LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Benefits of rest......is it beneficial? What are the health risks of pushing through?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Benefits of rest......is it beneficial? What are the health risks of pushing through?
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure how to ask this question

This summer has been one of exhaustion for me, but I have to push through it, I have no choice but to take care of my kids.

I just want to know if pushing through the absolute exhaustion is just hellish and uncomfortable, or does it have detrimental effects on LD/coinfection treatment?

I think I pushed through the first part of the summer well.....but have had a hard time recovering or even getting through things over the past 3 or 4 weeks or so.

I pushed way to far yesterday because a friend and her kids were visiting...I felt that floating disconnected feeling plus nausea dizziness its like my body couldn't handle any more.

So I just want to know if there are long term effects of pushing through those times when you are inches from passing out....or if it just stinks and you live through it.

Does that make sense?

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, pushing too much can damage the adrenal glands, the heart and the nerve fibers. The adrenals, especially, can reach the point of no return.
Likely you are not to that point but adrenal exhaustion can be fatal, so there is that to consider. Yes, pushing too much can be dangerous, indeed.

You wouldn't play tennis on a broken ankle, would you?

If your body is telling you certain activities, a certain level or pace of activities are too much, it's imperative to make some changes, however hard that may be to arrange. It's extremely important.

Even with the best adrenal support, when our bodies demand a slower pace, we have to do what we can to make that work. REST is key to recovery as much as Rx and support supplements and nutrition.

Is there a way you might get some volunteer help? Friends, family?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

CARDIAC Explanations & ENERGY SUPPORT, helping the Mitochonidria and myelin sheath.

But nothing can take the place of proper rest allowed at the times the body needs it. I call it "aggressive rest" because we seem to fight so aggressively against it that it is like pulling teeth to allow that for ourselves.

It's to not just "allowed" but it is absolutely required. Healing cannot happen if there is that energy deficit. Just can't happen.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been pushing through for quite some time now. Is it what is best? Nope!! But it is what it is.

In a perfect world, this wouldn't be the case but this isn't a perfect world and sometimes there really is no other option.

I am getting better and I will say I'm at 70% most days. Some days better and others worse. Despite my hectic lifestyle I am still getting better. I think it would be quicker though if I actually rested as I am supposed to.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr B says in his guidelines that the main two causes of treatment failure are 1. smoking 2. lack of adequate rest...

lack of rest may be #1 .. not sure.

Guidelines here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/109735

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95978 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, life doesn't stop for us while we treat our Lyme. We all do the things we have to do.

However, many on this board have expressed that pushing through their symptoms for many years made their situations much worse. Like autoimmune issues cropping up. Some finally had to cease nearly all activity except recovery.

I had a period of complete remission before I was even diagnosed. It was the summer after grad school. I wasn't working yet, so I had lots of time to lie around. I was symptom-free in like 6 weeks.

It all went to he!! once life kicked in again.

Do what you have to, but please find a way to take adequate down time. I really think you prolong, even endanger, your recovery by overdoing it.

Also, never feel guilty. Most of us feel guilty for being sick in the first place. Don't beat yourself up for not behaving "perfectly" during your treatment.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you - I now have long awaited alone time in the day

(back to school) and this week I was heavily pressured to commit it to volunteer (which I will later this year, extra 20 minutes at drop off only, tho)

but the mother guilt weighed on me- yet this is my time of true rest during the day (and I have terrible insomnia)
I said no. Thought about excuses I would make if pressured again.

It has been a continual process for me to accept my limitations---

Hang in there--

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you

Philly...I hear what you are saying, but lately I feel like I absolutely CANNOT handle anything. Any request from the kids sends me over the edge. NOT LIKE ME at all.

What do you do when you HAVE to push forward and you feel like you can't. I feel like its an impossible situation.

I almost wish I could pass out...then somebody would have to take over.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] pme and surprise [group hug]

and all mothers!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95978 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Also...and I know I am noone special but I feel like I need help now

I seriously feel like I am going to lose it big time if one more person makes even one more request of me. I am going to crack. I want to bury myself away right now but it doesn't stop.

I am going to the spa for the day tomorrow just to get away, but my dd has food allergies and will be going to a bday party and sleeping over so I need to make her food, cupcakes to bring to the party etc. and I just can't take it right now.

And a day will do nothing for me, but at least its a little rest.

I wish I could make someone understand what this feels like. I don't really know what to do, and I cannot lose it in front of my kids. They didn't sign up for this.

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PME--

Put their favorite movie on, lay on the couch.

Buy her Udi's or whole foods premade cupcakes, keep in freezer, taking only 1 out when she has an event.

Sending good thoughts----

Take care of yourself!

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

pme .. Do you think you need an anti-depressant? Sure could help.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

No whole foods super close........I only go there monthly but I have never found egg free gluten free dairy free nut free premade cupcakes, but the mixes help

Lymetoo.....I tried antidepressants...I really didn't think they helped at all

I just need to rest and I am incredibly frustrated that no matter how I ask I am not getting the support I need.

Right now it is more anxiety than depression...

Maybe it is the cryptolepsis I don't know. I just feel like this is an impossible situation because I look strong and healthy.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

Just lots of stress in addition to my LD and my daughter's.

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Just a suggestion. Being depressed causes anxiety. (a no brainer, I guess!)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

I know what you are saying.

I guess that my gut is that I am not really depressed per se

I am overwhelmed. I do need more support. I am doing too much. I can't figure my way around this.

Before I was officially diagnosed I took cymbalta for about 8 months, did nothing for me. Then I gave up gluten and went off cymbalta. It was the gluten that made me improve immensely.

I KNEW summer would be killer.

I was very happy that I survived to Late July before I felt as awful as I feel now

But I am wondering if the treatment can make headway even if I am wiped out from too much.

I very very much appreciate your input and everyone's

I just need somebody in my house or immediate environment to understand instead of expecting things from me that are impossible.

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pme,
I understand what you are saying. My husband has been where you are - overwhelmed with too much.

Do your best to take it easy- and no, he wasn't depressed either! He did have anxiety and adrenal fatigue. It got to the point he was spending 90% of his time in bed.

So if you need to cut corners or just not do some things - so be it! It won't always be this way. You will heal faster if you take care of yourself.

He is doing much better - in treatment for 1 year - is up and around most of the day. Still rests part of the afternoon and on some days a morning and / or evening nap also.

This too shall pass.

Posts: 2017 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pme - if it helps, i just wanted to let you know that I totally get what you're going through. i have two little kids and it has been a hard summer for me as well. i know i'm not getting the rest i need--

hubby has been out of town for the past month for work, my son has gotten two, yes that's two, concussions this summer, and my daughter has food allergies as well so it's not like i can just drop her off at a friend's for dinner while i take my son to the er.

i know i have totally pushed it too and while the summer ending is bittersweet, i'm looking forward to rest time. one thing i try to do is to lie down at least 2x during the day. i actually put REST on my daily to-do list and seeing it there makes me more likely to do it. sometimes it is just for 10 minutes, sometimes it's for an hour and a half if my kids are cooperating. it really helps.

re: the cupcakes, around here there are a few allergen-free bakeries. do you have any near you? i periodically order a batch and then freeze them for her to take to b-day parties. or make a batch from the cherrybrook kitchen mix and freeze them. or, it doesn't always have to be a cupcake - is there some kind of safe candy/pre-made cookie she likes that she can take with her?

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry pme. I really am!! I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

I've gotten to the point where I feel like I'm gonna snap on numerous occasions and I even have at times. I've flipped on my hubby too. You said...

I just need to rest and I am incredibly frustrated that no matter how I ask I am not getting the support I need.

Here, here! I feel the same way and I've made it known to my family. They still don't get it. I've finally come to accept that they never will quite get it.

My anxiety was out of control. I mean really really out of control a while back and certain meds made it worse. For me, upping the detox and going to counseling helped. I also make "me time" more than I used to. At least once/week.

I go for acupuncture and massage and I just started lymphatic drainage therapy. I really thinks it helps.

My last acupuncture session I went in there feeling like one big giant ball of inflammation and anxiety. I left feeling calmer and in a much better place.

I put up a calendar and chore lists for everyone around the house. The visualization helped my hubby to understand a little better just how much I was doing even while being sick.

I would tell him things I wanted him to do but he never really did them and thought I was just delegating everything to him. Then I made lists and my list was 3 times longer than his!

It helped him to see just how much I had on my plate.

I've also learned how to set boundaries with others and to say no. And I don't feel bad or guilty at all. Saying no to my son is hard but the way I see it, it is a lesson in learning how to deal with disappointment. Many adults don't even do well with that!

I still have to push through things. I work full time and have a 12 year old in treatment and a 4 month old baby to care for.

I have had to learn what is really important and what isn't.

My house isn't as clean as I would like. I'm not cooking dinner every night like I used to. We haven't done as many activities as I would have liked or went on as many day trips or vacations either.

Lyme and cos can most definitely cause anxiety but for me...I was contributing to mine as well. I really had to learn to change my way of thinking. I did this through ACT...acceptance and commitment therapy.

There is a wonderful book called The Happiness Trap if you're interested in reading it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Happiness-Trap-Struggling-Living/dp/1590305841

There is also a companion website.
http://www.thehappinesstrap.com/

Take care pme.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PME, I'm not sure if you'll see this, since this thread is a little old, but I want you to know that I completely understand what you are saying.

As I ramp up my treatment, I am so anxious and full of dread, even though I think I should be excited to have the opportunity to get better.

I'm burnt out from pushing through the summer, and the last few weeks were awful. I flipped out on my kids so many times. [Frown]

I hope that once preschool starts back up, I'll be able to get a lot out of that 2 1/2 hours to myself - rest, hot bath, exercise, whatever I'm up for. My hope is that will be enough, and we won't need to hire a part-time nanny. [Frown]

Wishing you all the best - yay for school!

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5520

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldnt it be nice to go to a rehab like every exhausted movie star- what are they so tired for

We need a retreat [Smile]

--------------------
Good friends are like stars... You don't always see them, but you know they are always there!!!

Posts: 362 | From west chester, pa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give me Canyon Ranch @ Tucson any day. will head there once I get some major mullah in to spend and still have oddles leftover!!! GGGRraeat place, not snooty, all inclusive, great food and saunas, etc.!!!!!!
Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a hard time reconciling the exercise and rest requirement.

When you are tired and feel bad are you supposed to push through and exercise? if so how is this different from housework? A lot of house work seems like anaerobic exercise to me.

Posts: 802 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, try not to push it. I did and kept relapsing. Had to go to work, though. I cried going to work, and cried going home. Took lots of 1/2 days just to get through.

What helped was getting more aggressive treatment. My LLMD pounded babesia down, and I now have more energy. I can bike now, walk, etc.
I'm still fighting Lyme though. About 90% functioning now.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement