LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Thyroid hormones cause muscle atrophy!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Thyroid hormones cause muscle atrophy!
Indica440
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Indica440     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thyroid hormones cause slow but steady muscle atrophy. I dont get it yet. Maybe its because of adrenal fatigue? I had my body temp going up when i took hydrocortisone (10-10-5 or just one dose of 30-35) but my muscles woud get weak and sluggish after i took the hydrocorti - which means im low in testosterone.

Has anyone here had these problems?
Its so confusing!!!

Posts: 141 | From cali | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did you decide that thyroid hormones were doing this? Very unlikely, I would say.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indica440
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Indica440     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
because i notice an increase of muscle loss and fat loss on hormones.... i need the hormones because i cant think without them.

why you think its very unlikely?!

Posts: 141 | From cali | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlikely because I have never heard of such a thing. Thyroid affects metabolism. Do a google search of hyperthyroid and hypothyroid and see what too much or too litle will do.

If muscle wasting is happening at the same time that you are taking thyroid meds, then it is coincidental and unrelated.

What does your doctor say about your thyroid dose?

Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indica440
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39461

doctors dont have a clue. usually they say its a bit too low. but if i go higher the wasting gets worse and worse. i dont get it...
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get your testosterone checked and supplement if needed. That will help your muscle loss.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have been on both cortef and armour for over 20 yrs...in theat time i have exercises intermittently

sometimes i gain muscle and fitness other times i atrophy and have muscle problems

but i dont think it is realted to the meds

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhodiola has helped me increase and build muscle. Also it's a big time help for adrenals.

I use Gaia Herbs Adrenal Health.

Go slow with it - it can be too stimulating if you don't find right dose.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Lymetoo to get your testosterone level checked.

From below link. hmm

Interestingly, thyroid hormones can cause muscle wasting due to both excess and deficiency by yet-unknown mechanisms.

http://ajpcell.physiology.org/content/290/2/C650.full

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indica440
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39461

i dont understand that arcticle at all. i only know most thyroid patients dont have that.... thats my question. why do i have it?

need to check testosterone, right!

MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hydrocortisone is an adrenal hormone, not a thyroid hormone. I did read an article recently suggesting that hydrocortisone and testosterone were similar enough that they do compete for usage in the body, and was stating that as a mechanism for hydrocortisone causing muscle wasting. I'm not giving any opinion that the article was correct or not, but suggesting that might be what you would want to look into.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been eating enough protein and are you supplementing with enough magnesium?
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indica440
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39461

yes.... more than enough. i never had this before my illness with lyme and co.

i also had it BEFORE hydrocirtosone.
its scary as hell!

nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to takev a natural thyroid ,before I got sick//50mg. Nature I could tell mentally in 3 day's if I stopped .

Then they started only making a combo.that didn't help

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been treating Hashimoto's Thyroiditis for years. Despite frequent exercising, at one time I loss muscle tone. I had all of my hormone levels tested (estrogen, progesterone, estradiol, testosterone, cortisol) and they were all low.

I believe the low testosterone was the culprit. After treating the deficiencies, my muscle tone returned to normal. I agree with the others to have it tested. I recommend having all levels checked through saliva testing. Aeron Lab and ZRT Lab are both good. I actually had some of it covered when I used Aeron.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the key is getting the correct amount.

Annu Rev Nutr. 1997;17:457-85.

Hormonal regulation of human muscle protein metabolism.

Rooyackers OE, Nair KS.

Endocrinology Division, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA.

Abstract
A continuous turnover of protein (synthesis and breakdown) maintains the functional integrity and quality of skeletal muscle. Hormones are important regulators of this remodeling process.

Anabolic hormones stimulate human muscle growth mainly by increasing protein synthesis (growth hormone, insulin-like growth factors, and testosterone) or by decreasing protein breakdown (insulin).

Unlike in growing animals, insulin's main anabolic effect on muscle protein in adult humans is an inhibition of protein breakdown. Protein synthesis is stimulated only in the presence of a high amino acid supply. A combination of the stress hormones (glucagon, glucocorticoids, and catecholamines) cause muscle catabolism, but the effects of the individual hormones on human muscle and their mechanisms of action remain to be clearly defined.

Although thyroid hormone is essential during growth, both an excess and a deficiency cause muscle wasting by yet unknown mechanisms.

A greater understanding of the regulation of human muscle protein metabolism is essential to elucidate mechanisms of muscle wasting.

PMID: 9240936 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indica440
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39461

I noticed that my girldfriend who is hypothyroid since a 1 year has started developing the SAME muscle athropy issues as i. It seems like its more hormone related (!) and not lyme/candida whatever. Its really the same patternm skinning out the muscles on the arms and legs and losing overall body fat... bascially the whole body is getting thinner and losing fat everywhere (!)

i think its not just testosterone which is out of balance but also other hormones. for example hydrocortisone helps me, but not enough yet and it makes my muscle weakness worse so this means i have low testosterone.

Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree it is likely hormone related. I think it is possible if one (or more) hormone is off it may affect the others.

I recommend having saliva testing done to check all levels.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indica440
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39461

Is this low testosterone? My muscles are all so soft and flabby and they just shrink and shrink [Frown]

Workouts help to some point but they begin to shrink again within days.

I really lose my mind with this crap...

OtterJ
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OtterJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also taking hormone replacement. I am also taking fruitcake, chex party mix (homemade) and a cookie called "haystacks" that my grandma used to make. This is called being a pig. The family party is next weekend and my willpower is not holding up. I am flabby and fat. Oh well. Not feeling like a treadmill, well, okay maybe for a few minutes. Can I pour ChexMix into the cupholder, or is that bad form? [shake] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]
Posts: 482 | From Oregon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Indica440
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39461

did anyone here in this thread have muscle wasting because of low testosterone?!
Sammi
Member # 110

I believe mine was caused from low testosterone.
Sammi
Member # 110

I believe mine was caused from low testosterone.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement