LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Ambien, Trazadone...nothing working

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ambien, Trazadone...nothing working
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To say I am frustrated is an understatement. I have been sleep deprived since December. I was pulled of Rocephin due to Systemic Yeast, plus blood test showed low MSH and TGF Beta 1 or human Transforming Growth Factor.

Yes, I am on a complete yeast free, all sugars free, gluten free diet. Fun...

I have serious sleep issues. First they tried upping my Clonazapam, then Baclofen (bad), then Trazadone (didn't work) and know finally Ambien. Last night I slept a full six hours, great! Now tonight I can't sleep again. WTH?

They tell me I can't get better until I start sleeping! Like somehow I can will myself to sleep!

I am so confused. Moody, going back to being dyslexic, comprehension when reading is out the freaking window!

I want to scream!

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 392 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you should try trazadone again at higher dose. It usually works!!!

Also , I have not tried melatonin, but it works for some.

I know this is miserable. I am going to pray you find a solution soon as it affects everything .

This may sound nuts, but one thing that will usually put most adults to sleep is children's dimetapp liquid ( allergies ). Cheap too .

Praying for you !

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know the answer.

I know how horrible this feels.

Ambien .I get exactly 1 hour thirty four minutes,, then I'm up.... try to get to sleep and not start "rat race" thinking

,I take a third more and may get a couple hours...if not

Then when I hear the air planes start I know it's 6:30 A.M. and I may fall asleep somewhere between then and 9.

Or on sick/herx days I could sleep from 5-6 A.M. to 7 or later at night.

I must be getting better ,cause there were days when I would sleep for 1-2 days, with 1 or 2 potty breaks and a few sips of water or Ensure to get meds down.

This is no picnic we're on..and getting proper help and/or un-informed interference is just a fight.
That we usually aren't well enough to fight/fund/find/follow/....etc..

Oh ! The brain issues just the biggest bummer.

Hang in/on/over/through...great scripture

[Eek!] [sleepy] Nonna

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing that usually helps a lot with worst sleep issues is old drug elavil or flexeril- even at miniscule doses elavil will give good sleep.

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
Talk with your doctor. Rotating sleep medicines. I take ambien with ativan. Then on the days I don't take those I take klonopin with seraquel but space them out about 1 hour and it is low dose seraquel.

Posts: 631 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
See detail here about how benzos & and some other things block glutathione and can make things worse in the long run:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking generic Ambien?

Generic Ambien was THE WORST for me (everyone I know who tried the generic said it didn't work the same either). Only name-brand worked for me.

I know with ambien you need to go try to go to sleep right after you take it (I don't know if you're doing that).

If you stay up and "wait" til your sleepy (like watching TV or reading), you can actually push yourself to stay awake and it will keep you up.

There's this druggy trend to take a bunch of Ambien and purposely keep yourself up so you'll hallucinate.

Ambien is only suppose to give you 5-6 hours of sleep. There's a new kind out where you can take it if you wake up in the middle of the night. I can't remember what it's called.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shannon12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shannon12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also take seroquel 50mg, may not be the best thing, but it help me sleep well for the most part the past 7 years, I wouldn't have made it without it.
Posts: 229 | From Forty Fort, PA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also take seroquel. I am up to 100 mg ER with 25 mg to get me to sleep if that is an issue. I had to increase my dose when I started IV treatment. 25 mg used to do the trick.

My LLMD made some comment that it is one of the few drugs that gets you into some kind of sleep. Wish I asked him what the "some kind of sleep" was.

Posts: 755 | From Somewhere | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast can cause terrible insomnia. Are you taking Diflucan or Nystatin?

PS .. Try taking 2/3 of the Ambien at bedtime, then the other portion when you wake up in the night.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95208 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EWT1638     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take generic Ambein. 2.5mg because I've been taking Clonazapam for YEARS, I also take antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds. So my LLMD is hesitant to increase past 5mg.

I am very sensitive to all meds, so it has also had to be the lowest efficacy dose. Yes, I have been on Difulcan for 5 weeks now. HOW long does it take?!

I was on Seroquel before, trying to remember why I got pulled off. Flexeril is another in my FOGGY memory...not sure why I was taken off that either.

Thanks for the prayers annxyzz. I will try to read some of these links, although most of the time I find them difficult to digest. Blessings.

--------------------
When you reach your "wits-end" remember this: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

Posts: 392 | From Loudoun County Virginia | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is one of the infections causing the insomnia. Bartonella and protomyxzoa are the worst offenders. You need to take the right meds to target the right infection.

Sure, we all have borellia but you don't just keep targeting borellia. If you develop other symptoms, like vicious insomnia, it is probably another infection.

What other symptoms do you have? If it is bart, you might feel depersonalization (detached from self , others and life like a zombie), pain in feet or shins, irritation/outbursts or rage and unusual marks on your skin like pea size brown spots, crusty moles, swelling that does not leave a dent when pressed etc.

If it is protomyxzoa rheumatic, some of the symptoms you might experience are profound fatigue, brain fog, dizziness, hot flashes, headaches, nasal congestion, dry cough, loss of voice, tooth and jaw pain, muscle or joint pain, nerve pain, twitching, bladder irritation (UTI or frequent urination) etc. PR can seem a lot like babesia except for the insomnia., twitching and bladder irritation.

Ivermectin does not aggravate yeast as much as antibiotics and it really hits PR hard. I could not sleep at all when PR became really active but I was nearly normal two months after starting ivermectin - and I mean in all respects. It brought me back. It is imperitive that you stick to a low fat vegan(ish) diet if you have PR - no more than 15 grams of fat a day. If you do not follow this you will never get weil. Period.

Bactrim DS got rid of bart for me. Levaquin hit it the hardest but I could not tolerate it. As horrible as bart it, you can get rid of it - unlike PR.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickofsick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may sound ridiculous, and I don't suffer from insomnia, so I may not get it. But... I know of someone that used a listening program from Advanced Brain Technologies. It was very helpful.
Posts: 312 | From Utah | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Messa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 38065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Messa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take ambien. I have a friend who's on tomazepam with good results.
Posts: 415 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Symptoms of Candida:
http://www.thecandidadiet.com/candidasymptoms.htm

Candida is such a difficult condition to diagnose because it can affect each sufferer in a different way, on a different part of their body, in a way that may even be unique to that person.

For this reason, Candida is often misdiagnosed and the symptom is treated instead of the underlying cause, rather like taking a lozenge for a throat infection! Practically, patients often have to diagnose themselves because the symptoms of Candida are so confusing.

The consensus is that many more people are suffering from Candida than those few who are diagnosed correctly. You may find yourself suffering from any or all of the following symptoms if you have Candida:

PARTIAL LIST OF SYMPTOMS:

The Way You Feel

Inability to focus, Poor memory, Brain fog, Irritability, Anger, Dizziness, Depression, Crying spells, Panic attacks, Low libido, Persistent extreme fatigue, Hyperactivity, Cravings for sweets and alcohol, Insomnia, Poor coordination.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95208 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hormones, adrenals, and enzymes all play an important role here (most, if not all lyme patients are deficient). I agree with Lymetoo regarding yeast too.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Yeah, I already KNOW I have systemic yeast...so it is very probable that may be the cause of the insomnia.

But I am being treated with Difulcan (diet is correct too)...so at what point do we beat yeast? I had sleep disturbances prior to systemic, but not nearly as bad.

--------------------

EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Hi Lymetutu....that list explains all the ear infection like pain I have been having recently. But it goes away, so it can't really be an infection can it?

If I am taking the Difulcan, shouldn't I be getting better? I also take Theralac now, but I had not be regular about it prior. Know better now!

--------------------

jlsprow
Member # 40450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlsprow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

My daughter takes compounded low dose naltrexone and now sleeps like a baby.

It is important to obtain it from a reputable compounding pharmacy.

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/ldn_and_ai.htm

Hugs!

Posts: 4 | From Tallahassee, FL | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by EWT1638:

But I am being treated with Difulcan (diet is correct too)...so at what point do we beat yeast?

-

Good question! I'm still looking for the answer! I am 10 days into consuming homemade fermented vegetables. Hoping for the cure!!

I'm eating zero bad stuff and taking 100 billion CFU probiotic... and Sporanox, along with Nystatin.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by EWT1638:
Hi Lymetutu....that list explains all the ear infection like pain I have been having recently. But it goes away, so it can't really be an infection can it?

If I am taking the Difulcan, shouldn't I be getting better? I also take Theralac now, but I had not be regular about it prior. Know better now!

-
Yes, I've had a similar ear problem. It was like my eustachian tubes were blocked. It's better now that my diet is better, etc. That was really last winter I was having so much trouble. Never was an infection.

If I were you, I'd take two of those Theralac per day. Space them out, making sure to take one at bedtime.

These have 50 billion CFU's per capsule. Dairy free.

http://www.customprobiotics.com/custom-probiotics-adult-formula-cp-1.htm

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xoxoxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi EW
I know how very frustrated you must feel. Similarly, I spent nine months never getting past the twilight stage of sleep.It made me feel like a zombie.

My GP told me that sleep is one of the, if not the most important thing your body needs for healing. Part of the issue I experienced on Lunesta or Ambien was staying asleep. A shift to the extended release AmbienCR solved that issue ("CR" = controlled release). Now I get a good seven hours of uninterrupted sleep.It made all of the difference in the world.

I know you expressed concern over the dosage. The mg dosage for AmbienCR is 6.25mg (for females) - but remember that dosage is doled out over the course of the night, not all at once. Males get a 12.5mg but I would imagine the lower-dosed AmbienCR could be prescribed to them as well.

This is, of course, my experience and what worked for me but perhaps this may be help for you? Something to discuss with your doctor anyway.

Good luck - I hope that you are able to find something that provides you with relief!

--------------------
----------
Danni

Posts: 311 | From Glen Mills, PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EWT1638
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11315

Thanks all. Last night was night number 3, at 2.5mg.

Last night I got edgy/shaky a little irritable before bed, kind of a pre-panic attack stage, but was able to out last it. It still took a couple of hours, but I did fall asleep. When I wake up though, it is with a jolt!

About 4 hours later I am really tired and actually fall asleep for about 1.5 hrs (used to do this back in the ole' days, lol). Mood is kind of "iffy", very variable.

If it doesn't get worse, I can do this. I just need to excuse myself more if I start getting irritated easily.

Funny though, once you get 'a little sleep', my spouse thinks it is time for you to stop being ill. "All you need is a little sleep and exercise." I get that it is tough being the healthy one, but you'd think after all these years...he'd get it.

Waiting on test results so we can move forward.

--------------------

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh EW... I so hear you. I have had insomnia, watch every hour click by insomnia since I was 13. Ambien truly changed my life. And I no longer feel guilty for taking it. Also, treating with abx helped a great deal. Some things that have helped the ambien work better...

Take your vitamin d3 with dinner (and make sure there is a little fat with it.).

Take a probiotic at bed time (tutu told me that and it does make you sleepy.)

Taking magnesium supps 2 hours before bed can help too.

And like mentioned above. Take the ambien right before you get I to bed. If you take it too early you do fight it.

And... Psychologically, A shrink once told me, You can't die from not sleeping (although many years later they proved it does shorten your life...lol). But she did encourage me not to stress about not sleeping. To try and enjoy just resting and that did help.

Posts: 1725 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have missed this, but have you addressed adrenal fatigue? My sleep didn't improve until I addressed it, and then it got a lot better.

I still need Flexeril at night and still have some bad nights here and there, but things are MUCH improved.

Also, this is hardly a cure but I did read an article on insomnia that said: when you can't fall asleep, rather than going into panic mode about how you won't be able to function the next day (what I used to do), tell yourself instead that "I have had bad nights before and I have managed."

That has really helped to minimize the anxiety that could sometimes keep the downward cycle of insomnia going.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement