LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » bacne, back acne, cysts, subcutaneous nodules...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bacne, back acne, cysts, subcutaneous nodules...
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xoxoxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes to treating my symptoms, rarely does anything I try have a 100% success rate so when something does, it makes me want to tell everyone � just in case someone has the same problem. There has been this painful & embarrassing cystic acne on my back that I suffered through for a couple of years (whatever you want to call them - �bacne�, back acne, subcutaneous nodules).

I desperately searched for something, ANYTHING that would make it go away. Some of what I�d read speculates that it�s a release of toxins, or possibly spirochetes themselves. People can get it on their abdomen, in the groin area, arms, chest. Whatever was causing it started at the onset of my infection and was underneath my armpits (ouch!).

My dermatologist prescribed a couple of different things. The first I can�t recall the name but the co-pay was like $50. The second was benzoyl peroxide. In both cases, bedding & clothes frequently bleached despite waiting for the creams to dry on my skin. Maybe I didn�t give them a long enough chance to work but both seemed pretty impractical.

I finally stumbled on this website which had some great recommendations. But the part about treating with benzoyl peroxide needed a substitution.

http://www.acne.org/back-acne-start.html

Eventually, another recommendation from a different website suggested washing the back area with a Glycolic Acid 10%/Salicylic Acid 2% cleanser. Oddly, this happened to be the same face wash I have used for years. So, I combined the soap recommendation with the suggestion from the acne.org about using a alpha-hydroxy acid 10% (AHA) cream after. They said the best off-the-shelf product for this was the AlphaHydrox. It�s available just about anywhere (Drug stores, Target, Ulta, etc). Best of all � no bleaching from either product! The soap is just something I get from Amazon. It also happens to be a great face cleanser too.

-First: Wash with Glycolic Acid 10%/Salicylic Acid 2% cleanser
-Second: Apply AlphaHydrox Enhanced Lotion 10% Glycolic AHA
After a week, I noticed that no new cysts had cropped up and the existing ones became less painful.

After two weeks, the existing cysts started disappearing.
After a year, I can honestly say that this remedy 100% completely prevents the cysts on my back. However, they may start to expel in other places. For me, it moved up to in & behind the ears but very minimally so now I do the same thing there.

A few things to note:
1) Diligence is key � if I forget to use the AlphaHydrox for more than four or five days, one or two cysts sometimes crop up. Once they do, it�s takes a good couple of weeks to clear them up.
2) Because it still takes 2-4 weeks to clear up any cysts, I don�t know if the combo protocol actually contributes to the reduction of the existing ones or only prevents new ones but heck, after two years, what�s a couple of weeks?
3) If your skin is super sensitive, this may be too harsh for you. Perhaps soap/cream with lower percentage of the acids could be tolerated?

If you too are plagued by body cysts/acne, I hope you find the same success with this!

--------------------
----------
Danni

Posts: 311 | From Glen Mills, PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhillyLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhillyLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bough Salicylic Acid 2% cleanser. Could not get one with Glycolic Acid combined. I also got oxy pads which worked great back in high school :-).

It is basically Salicylic Acid. I plan to keep it in my desk so I can apply it 3 times a days...

I also got the alpha hydrox cream. Want this acne GONE. Thanks for posting this...

Posts: 324 | From Philly | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been getting folliculitis on my neck and around my ears.
Inflamed and infected hair follicles, which are related to autoimmune issues.

I use the SOTA LightWorks to heal them with LED light therapy.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2young2dieMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2young2dieMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xoxxox, can you give the specific names of the products you use and where you buy them? I've had an increase in acne over the past year and its really starting to scar my face. thanks.

--------------------
Dxd ALS 3/2010
Dxd cllinical Lyme 4/2010
Positive for Protomyxzoa but absolutely nothing else in Igenex

Posts: 417 | From central ct | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treating parasites and yeast got rid of my nodules and cysts. Whatever appears outside of the body is what's going on inside. Treating topically can calm things down on the surface, but doesn't address the systemic cause of the infection.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xoxoxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the 10% Glycolic acid/ 2% Salicylic acid cleanser I use.

Amazon - Gly-Sal cleanser

It's a little pricey but I use a dab less than the size of a dime for my face & back and the bottle probably lasts me six months. Amazon has the best price that I have found. I put it on one of those teardrop shaped scrubbies. Walmart sells those.

This is the Alpha Hydrox lotion I use (remember the red box):

Alpha Hydrox AHA Enhanced Lotion (10% Glycolic)

Typically, I buy it at Ulta so I can use their coupon but if you don't have an Ulta, it's also at most major drug stores, Target, Walmart, etc. or it can just be ordered from Amazon with the soap. One thing to note is that Alpha Hydrox has A LOT of products so make sure that you are getting the "original" one with 10% glycolic acid.

PhillyLyme & 2young2dieMom, let us know how it works out for you.

Carol, I had read that light therapy was also very helpful but it was a bit out of my price range. Sounds like you have had good success with it though?

Gael, yes, agreed - of course, the infection (which causes the "acne") does need to be treated but getting control of a symptom is also important. Like finding ways to achieve a good night's sleep or reduce sore muscle pain, etc.

Good luck everyone!

--------------------
----------
Danni

Posts: 311 | From Glen Mills, PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffee71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffee71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danni thank you so much for this post.
I was about to ask you for the brand names of products you are/were using.
I can see this working (have had horrid acne breake out one my back since april and my dermatologist gave me epiduo cream $50 copayment not helping)

Thanks

Posts: 191 | From va | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2young2dieMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2young2dieMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, thanks, xoxoxox. I'll give the products a try. At 52, wrinkles with acne are really ridiculous.

--------------------
Dxd ALS 3/2010
Dxd cllinical Lyme 4/2010
Positive for Protomyxzoa but absolutely nothing else in Igenex

Posts: 417 | From central ct | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhillyLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhillyLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 day report - I have applied the treatment above 6 times now. I started Monday night and am about to do it again tonight. I can say that some of my bumps are now flat and others are much smaller.

There have not been any new ones either and the pain is almost gone.

I still have discoloration from the rash but I hope that as the skins starts to peal off the new skin will be back to normal...

thanks xoxoxox for the heads up

Posts: 324 | From Philly | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement