LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SLEEP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SLEEP!
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, with the all important sleep, I've noticed any time I'm improving I tend to get more sleep. Truncated or interrupted sleep does the opposite.

At this point I am thinking about training myself to sleep at least 10 hours a night. Has anyone been able to get some relief by focusing directly on sleep? I am seriously considering doing everything I can to sleep 12 hours a night to see if I can repair more.

Thoughts, ideas?

Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debilyn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debilyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't sleep more than three hours at a time no matter what I do. I think sleep plays a HUGE part in my healing and how I feel.

Please share your strategy for getting 10-12 hours of sleep.

Posts: 331 | From West Coast | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great idea. I do feel better when I get sleep.

Debilyn, try valarian (herb). It stinks like you know what, but boy does it work! I can only take it once in a while though (gives me yeast for some reason).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10-12 hrs of sleep wow that would be amazing! I wake every 2hrs throughout the night. I've tried melatonin and chamomile tea but they don't help. My LLNP recommended an rx sleep med, which I really did not want to do, but may think about it.

When I wake I do need to use the bathroom every time, so I wonder am I waking because I have to go or am I just waking...

Posts: 1747 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VV
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melatonin used to do the trick, but I've tried not to be dependent on it. I used to get about 10 hours of sleep if I took a 5mg. I started backing off to 2.5 then stopped altogether, but due to a really toxic herx my insomnia came back full force (3 hours max) at which point I was using melatonin, valerian and chamomile and nothing was working until I got a script for Ativan bc tremors were keeping me from sleeping.

Now I can take a .5-1mg Ativan an hour before bed and sleep for 6 hours straight, then try to snooze for another few hours. I know I can't stay on it forever, but I figure I'll make the best of it for a couple of weeks to retrain my body to sleep longer.

Some things I find a must:
1. blindfold for total darkness
2. consistent timing to keep a good diurnal rhythm
3. turn off computers/tv's/cable boxes/gadgets completely (don't just put them to sleep). the vibrational frequencies are disturbing and can keep you from getting a deep sleep.

Posts: 922 | From Philadelphia | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe I used to go night after night watching every single hour tick by! I've had insomnia since I was a teenager

I hated the idea of it, but ambien was the best thing to every happen to me. I take 2/3 a pill and I refuse to go up...if it stops working I stop taking it for a few nights , and usually don't sleep, but then it starts working again. But I will say I have slept without it for the first time in ages since I have been treating.

So yes, what ever you can do to sleep. Sleep is awesome.

[ 10-20-2012, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Kudzuslipper ]

Posts: 1725 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting about ambien Kudzuslipper. My doc gave me a prescription for it, but I'm leary after all I've heard. That's a good idea to cut it in half or 2/3rds.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems I'm just wired at night lately. I started at 10 mg elavil and that stopped working so now I'm at 20 mg, which I don't like.

It really dries my mouth and nose out something awful.

The doctor gave me ambien and lunesta and I reacted very badly. My husband says I was talking in my sleep and even started thrashing around. Scared both him and me when I woke up.

Tried melatonin and I bounced off the walls. I was very jittery and nervous.

I just can't get to sleep at all. I lay awake until 1 and then get maybe an hour or so. After several nights I am completely exhausted so then I will take the elavil and just die all night...

There has got to be something we can take.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Ambien. Never gotten weird or anything. Sure wish it would put me under for a solid 8.

By the way, what is the deal with the peeing at night?!
Good grief.

And yes, I stop drinking my water after dinner.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately before bed I am taking magnesium, probiotic, estradiol, melatonin so I need a decent amount of water to get them down. Otherwise I would not drink so much before bed.
Posts: 1747 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

I know, the peeing at night thing sucks. I took half an ambien last night and it helped me fall back to sleep even though I had to get up to pee 3 or 4 times. Unfortunately, though, today my husband has a giant bruise right in the middle of his forehead (so very sad)... Just kidding (lol)!

Randibear, try valarian. Nothing has ever knocked me out quite like that stuff (it works fast). Warning--it stinks.

--------------------

dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bi Est or Tri Est cream on the wrists at night does the trick, a tiny tiny bit !!! HORMONES are the major reason why women can't sleep, estrogen helps get into a good delta sleep.
Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can sleep for 10 hours easily. My problem is getting to sleep at a reasonable time. I usually get wired and inspired around 10pm and can't get to sleep until 1-130...its driving me nuts.

I've always been a night person. But I'd really like to be a day and night person that gets good sleep.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My DD had terrible insomnia for years. We tried everything natural that we could think of and nothing worked until I stumbled about a product called CALM. It's a powdered magnesium supplement. She has to take twice the recommended dosage, which doesn't hurt her at all. She also takes 9mg of melatonin with it.

She can actually go to sleep at a decent hour now, and if she doesn't have to get up for an appt. she can sleep for 10-12 hours. It's been one of the best products that we've come across.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susieq2
Member # 30451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susieq2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have terrible insomnia. I've tried many naturals and RX meds. Now I'm taking trazodone, l-tryptophan, and melatonin. Oh, and desmopressin for the peeing problem. Before I found a combo that works (sort of) for me, I spent every night feeling as if I didn't sleep at all, and my body was falling apart as a result. I'm not treating my infection (can't afford to), but I feel a hundred times better now that I'm sleeping.
Posts: 59 | From Seattle WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Flexeril which is helpful but the best thing was fixing my adrenals.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement