LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cholesterol runs high w/ lyme patients??? True or False??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cholesterol runs high w/ lyme patients??? True or False??
smileynot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smileynot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been getting my blood work now for over 5 years and my cholesterol is up and down... and at first my LLMD said that cholesterol medicine is just a racket and doesn't believe in taking it, although he does believe in not letting it get out of control either. He told me once that it might just be my profile. So do cholesterol problems come with lyme and does lyme affect it? I've heard that lymies can't seem to lose weight.

So if the reference range for cholesterol is: 140-200 and mine is 227..how bad is that truly?! The highest it's been is 235 and lowest is 200.

BUT, my Trig range is 35-160 and i'm at always in the 250 and higher range, but i have no idea what i'm eating to drive it that high, seriously. I need for someone to tell me what i'm eating
to drive it this high. I eat tons of fruits and veggies, lean meats, mainly chicken.

My DLDL is always high as well. The range is 0-100 and it's between 146-150. What does that mean?

I've also had for the first time my blood chemistry that says BUN, range of 7-18, show up high and increasing 19 and 20, don't know what this means. Can someone please help me make sense of this???

Posts: 114 | From nashville, TN | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had one llmd get absolutely furious with me because I would not take statins. By cholesterol was not that high either

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes.

Site: http://www.potbellysyndrome.com/

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, and Heart Disease.

Book link, you can look inside the book and read readers' reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159120058x/ref=nosim/httpwwwpotbel-20

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/112235?#000000

Topic: Borrelia Weight Gain? And What Helps.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do not take statins. They can cause SO MANY PROBLEMS. For ME, I would NOT worry about a count of 227. NOPE, sure wouldn't...but that's me.

(mine is around 160)

There are many natural things you can take:

policosanol
red yeast rice
omega 3's
Vitamin E

Your testing numbers are not alarming, just a bit high. Triglycerides are driven by sugar. Maybe you eat too much fruit.

Add avocados to your diet.. healthy fats will HELP, not hurt.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95055 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I came back after searching for "statin" detail in my notes but can't find it.

Do NOT take Statins, I echo LymeToo's advice on that but can't seem to find all the reasons I thought I had somewhere in my file about that.

But, indeed, there are OTHER ways and, actually, these cholosterol tests and interpretations may not be all they are cracked up to be, anyway.

For us, it starts with a good diet, of course but also LIVER SUPPORT is absolutely vital to help control lipids / fats. If the liver is stressed, cholesterol will show it.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

To learn more about the heart issues:

Search "statins" here: www.mercola.com

Search Google to find his site and books about the heart: Stephen Sinatra, MD
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Some detail here, too:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

CARDIAC Explanations & ENERGY SUPPORT, helping the Mitochonidria and myelin sheath.

Lyme causes all kinds of adrenal dysfunction. THAT causes trouble for cholesterol, too. Adrenal support is absolutely vital for anyone with cholesterol issues. Absolutely. Vital.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you wanted to lower it you could take Cholestrymine or Welchol. These things bind to to cholesterol and Lyme toxins.

So you'd get a double whammy.

Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smiley, I'm fairly new at all this heart & cholesterol controversy. So I can't answer your questions. Hoping someone can help shed some light.

I have another appt with my cardio in June and I'm dreading the statin lecture. In Dec he let me know that my decision to not do statins in his eyes is very dangerous. He told me, you aren't looking at maybe having heart disease, you have heart disease.

I've already dropped 40 points in a little over a year. It was 233 last blood drawl. My other cholesterol numbers have really improved also.
Trig dropped to 109, HDLC dropped.

But my LDLD too is 165 (0-130). It's all too confusing when you have inflammation from head to toe due to TBI????

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6408 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For on-going care, if the cardiologist is not LL, IMO, they can be no good - even dangerous - for those with chronic lyme.

Basically, everyone with chronic lyme has heart involvement. That's nothing new at all. But a good LL doctor would know that - and know how to work with it. Statins can cause so much damage. So much.

Also, IMO, any doctor who insists upon statins as the only way to approach this would never be a doctor I could have confidence in for anything. There are many other, safer ways to approach this.

Please take a look at the Cardiac thread above. Also try to find a LLMD to guide you to the best cardiologist they know.

A LL ND might also be a good choice for other ways to address this.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statins make cardiovascular disease worse:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/15/statin-drugs-on-coronary-disease.aspx

Dangers of statins:

http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiovascular-disease/dangers-of-statin-drugs

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95055 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/2/13964

How to find an ILADS-educated LL:

N.D. (Naturopathic Doctor);

L.Ac. (Acupuncturist);

D.Ay. (Doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine);

D.O.M. (Doctor of Oriental Medicine);

Integrative / Holistic M.D., etc. (Be aware that those in this category can have various levels of formal herbal &/or nutritional education, perhaps even just a short course. Do ask first.)

Links to many articles and books by holistic-minded LL doctors of various degrees who all have this basic approach in common:

Understanding of the importance of addressing the infection(s) fully head-on with specific measures from all corners of medicine;

knowing which supplements have direct impact, which are only support and which are both.

You can compare and contrast many approaches.

BASIC HERBAL EDUCATIONAL & SAFETY links,

BODY WORK links with safety tailored to lyme patients,

LOW HEAT INFRARED SAUNA detail,

BIOPHOTON - BIONIC 880 (& PE-1) links, and

RIFE links.
-

lax mom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lax mom         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband tried Red Yeast Rice for a year with no luck. He now has to take a statin. It's not ideal, but he supplements with CoQ10.

--------------------
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
(aperture)
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=115161;p=0

Posts: 2519 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I have a friend whose idiot Dr wanted her cholesterol to be around 130 .. (way too LOW!!)

Well, she ran out of her statin drug recently and realized that the drug had been causing horrific pain in her legs. Now she refuses to go back on them.

Good for her! Dr Oz had some Dr on TV last month telling about the dangers and the Big Pharma's push to get everyone on statins. Basically a scam.

lpkayak had the same problem with the pain

Dr Oz's show on cholesterol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZIpvPJ1nUs

I think it even states that statins are worse for women than men.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i tried red yeast rice for quite awhile. i sincerely believe it contributed to my yeast getting way out of control.

my friend uses niacin long term and swears by it. i've never tried it tho.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cardio did give me options to statins. He told me diet and exercise were my only options. Well diet, I'm doing better. But exercise.............

I would give anything to be able to exercise again. I have tried over and over again to going back to being the walker I used to before illness.

A few years ago I got into YMCA heated water exercises for 18 mths. 2-3 days a week at one hour. My last day there, I became scary ill during the class. Dizzy, heart palpations, weird feeling.

My gut told me stop, something isn't right. Knowing today that I had coronary artery disease going on inside me for years, probably is the reason why I never stepped back into the pool.

The book I started reading 2 days ago "Whole Body Dentistry" by Breiner, repeats the statin therapy is bad, bad bad.

Breiner suggests talking with cardio about doing CQ10 in place of statins. I've already decided my next cardio appt he is going to tell me what he knows about lyme & the heart.

If he's lyme stupid, he might be replaced. Chances of finding a lyme literate cardio in Louisville, Ky????

Sorry about my rant. It shouldn't be this difficult for people to find good medical care in this country.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6408 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you hypothyroid? Hypothyroidism can cause high cholesterol.

At one time I had high cholesterol, and it was not diet related. When I got proper thyroid treatment my cholesterol numbers normalized.

Posts: 4679 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statin Nation Documentary. I'd never take them either.

http://vimeo.com/65517435

Posts: 5187 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statins are junk, and I would NEVER take a statin, no matter what any doctor said.

Cholesterol is not the real cause of heart disease anyway - inflammation (read: infection) is.

And high homocysteine. But that can be lowered with targeted nutritional supplements (read: Methylation protocol).

Anyone who wants to educate their Cardiologist, give them this link:
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4165 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also have to look at the ratios of good to bad cholesterol. High cholesterol isn't bad if your hdl's are high. My HDL's are 69.

We had a cardiologist tell us that statins are a big cause of alzheimers.

Thyroid disease can cause higher cholesterol but there are natural means to lower the LDL's if you need to.

I also found, as was already mentioned, that methylation was an issue which is now remedied.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2680 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by faithful777:

We had a cardiologist tell us that statins are a big cause of alzheimers.

-
I totally believe it. I think it is happening to my father in law as we speak. I can't get his children to get him off the stupid drug!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty of things in Lyme patients can cause high cholesterol. The short answer is that everything from inflammation from the disease itself to other systems being out of whack etc... can cause an elevation. There are many LL physicians and others who are more on the cutting edge of functional medicine who realize that for most patients, including many chronically ill individuals with Lyme or other tick borne diseases, Statins are not healthful.

The entire approach of looking at cholesterol has changed immensely ever since statin drugs have been marketed so extensively; Prior to their induction, I know some currently practicing older physicians who were taught in med school not to even worry about total cholesterol until 250+! Today however, the nearly entire field of cardiology has been bent toward prolific statin use. Don't get me wrong, statins do have benefits, but they were originally designed for patients who had extremely high cholesterol (there are patients in excess of 300+ etc..) who were not responsive to other treatments. For someone with a 400 count and arterial blockages, the risks of statins may be worthwhile, but I feel it is asinine to prescribe them to everyone who slightly breaks 200. Much like how potent antipsychotics are now being prescribed for commonplace depression that didn't resolve itself after first-tier SSRIs were thrown at the problem.

Do your own research and see Lyme-literate practitioners. Try treatments and therapies that lower inflammation, ensure that your endocrine system is on track (hypothyroidism, sex hormones etc... can all raise cholesterol), and consider trying high-quality supplement protocols to help lower your cholesterol and other lipid issues. Fish/Krill oil, niacin etc....

The vast majority of Lyme patients with high cholesterol tend not to be extremely elevated, but simply breaking the "norms" by a few points, which is easily explainable by their illness. Throwing them on statins I feel is often the wrong course of action.

Posts: 685 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And not everyone with Lyme has high cholesterol... Last time mine was checked, it was 102 (that's total cholesterol).

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4165 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four words:

"Google Linus Pauling Protocol"

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back pain has been the one constant - Guess what? It got so bad after I started the statins the Dr put me on that i was bent over in pain - told him I'd rather die today than ever take a statin again....
Posts: 274 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The link I posted above about statins deals with the bad side effects of taking statins as well as the politics of it.
Posts: 5187 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement