LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » who uses ketek?/

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: who uses ketek?/
nonna05
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and which infection is it for? what is taken with it?
Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Ketek with Mepron for babesia, and also with bicillin for the lyme itself. It was a great drug for me -- the herx was intense, but it helped me a lot.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you explain what the herx felt like? how long it lasted.????
I have post about pain/help

the other med she did was cipro a month. change to levaquin,they gave generic, I had reaction .

So ordered 750 brand once instead of 500bid
now wants clyndomyacin (sp) /upped Mepron also higher dose of on Art
plus other drops

trying to start Tidamax, trouble each time

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ketek herx wasn't as bad as some herxes I've had (like doxy or rifampin, both of which were awful for me), though it did ramp my pain up quite a bit at first. It was excellent, though, for my joint problems, which were pretty severe for a while.

It also helped my babs a great deal when taken with Mepron.

I am one of those patients that tends to herx pretty much non-stop while on treatment -- but the worst of it was over after about the first month.

A lot of people don't tolerate the flouroquinolones (levaquin/cipro/etc.) very well.

It took me three tries to be able to tolerate tindamax, but I finally did get to the point that I could.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Anybody els?

Levoquin?
Clydamicin results
what does the herx feel like
?

I have company coming in 4 days, I thought for sure the way I felt and the time I had at the end of last month I would be much .

Thing's/meds are getting moved aound quickly by LLMD

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it shortly after I began treatment. I did doxy for 3 months and then switched to ketek. This was for borellia because I didn't know then that I had other infections. It worked so well I had a pretty good summer. I don't remember any significant herxing.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clindamycin is being used more often now with good results. We all herx. Sometimes it is pretty bad, but you don't want to herx so bad that you start a cytokine storm.

If you can't stand the pain, speak to your LLMD and ask what to do.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't there issues with Ketek? Isn't it associated with liver problems, has a black box warning? cannot be prescribed as a 1st line medication because of it?

I was treated with Ketek many years ago and it was a breakthrough drug for me but I thought most doctors were staying away from it.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mathias, I thought the same thing.

Also, I thought the ketek was stronger than levaquin (they're both floxins) so if you had a bad reaction to the levaquin, not so sure it's a good idea to be on ketek.

Re: clindamycin, I got C-Diff from it after just a couple of days (dental work). That's a med I have to stay away from. But it works for others.

Tindamax was something my kids could not tolerate at all. We never tried it again after the first go round.

Nonna, try to drink lemon water throughout the day. It can help with detox. Could be you need a medication vacation. Ask the doc about this.

I always felt very overwhelmed when kids' protocols were changed so drastically at once. I don't let them do that anymore. Slow and steady, one thing at a time is best, I've found.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better before company arrives.

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ketek is not a floroquinlone, is is more like a macrolide (Zithromax and Biaxin).

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my! Thank you Mathias for the correction. Ketek is indeed a macrolide, like zith and biaxin.

Brain burp, big time. I think I mixed up the ketek with tequin, factive, avelox (all of which I believe are stronger than levaquin and cipro).

Geez. So sorry! And thanks again for the correction!

Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement