LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Prepping for a colonoscopy tomorrow!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Prepping for a colonoscopy tomorrow!
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talktel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I'm nervous as heck.

I'm on a liquid diet today and am to start the prep for "eliminating" at 5:pm. I nervous how my already weak body will even handle the prep!

liquid diet today and no drink for 8 hr before and the colocscopy is scheduled for noon tomorrow!

How will I handle the runs from that and survive? What happens if he find ulcerative colitis?

I'm back on bicillin, but its not enough.

--------------------
RI

Posts: 440 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there and think about the benefits of having it done. If he does find something, then you know what you are dealing with and can treat it.

You will need a few days or maybe more to recover but once you are home be sure to hydrate and rest well.

Best of luck...

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talktel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks!

does it take a few days to recover?
OMG!

--------------------
RI

Posts: 440 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertwind
Member # 25256

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertwind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for me it did - I had one done when I was pretty sick with lyme. I felt really dehydrated and exhausted from the twilight sleep they induced. I am a med light weight and it took a few days to not feel like a zombie!

The "normal" person is up and about the same day from what I was told.

I am due for my endoscopy soon and dreading it!

Posts: 1671 | From Tick Infested New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Its wierd because I more nervous about the prep than the colonoscopy itself?

I have to take an IM shot-and I usually do it today, but I think I'll push it off for tomorrow evening.

--------------------
RI

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually...i think you should be more worried about the prep...that is always worse for me and i have a hard time with the procedure...at least that s what the notes say. i dont remember.

my biggest problem is the ibs sx after. i always take my meds for ib and tell nurses ahead of time to give it to me as soon as i wake up to prevent bad cramping....most ppl dont have this problem. im just mentioning it if ibs is a problem of yours

during the prep i baby myself...get good movie or book or anything that will keep my mind off it...anything i can do close to the toilet that is

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Talktel:
Its wierd because I more nervous about the prep than the colonoscopy itself?

-
that is the worst part! the colonoscopy is EASY !!!

be sure to replace electrolytes!!!!!

Ask hubby or a friend to get you some Electromix by EmerGenC .. (sp) .. health food store

There's NO sugar in it. I know diet stuff is bad, but I chose to eat diet jello instead of the sugary kind.

-
PS .. I usually feel BETTER with an empty gut!!! I recovered quite quickly but I was not in the middle of Lyme treatment when I did it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96229 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Actually, I've been drinking Powerade all day for the electrolytes, and the sugary stuff is definitely clouding my mind.

I'm also eating chicken broth, and without solid food in my system, I'm going pretty often.

nd I din't even have the prep called Movieprep yet. The "fun" really starts at 5 this afternoon and then again at 9 this evening.

I'm concerned about passing out, or being very weak, and not making it to the toilet on time.

I don't have a master bathroon, so its down the hall.

Do the runs stop after a while or will it go on all night?

I usually taking sleeping meds, what do I do with that?

--------------------
RI

Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The prep wasn't as horrible as I imagined. It's like diarrhea when you've ate something really spicy BUT you don't get the burning irritation that can happen in the sensitive area.

Make sure you have soft toilet paper.

I've actually had way worse diarrhea from antibiotics than from the prep.

You will be going for a few hours, then the liquid will look very clean and clear.

You can get some sleep after the "urge" dies down, but I would be cautious about taking the sleeping pills. You want to be able to make it to the bathroom in time if you need to.

I felt really "cleaned out" after the prep(any toxins lingering in my colon were flushed out).

Yes, the runs go for awhile, but they do stop.

I would plan NOT to sleep much tonight.

I camped out in front of the TV and ran to the bathroom when I needed to. I think I got about 3 hours of sleep.

My friend actually just camped out in the bathroom with a book for a few hours, that's how she did it.

Plan on sleeping a lot after the colonoscopy and taking lots of probiotics.

The drugs they give you for the colonoscopy make you really relaxed and feel like you don't care. It was actually nice not to feel worried for awhile.

Take a hot bath when you get home if you're up for it.

It only took a day to recover and I'm in the middle of Lyme treatment.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

I started alredy, and my hemmoeroids are starting to hurt.

So no sleeping pills. I am so utterly weak.

Will my stomach be ok after the colonscopy to take the bicillin shot tomorrow?

Thank you guys so much for being there for me because I feel so completely nervous about this.

--------------------
RI

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was usually able to sleep most of the night. Hope you can!!

Take your sleeping pill early???? or can you??

I think your stomach will be OK tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96229 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, your stomach will be fine after the colonoscopy, but since you've been fasting, you want to take it easy.

I wouldn't eat anything too hard on the stomach, but make sure to eat something you like. You deserve it after all this.

We actually went to a comfortable restaurant after the colonoscopy (no one felt like cooking or doing much after it). I ordered something light that I liked.

Yes, I felt horribly weak too.

I'm sorry, I don't know much about shots, but I was okay taking antibiotics the next day. I took mine right after the colonosopy.

The prep doesn't stay in the body and they drugs they give you for the colonoscopy leave the body quickly.

You will feel out of it. I remember being giving an exit sheet that said not to sign any important documents for 24 hours afterwards or drive.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Talktel,

Someone from another lyme discussion board who is not registered here but sometimes reads posts saw your post and asked that I post this for you.

I agree. EPI (epinephrine) can be very rough on those with lyme. I know that from my mistakes at the dentist.

Copying for you (all below from others' voices):
------------------------------------------------

can you post for this person to request they do NOT USE "EPINEPHRINE" when they put her under?

WARNING on epinephrine used in doing colonoscopies and on dental procedures for LYME/CO-INFECTIONS PATIENTS.

my below friend, MIGUEL who has the KAISER PAPER WEBSITE, sent this info to me when he learned i was have my 3 yr. colonoscopy today.

i used his advise....would NOT let them use epinephrine in anesthetic to put me completely put under.

they also sucked air out of me after the colonoscopy so it was more comfortable for me; not full of gas. amazing doing the prep, lost 4 lbs. of crap. lol

will tell this to my dentist office to record it in ALLERGY area.

from my lyme activist friend this week:

I have been in a health decline since I had a colonoscopy in 2008. The culprit is epinephrin used with the anesthesia.

I was told this by a med school prof also with chronic Lyme who also went downhill after a colonoscopy. It's true.

Since my dentist has stopped using it or is only using minimal amounts, I have not had the mini-relapses I used to have after a dentist visit.

It seems docs use this to speed things up. I don't think it is essential.

See:

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/lyme-disease-support-forums/medicine-treatments/3201768-epinephrine-warningdentalcolonoscopy-procedures

- end others' voices.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

In between bathroom runs, I'm reading this.

Thanks for the tip!

I know to warn them about steroids, but I didn't know epinephrin was a problem.

Please convey my thanks to whomever saw my post and responded.

I'll make sure to tell anesthesiologist tomorrow.

Back to the bathroom!

--------------------
RI

tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would avoid the epinephrine. I also recently had dental work and asked for the novacaine (sp?) without epinephrine and only knew about it b/c someone I know told me they reacted to it so I knew I would. I had no problems with the one without it.

I did have problems with something they gave me for colonoscopy before too so I'm guessing that must have had epinephrine in it.

I do vaguely remember when they were putting me out though that I kept telling the doctor "this feels sooooo gooood and kept asking him for a prescription for whatever it was so I could take it at home and then I was out". LOL

As far as the prep and recovery I had the exact fears you have b/c I was so weak to begin with and I kept saying there's no way I could do it but somehow I got through it and you will too. Good luck!

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

what is dangerous about the epinephrine?

does anyone know in case the docs ask me?

--------------------
RI

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I've never heard of them using "EPINEPHRINE" for a colonoscopy....nor steroids. Why the heck would they????

Judie is right... the meds leave your body quickly and once you come to you will not feel drugged that much. At least I didn't. Just a little tired.

Eat light foods... and yes, they will have an exit sheet for you saying that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Epinephrine probably shocks the adrenals a bit. Like taking a bunch of Sudafed.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Talktel,

Let them know you have a condition that involves adrenal dysfunction and fatigue and that your adrenal system is likely too weak to tolerate the stimulating effects of epinephrine (ep pri nef frine) - EPI (pronounce eppie, for short).

"EPINEPHRINE" (EPI) is in a lot of the anesthetic drugs, numbing agents. It also help to retard bleeding during surgical and dental procedures.

Google: epinephrine, anesthetics

For those with lyme and weak adrenals, the effect can be just awful for days afterward. First, the icky agitated high; then the crash & fatigue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephrine

Epinephrine (also known as adrenaline or adrenalin) is a hormone and a neurotransmitter.[1]

Epinephrine has many functions in the body, regulating heart rate, blood vessel and air passage diameters, and metabolic shifts; epinephrine release is a crucial component of the fight-or-flight response of the sympathetic nervous system.

. . .

In local anesthetics

Adrenaline is added to injectable forms of a number of local anesthetics, such as bupivacaine and lidocaine, as a vasoconstrictor to slow the absorption and, therefore, prolong the action of the anesthetic agent.

Some of the adverse effects of local anesthetic use, such as apprehension, tachycardia, and tremor, may be caused by adrenaline.

Epinephrine/adrenalin is frequently combined with dental and spinal anesthetics and can cause panic attacks in susceptible patients at a time when they may be unable to move or speak due to twilight drugs. [20] . . .

. . . Adverse reactions to adrenaline include palpitations, tachycardia, arrhythmia, anxiety, headache, tremor, hypertension, and acute pulmonary edema.[21]

Use is contraindicated in people on nonselective β-blockers, because severe hypertension and even cerebral hemorrhage may result.[10] . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Keebler, thanks for letting me know the reason.

I do have adrenal dysfunction, so that would not be good.

Its hard to concentrate because my dizziness and weakness is just so overwhelming.

And the side affects of the prep are horrible.

--------------------
RI

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Propofol is what they used on my colonoscopy and it was wonderful. No wonder Michael Jackson overdosed on it!!!

I actually felt better afterwards and it calmed all my twitches and tremors. Slept like a baby after the procedure, meanwhile I was weak and too symptomatic during the prep and bathroom phase.

I think propofol also puts Borrelia and parasites to sleep, at least for that day.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Talktel-

I hope the colonoscopy went well.

How are you doing?

Please let us know when you can.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement