LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anyone notice moons on finger nails receding?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone notice moons on finger nails receding?
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one of the things i noticed when i was really sick was the quarter moons on my finger nails had disappeared....they're coming back on the thumbs but they're different height every day, there's no evidence of the moons on my other fingers tho....
Posts: 274 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryinvt2
Member # 37822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryinvt2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have noticed this just now. This is weird. My thumbs have their moons but the fingers have lost their moons.

Could this be due to the medicines we take or just the Lyme disease? I wonder. Mary

--------------------
If you could get up the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed. David Visott ~

Posts: 56 | From VT | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember watching this on Dr. Oz. Nails are a good indication of what's going on in your body. Missing the quarter moons means a nutrient deficiency.

I supplement for these, but the moons on all my nails still haven't come back. I'm thinking an up take issue with me, as my body is having trouble absorbing other vitamins and nutrients too (need some testing done).

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_do_half_moons_on_finger_nails_mean_for_health

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/arthur-perry-md-facs/fingernails-predict-your-health

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anuta
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anuta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Chinese medicine, the size of the moons on the finger nails represent the amount Chi- energy in the body. Big moons- lots of Chi, no moons- not enough Chi.

That makes lot of sense that during chronic diseases the moons would disappear, since your regulation gets blocked and the amount of circulating energy decreases.

Posts: 443 | From Montreal, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a search on this site and you will find treads/posts going back years to this very things.

My nail moons now come and go the last couple years. I'd lost all but my thumbs for years.

No it doesn't have anything to do with medications in my experience. I think the Chinese are so smart when it comes to reading the body.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6449 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am missing them on certain fingers & have them on others.

What about the linear striations on the nails. I think another indicator of health?

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lines and dents in the nails (according to my doc) indicate a mineral imbalance or lack of minerals. Heavy metals displace and deplete the good minerals.

white lines in the nails are usually a good indicator for KPU.

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can also be related to thyroid/hypothyroidism.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After I got lyme all of my moons disappeared. Now I have faint ones on my thumbs and an inclination of one on my first finger. I have read it is an indication of hypothyroidism or B12 deficiency but it they can also go with age - so maybe Chi is a very good explanation as all of these things would take your energy.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffyFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BuffyFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is it a lack of all minerals or just certain ones? I have dents in my thumbnails and horizontal lines across some finger and toenails.
Posts: 287 | From somewhere | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have moons either,never did. Had lyme since I was 13
Healthy people always have good moons on numerous fingers
Always jealous even B4 I knew it was lyme
Wish someone could figure it out

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryinvt2
Member # 37822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryinvt2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD said my protein is low.
So maybe that is why I lose moons.

Anyone know how to get your protein back up???

--------------------
If you could get up the courage to begin, you have the courage to succeed. David Visott ~

Posts: 56 | From VT | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had totally forgotten about half moons on fingernails until your post and I looked. I have them on my thumbs but no where else.

I have issues with my nails peeling up from the nail bed. Went to dermatologist and she said my nails were thin. She put me on biotin and gave me penlac.

I have low T4 but supplementing hasnt helped my nails at all. I think a lot of my problem is lack of blood flow to the nails compared to the normal person..

Posts: 802 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was one of my main symptoms and I recalled in nursing school reading about fingernails and illness. I asked every doctor I saw (which was a lot!) and no one knew why. I googled it, in hopes of finding the problem so I could correct it and maybe help me get well. No such luck.

I had very bright white moons and now I only have them on my thumbs and they are pale...I did read something that said fungus can be the cause but still not sure.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larae30
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larae30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought it was something about vitamin/mineral deficiency or adrenal issue?

--------------------
Treating lyme, bart and babs

Posts: 506 | From NE | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjourneys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjourneys   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what a wonderful post! I was searching on fingernail issues through this forum. I am new to Lyme diagnosis and had questions.

didn't notice my moons also are missing. must be lyme as I've only been on meds less than a week.

This is a good post for other newbies that have joined recently.

thank you all for sharing!

Posts: 250 | From East Coast | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just looked down... my moons are back a little bit on all but my ring finger! they were gone from all but my thumbs.
Posts: 1725 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to bring this back up because I have noticed for years that my moons are missing. I have the thumbs but not the others.

BUT...last Monday my doctor gave me a methyl B12 shot and ALL of my moons came back. I was shocked by this because I take methy B12 in my B complex supplement AND my B12 tests always come back at the high end of normal and sometimes above normal. However, clearly I am in need of B12 since my moons came back with that shot.

I have since learned that I have the MTHFR gene mutation which probably explains my high b12 levels but still needing more b12. With the MTHFR problem the body isn't able to properly process or use the b12 which can cause your levels to be normal or even high while at the same time being deficient. From what it sounds like my body was just storing it but not able to properly use it. Also it seems like maybe I just need much higher doses at the moment because of this problem.

Anyhow...I just wanted to share this with you guys. I couldn't believe my moons suddenly came back after that shot. I had been wondering for years why they were gone. Now that the shot has worn off my moons are almost all gone again so I will need to get some sublingual b12 and see if that will help. I may just need to get the shots though.

You all may want to consider b12 deficiency even if your b12 blood tests come back normal.

Pam

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks for posting Pam! Do you have one copy of MTHFR or two?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem! I have two copies of the MTHFR gene.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took methylcobalamin B12 shots for several months, and nothing happened. They helped with energy at first, but then made me sicker.

BTW, I have moons on my thumbs, but not on any of the fingers. They went away when I first came down with this disease. Never came back.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spirocheta
Member # 37889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spirocheta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody have the opposite? Something is wrong with my big toes only, and the entire toenails ARE moons, which then look atrophied at the top of the nail.
Posts: 36 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to chime in-
the moons on all my fingers disappeared several years ago. I started taking Liposomal B-12 and Active Bio-B last Tuesday and the moons are back on the first three fingers of each hand!

I had no idea these moons were an indicator of vitamin B deficiency!

Also just read that no moons can indicate an Iodine deficiency too.- Just started on Iodine Tuesday too!

So interesting!

Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daynise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daynise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.desertdispatch.com/news/nail-1021-nails-changes.html

This article talks about meanings behind nail changes.

Says missing lunula (moons) can indicate underactive thyroid.

Spirocheta- it talks about oversized moons being overactive thyroid and that white nails indicate anemia?

Posts: 428 | From Midwest | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have hypothyroidism, but my T3 & T4 are normal and have been for years due to medication. I noticed my nails got ridges and the moons disappeared (except for thumbs). I took biotin, didn't help my nails or hair. I take sublingual B12.

What other things might be missing?

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThatDarnTick
Member # 39987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThatDarnTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no moons. [Frown]

I've read in several places that your T3 & T4 can come back normal, but your thyroid can still be off.

Posts: 29 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's the free t3 and free t4 you need to look at, not the total.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLMD said they were normal.

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 397 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Right on Daynise (thanks for posting)!

--------------------

Spirocheta
Member # 37889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spirocheta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks for the link. It's creepy, because I have so many symptoms of overactive thyroid, but nothing ever comes back that way.
Posts: 36 | From Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement