne, hives, asthma (When I gave up dairy, my asthma went away completely),

- full articles at link above.

=================================

ADDITIVES can also cause a vast array of digestive woes:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=029690;p=0

Excitotoxins; MSG; Aspartame; & "Natural" Flavors
-

[ 08-07-2012, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Visceral Manipulation (as with a practitioner trained in Upledger approach); Myofascial massage; certain kinds of exercises or stretches may be helpful.

If surgery is the only option, myofascial massage afterwards may somewhat help prevent scar tissue.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Life+Lyme:
Oh, and in terms of having the surgery, it probably isn't near as bad as the day to day pain you alrealy going through! For me, the surgery was better than the symptoms I had been having.

-
TRUE for me!

Yes, get the HIDA scan!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94381 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I felt better after the gallbladder surgery. 16 years of near-constant nausea ended the second the gallbladder was out.

I had only had 1 pain attack...triggered by medication.

But I had huge stones show up on the ultrasound, and the surgeon told me my gallbladder was very inflamed. I did not know I had Lyme at the time.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4162 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fought getting my gallbladder out. I had all kinds of advice on doing flushes and cleanses for me to save it.

In the end, I also spoke to many who ended up in the ER trying to do those things to save that organ. The HIDA scan is just one tool to tell you what is going on. I didn't do the ultrasound, I just got it out.

I had been in pain and was just tired of it. As it turned out, I was full of stones and some were stuck in my bile duct. If I had done those cleanses or flushes, it would have been a disaster.

I had to have a second procedure the next day to get the stones out of the bile ducts.

Recovery from laparoscopic surgery is quick, but I did not rebound from all that anesthesia. I finally went to my naturepath and had them do a vitamin bag, glutathione push and myers cocktail all in one day.

It at least got me out of bed.

You have to just get the tests and make a decision. I am glad I did it, but making the decision took me a long time to make. It was the right call.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2679 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks so much for all your replies! I am to the point where I just want it out and don't really care to try and save it.

I have been suffering with these symptoms for way too long-years. It has gotten progressively worse if and having it out could make it better that would be such a huge relief.

I am concerned more about recovering from anesthesia and possible complications of the surgery itself. I don't detox easily. I have several disorders that make it difficult for me to detox so that is my biggest fear. I'm also concerned about my dysautonomia and such. I've never had surgery before and am scared!

My Dr. wants me to do flushes and I told him my concern of them causing more problems if stones became lodged and he didn't have much to say. My instincts told me not to do them and I haven't.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Had the ultrasound this morning. Although the tech wasn't supposed to tell me anything she did tell me she didn't see stones.

However, when she was over my gallbladder she said this is where your gallbladder is and I said that is exactly where I have pain.

She said just b/c ultrasound doesn't show anything doesn't mean something isn't wrong. Guess we'll have to proceed to next step, whatever that may be, when I get report from doctor.

So is that true that abx don't get to gallbladder and I could have a pocket of infection there that abx aren't able to get to?

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119346;p=0

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcarry:
I had my gb out 7 years ago because it was diseased, although in the event, there were some stones too.

The surgery was straightforward, but I can't say that my GI symptoms made an improvement afterwards.

I feel I should warn people too that some people develop problems with bile salts diarrhea afterwards, as the bile no longer has the 'tap' of the gb to release it when needed, so it just drips continually from the liver. It can also reflux, causing gastritis and other problems.

This has started to happen to me and I have noticed that some get this immediately after the op and others, like me, several years down the line.

Sorry to sound negative, but it is better to be aware of this possibility: if you do a search for bile reflux or bile salts malabsorption/ bile salts diarrhea, you will see that this does happen to quite a few people after the gb op. Some will just be palmed off with an IBS diagnosis.

If your gb was diseased, it should have shown up on the ultrasound if the equipment was good enough...whereas if there are stones, which are not always visible on the ultrasound, I can second Keebler's recommendation of the herb chanca piedra, which is supposed to help with all stone formation in the body.

Chanca piedra can be taken as capsules and also makes a nice tea.

Posts: 1644 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tickled1:

She said just b/c ultrasound doesn't show anything doesn't mean something isn't wrong. Guess we'll have to proceed to next step, whatever that may be, when I get report from doctor.

Mine was badly inflamed and severely covered in scar tissue and the ultrasound didn't pick up on any of that. My ultrasound was normal. But my surgeon said he spent 25 minutes just burning away scar tissue that covered it before he could even see it to get it out! [Eek!]

HIDA scan is the way to go. Never trust a "normal" ultrasound.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Guess I'll ask for HIDA scan next if he doesn't recommend it himself.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

© 1993-2020 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to the Terms and Conditions.