LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 29)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 54 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  52  53  54   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Monti for the reminder to look at my diet. I am on a low FODMAP diet for IBS symptoms. I am slowly adding foods back in as I tolerate them. In addition I am diary free and gluten free. It is heavy in night shades. Perhaps that is causing the return of my knee pain.
Posts: 1565 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcarlnew
Member # 45378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcarlnew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife has experienced some rapid heartbeat after MBOT. I found this article. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6085526/
I am inclined to believe it is long duration hard shell but it is scary for her. Any thoughts?

[ 05-25-2017, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: jcarlnew ]

Posts: 92 | From Kalamamazoo,Michigan | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jcarlnew, is she on any meds that have the side effect of a prolonged Q-T interval? For example zithromax or sometimes asthma meds.

I agree since it was written in 1984 I would assume it was a commercial deep dive it is referring to or actually diving. Since it is cited as Undersea Biomed Res.

Posts: 1565 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I couldn't find a link to the full article. Does anyone have access?

As mentioned, we would need to know more details about the type of 02 mixture breathed, depth, time etc.

Is she taking a good liquid magnesium and mineral supplement?

Posts: 1624 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jcarlnew, the study you referenced suggests a lowering of heart rate and they say "prolonged" dives so it probably doesn't apply to an increased HR.

Does your wife have claustrophobia? Could it be mild anxiety? There are many possibilities.

Posts: 527 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Sorry, I do not have full access.
jcarlnew
Member # 45378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcarlnew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She does take magnesium and may need to add COQ10. I think she was no longer anxious until this began. I have a real good holistic cardiologist that we can discuss this with

[ 05-27-2017, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: jcarlnew ]

Posts: 92 | From Kalamamazoo,Michigan | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jcarl- I'm so sorry to hear this. I am glad you've got a good cardiologist to see. We will all be thinking of you all!
Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Memorial Day!

Jcarl: I sure hope your wife is doing better.

How is everyone else?

Hw88 and KGG?

Thanks again Reminder and Jolly.... How are you all?

Digby, are you still making improvements?

When did the fatigue part end for you if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!!

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Willbeatthis, the fatigue, what I use to call "atomic fatigue" didn't even begin to get better until I completed a year of diving. I still have to take time every day to meditate or I have an afternoon crash but I recover after a night's sleep instead of weeks of suffering.

It's hard to tell if I'm still making improvements but then I never really could tell other than in retrospect. Ask me again in 2 months and I'll tell you if I'm better than I am now.

Posts: 527 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
willbeatthis, thanks for asking. Actually right now I am really struggling, BUT... 2 steps forward, 1 leap back, right?

I built up my time and oxygen in the chamber. About 3 days after completely building up, my CRAZY insomnia took over again. The last few nights I've only had a few hours of sleep.

It is CRAZY!!! I actually think I would feel pretty good if it weren't for that, but my head is going crazy with pressure (feels like I only had 2 hrs of sleep.. blah), my quads go really weak when I don't get sleep. Anxiety shoots and I'm super shaky today.

It all points to Bart for me I think. SO, good news, mhbot is working because I'm herxing like crazy right now.

I think it's targeting my brain pretty darn good, which is awesome and hard at the same time.

I see my sleep dr. tomorrow, but honestly, when I get like this even heavy sleep drugs don't touch it. It is CRAZY!!!!

I'm going to back off the oxygen mask and just do the chamber for a while and see if it will calm down. THEN slowly add back in the oxygen.

I've been diving for a month now, so I feel like I built up pretty slowly, but I've always been VERY sensitive to new drugs and have always had to go slowly or half dose.

Oh how I wish I could sleep.....

hanging in here.... looking for the 2 steps forward. [Smile]

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh and my shins are achey.... I really do think this is a crazy Bart herx or flare... hoping some good is happening somewhere in this craziness.

I was having some pretty good days. I'll get back there... hopefully even better.

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

HW88, I am sorry things are hard right now. Not sleeping makes everything harder!! It sounds miserable. I took 3 months to ramp up. I know that is incredibly slow. But it was at a pace that I could tolerate. I am glad you are backing off on the oxygen mask. I was going to suggest a day or two off and see how you feel. I still do that occasionally and I am about 18 months into it now.

Hope the sleep doc can be of help. Hang in there!!

{{{Gentle hugs}}}
Karen

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Thanks Karen. I thought a month was a pretty long time to ramp up, but I probably did it too fast for me.

How are you feeling these days being 18 mo. in? Mostly functional. I think I remember you had a surgery recently, right?

ugg, just looking for a bit of hope.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HW88...

It occurred to me that I just passed the 5 year Lyme-free mark...thanks to mHBOT.

I hope that gives you encouragement and something to look forward to. The best is yet to come...

Posts: 1624 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

I love that line- the best is yet to come....

HW88, I am doing well. Mostly functional. Not able to work. I was better last summer before my appendix decided to be a problem. Lately, I am better every day. Thanks for asking!

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Oh thank you my friends!!! The best is yet to come.

Thanks for the hope tonight... Let's all pray I sleep! HA HA.

I think I'm going to put a giant sized post it note in my room that says the best is yet to come!!

I can do it!

Jolley
Member # 46454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there HW88; sorry it's tough right now.
Posts: 64 | From Washington | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Congratulations Phoiph! And Thank You for your encouragement and guidance.
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Thanks, Digby!
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Yes, Congratulations, Phoiph! What an incredible milestone! Like Digby and everyone else- I am so grateful for your guidance and encouragement!

HW- Hang in there! The first month can be tough! Yes, there is a pony in here somewhere!

Kgg-Glad you're having good days and Digby-thanks as always for sharing your experience! I will ask- you know it!

[woohoo] Five Years Free! Phoiph... Thank you! You INSPIRE us all!

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Many thanks, willbeatthis!
Jolley
Member # 46454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay Phoiph, that is fantastic! Happy for you.
Posts: 64 | From Washington | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Much appreciation, Jolley... :)

Keep your eye on the prize, everyone...life is very good on the "other side".

As willbeatthis said...there really is a pony in there...:)

Never, never give in or give up!

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thank you for the encouragement Phoiph! You're a gift to us all! [group hug]
kgg
Member # 5867

Phioph, the thing I appreciate most about your 5 year mark is that you are still advocating for mHBO. You haven't left us in the dust with living a healthy life, too busy to be bothered. For that I will be eternally grateful.
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Awww...willbeatthis and kgg, thank you...

I am so grateful to be well and to see other people benefiting.

As I have said many times, it makes my journey through hell seem like it had a purpose...

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Yeah for everyones uplifting words. Yeah for phoiph.

I'm doing better than the beginning of the week. I dropped the oxygen mask and seem to do better. I will gradually add that back in.

I guess I just went too fast.

I'm hopeful though. Thank you for providing hope on the days I need it most!

Hope everyone has a good week this week!

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After a long hiatus due to a window blowing in my chamber, we finally scrapped together the funds and had our chamber fixed by Oxyhealth and I am back on line.

I'm currently at 30 minutes with oxygen mask and will go to 45 minutes tomorrow. I have two questions for the group.

My predominant systems are chronic low grade pain in my joints, connective tissue, and muscles as well as abdominal pain that flares. My LLMD believes that my symptoms mimic Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. Does anyone know if mHBOT will help that condition?

From the article Phoiph posted, More is Better: The Recurrent Illusion Of Higher Pressure HBOT in Chronic Brain Injury, the author stated near the top of page 2 that "large chunks of treatment beyond 80 treatments are toxic as I and others have demonstrated". Would people care to comment?

I know he is talking about treatment pressures at 1.7 and treating 2x a week for 7 days but the above statement seems to be talking about HBOT treatment in general.

He also stated on the bottom of page 1 that "besides toxicity there is a metabolic fatigue that occurs reproducibly". Is it possible that Foxy Lady may have experienced this issue as opposed to the oxygen feeding babesia?

I look forward to posting progress and that pony

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi Soccermama- Glad you are getting back to treating, that is wonderful. I know being without a chamber would be hard!

I don't have any answers here to your questions but I do have a question for the group.

Have you all experienced burning pain behind the knee caps when diving and afterwards (I would say achy as well- this has made working out somewhat difficult and I am currently going low impact and slow)? I have a feeling it is die off but I am trying to decipher if it is my overuse injury (I was doing the elliptical pretty hard at one point) but what is interesting as it seems to get worse when diving which makes me think die off? Did you find this got better over time? Theoretically you would think with the anti inflam properties of mhbot it would work to heal my knee injuries-thus, I feel led again to die off?

Any thoughts... would be GREATLY appreciated. Trying to determine if I need to go back to the PT guy and that cost real money and time. Thanks...

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Welcome back, soccermama!

I had all the symptoms of MCAS when I was ill, although at that time there was no label for it.

Since MCAS is an immune driven syndrome and mHBOT modulates the immune response, IMO it will be very beneficial.

About the article...
This was also my concern with foxy (which I mentioned in my post to her), especially when she was doing other treatments combined.

Different people have different tolerances to oxygen and mHBOT, just like they do to any drug.

Yes, Dr. Harch was referring to the dangers of treating neurological conditions with frequent treatments, at higher pressures with 100% medical-grade 02.

Even so, there are still individual tolerances and sensitivities that should be taken into consideration even at the mild pressures and lesser 02 percentages that we use, especially if someone is doing longer sessions, more that one session per day or taking in a lot of medications, etc.

Metabolic stress can happen when the free radicals (which are necessary to disarm pathogens, etc.) created are greater than what our natural antioxidants production (promoted by mHBOT) can handle. This can contribute to metabolic fatigue (among other things), causing the energy of the cells to be used up faster than the body can replace it.

Just like anything else, there can be too much of a good thing. Balance is the key.

Regarding large chunks of sessions (over 80) without break possibly being toxic...with high pressures and 100% 02, I believe that would be true. Also, with mild pressures using 02 more than once a day for an extended period, I believe could be too much for certain individuals. The truth is, we really don't know all the answers.

Personally, I have done over 1700 sessions (1 hour, mild pressure with 02), but after 2-1/2 years dropped down from 1 session daily, to 1 session 3-4 times per week. I intuitively knew it was time to reduce my sessions. I feel every day would be too much for me now, but I absolutely needed the daily treatments when I was very ill.

Again, this is an individual thing, and IMO this is why it is safest to go "low and slow", and monitor your reactions.

There are still many questions where mHBOT is concerned, but overall, especially when compared to other therapies, it is very safe when not overdone.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

willbeatthis~

I experienced a "revisitation" of pain, etc. in many areas of previous injury when healing with mHBOT.

I even had old scars resurface, then disappear.

It is part of the "peeling of the onion". Fortunately, the revisitation usually is shorter and of less intensity than the original injury.

The pressurization and depressurization of the chamber may also be contributing to the achiness (think of bones aching when a low pressure storm is coming).

I would definitely rest your knees and do low impact while going through this phase. Also, stretching is very important (are you doing Yoga)?

Also...if you do go to the PT, I would ask about a possible muscle imbalance in your quads. At one time (pre-Lyme), I had pain under my knee caps, and found (from running), I had built up one side of muscles more than the other, causing my knee caps to be pulled to one side and become inflamed. I did some specific leg exercises to strengthen, stretch, and balance the muscles, and have not had issues since.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Bless you, Phoiph! I really appreciate the support.

Does the achiness subside with pressurization \depressurization over time. That makes perfect sense to me.

Yes, I'm resting them for sure and will look into local yoga. I stayed away with my low back but that seems better and yoga would be the speed I think my body needs right now. I am stretching. You can bet if I go to the PT I will ask about the muscle imbalance. I have a feeling that could be happening. I will call tomorrow to get an appt. Given that I will likely need to rehab with the yoga. Thanks for an amazing plan as always! You are the BEST! Hugs! [bow]

Phoiph
Member # 41238

willbeatthis~

Yes, in my experience, it does subside over time...unless, of course, you are continually overworking an injured area.

I have always thought we need to be cautious in attributing everything to a "herx", when we could be overlooking the fact that it could be something from the past that our body is now trying to heal.

I like yoga for many reasons, one of which it uses the body's wisdom to reach places that need the healing...and that you only do what your body is asking for in that moment; never more.

With a good instructor, there are always compensatory positions (and use of props) for injuries and issues (like lower back). I would look for a restorative-type class that does a lot of stretching and balance to begin with.

Keep us posted!

Jolley
Member # 46454

What does metabolic fatigue look like?
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thank you, Phoiph, again! This is super helpful. I will reach out to some local yoga places tomorrow for a restorative class. I think going easy is what my body needs right now.

I will keep you all posted and again... thank you!

Jolley, I Am not sure... maybe someone else will know...

Hugs, Team! Thanks for all the GREAT support [Smile]

Phoiph
Member # 41238

quote:
Originally posted by Jolley:
What does metabolic fatigue look like?

Possibly like "chronic fatigue" symptoms, from what I can gather.
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will say in response to the "metabolic fatigue" I didn't feel at all that the chamber in any way made that worse.

I don't think I would worry about that so much.

Energy, has never been too bad! (thank God) My symptoms really do seem to point to Babesia.

Now the million dollar question is... did the chamber antagonize this infection?

I still don't know, but I do know, it wasn't helping in any way that I could feel.

I didn't feel different at an hour. (which is mostly what I did that year.) And I didn't feel better at two hours. (which I did the last few months.)

I really did like the chamber and am still quite stumped as to why it didn't help or poss. even made things worse! :/

I am not writing to be antagonistic or discouraging! I think everyone should try the hyperbaric and am SURE it can be quite useful and helpful.

I am only writing in case someone else has my same symptoms and can be helped by my experience with it.

I still may try it again in the future, if I can get the Babs symptoms under control! (although I must confess I am a bit scared of it.)

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Thanks, foxy...your input is very valuable!

(Also...please know the following is not at all directed at you personally, it just prompted me to bring up a few points I've been wanting to mention...)

IMO, there is big a difference between "flaring" and "feeding" an infection/condition.

I don't doubt that mHBOT might "flare" a condition (such as Babesia). A flare refers to symptoms related to an immune response to an infection, etc.

(For example, you might have a fever flare when fighting the flu which will cause you to feel worse.)

I personally don't agree (and have never seen any evidence) that mHBOT "feeds" conditions (like Babesia or yeast). As Dr. J has mentioned, in the body, oxygen doesn't work like "fertilizer" to feed or grow Babesia.

That said, it will strengthen the immune system to react more strongly against a pathogen, and the symptoms may flare while that pathogen is being fought by the immune system.

Curiously, if someone is taking antimicrobials and experience an increase of symptoms, they will call this a flare, or a "herx", and interpret it as a good thing. With mHBOT, however, it somehow is construed to be "feeding" the pathogen.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

You make some good points here Phoiph. Quite frankly on the yeast front, if you really clean up your diet, I don't think it would be an issue.

We all know that for the lyme and cos to lose their foothold, the immune system has to recover the upper hand. I think my babesia is acting up a little but I expect this.

My bart sure has. I think it is smart to be in tune with your body and try other means of support if you can't turn a corner. Much like Foxy lady has done.

As you know I still rife and use the Zhang protocol so I'm not sure there is another angle I could come from and I'm getting ready to experiment again on tapering down rife wise. I am getting close to my 5 month mark- woohoo- and I think very much that mhbot and oxygen is a drug so to not expect herxes and or what some term as feeding an organism is mistaken in my view. Not unlike any other therapy with lyme you have to adjust for your body's response.

I can say that there is no doubt to me mhbot goes deeper than any other medium I've used including IM Bicillin, rife and photons. I am very grateful to Phoiph and the others that share their very valuable experience here.

As we all know treating lyme and cos and having them exact a certain level of fear and folks like Phoiph that stay grounded in science and personal experience are beacons in the night when on this road we experience times of darkness and uncertainty.

At times it is easy to lose hope. I have come to the place of finally understanding that true love and a lot of research indeed casts out fear.

Trusting your body and your experience(through whatever means makes sense to you for healing) to guide you as well as your doctor to me is key. At some level we must save ourselves. Hopefully all that we learn in the process benefits another... like it has here.

Bless you Phoiph and Team O2 for sharing your journeys and being light for me and so many! [group hug]

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Just an i.e. I've been hypothyroid for a really long time and on a fairly significant dose of nature thyroid;however, I still present as very hypothyroid. I have done my homework of late- still have a lot more to learn. However, I just discovered adding natural iodine to my regimen with selenium is a game changer for me. None of my docs figured this. The information on iodine alone and breast cancer is enough to make one want to know more. I'm so thankful to be sweating again and feeling like a truck hasn't hit me. I'm no expert but gosh, I'm so glad I read up!

If you have autoimmune thyroid issues, you need to be careful and in all cases talk to your doctor! [Smile]

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi Team! Anyone got an update? Hw88- you're our newest...

Jolley! Soccermama, KGG, Digby?

Hope all are doing well! Hugs!

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have worked up to a full hour with the oxygen mask. It has been different for me this go around. It is much more fatiguing but stimulating in the sense that if I use the chamber at night, I have difficulty sleeping. Similar to how I feel if I would consume caffeine before bed.

I am having an increase in body pain,fatigue,flu-like symptoms, headaches from neck pain, and morning abdominal pain.

I just remind myself that my body is adjusting. Any time I change something with my body I have a flare.

I need to get better at keeping track and journaling so I can remember the improvements. You get so used to symptoms that they become "a part of you" and its in keeping track that you can see patterns and the fading of symptoms.

I'll keep you updated. So grateful for the forum.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

I've loved catching up on this thread. It's been a few days since I've been on because I've been doing things... Isn't that nice to say!

I dropped my oxygen back to about 20 minutes, but am doing the chamber for about 55 minutes each day. Slowly adding back in the oxy.

I've had 2 people tell me in the past week that I'm looking better than I have in a very long time. I also feel that.

I know this is a 2 step forward 1 leap back game, but I'm so so happy for the 2 steps forward and for the feeling of progression.

I am journaling, so that when the 1 leap back comes, I will be o.k. and know 2 steps forward are coming!

The best is yet to come!

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thanks for the updates Hw88 and soccermomma! It sounds like your both making progress! That is always good [Smile]

Hw88- that's awesome that you've been able to get things done you're looking more well! Hooray!

Do you mean 20 minutes with the mask and the rest of the time with the mask off I assume but oxygen streaming?

I'm moving along! Hoping my knees will feel better soon. Also experimenting with iodine. That is a bit of a road but we will see! Hugs all!

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

willbeatthis, Keep in mind it is possible to get too much iodine as it is stored in the body. It is best to test for it. As I recall, there is a urine test for iodine that is pretty accurate.

The selenium helps convert T4 to T3 as well as other benefits against cancer. Once again, you can get too much so if you are on a high dose, limit the time you are on it and go to a maintenance dose. I personally use 2 - 3 Brazil nuts a day for my selenium dose.

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

willbeatthis, Yes, 20 minutes with the mask on the rest of the time mask is off and streaming.

I'm goin to be cutting the dose of my klonopin, so I'm afraid I'm in for a couple of bad weeks due to withdrawal, but overall, I'm moving in the right direction and REALLY so grateful for the recent good days.

Hugs.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

HW88...

I was also on klonopin.

My thought is it would be worth seriously considering waiting until you are further along and more stable with your mHBOT before tapering it.

Getting off of klonipin can be seriously traumatic and stressful on one's body/mind for many reasons. My concern is that it might throw you into a spin just when you are starting to improve. It also has to be done extremely carefully (see Ashton Manual).

I understand why you'd want to get off of it (and definitely should at some point)...but how important is it that you withdraw right now?

reminder
Member # 48228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reminder   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Estazolam for sleep every night (waiting to try and stop anti anxiety meds) and it works....our bodies need to stay calm,vital while trying to heal.

As usual great advice from Phoiph

--------------------
Chronic Lyme

Posts: 36 | From Florida | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thanks, Digby. I'm experimenting with 6.25 mgs right now. Good idea on the Brazil nuts. I'll do that as well.

The urine iodine test is with 50 mgs of iodine and honestly I am scared to attempt that(I can feel 6.25- a little jazzed up until it settles). What would be your recommendation? I am currently not sweating though iodine has helped that and other various hypothyroid symptoms-basal temp 96.1 recently- I'm on nature thyroid 195 a day (3 grains I think). Any suggestion would be appreciated! Thanks all!

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

With a basal temp that low, I'm surprised your doctor hasn't raised your thyroid dose. And yes the 50 mg of Iodoral can cause pretty intense anxiety. I would think 6.25 mg is low enough to be safe.
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Well, Digby, it's partly my fault because I haven't told her. I'll make the appointment tomorrow. I didn't realize until I read about taking my basal temp being a good indicator of thyroid treatment success. I would say in the last month it's come to a head in that I can't shrug off the symptoms any more. Dr H and all my docs felt like at 195 of nature thyroid and a suppressed TSH that they haven't known what to do. They even tested me for bone loss in my urine repeatedly and there has been none. Okay, time to deal. Thanks, Digby. I really needed the push. I'll call tomorrow and see if I can go in with a list of tests to ask for. She's really pretty open so at least I know how to read my labs etc. Perhaps we will be able to help each other.

In terms of doing 50 mgs of iodine, I'm truly concerned. Good to know the 6.25 should be safe. Quite frankly I don't think I could handle 50 just with my reaction to 6.25. I think I'll stay at this low dose and see if it helps any. I have been warmer and I'm sweating a bit. Big improvement.

Thanks again, Digby! This team rocks! [group hug]

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Willbeatthis: Just wanted to pass along some information my daughter gave me yesterday. I've looked at her blog before but haven't investigated it. She is a pharmacist who was diagnosed with hashimoto's thyroid at 27. She's got amazing information and has written two books.

Given your current symptoms and problems with the thyroid, she might have helpful advice on how to attack the problems.

https://thyroidpharmacist.com/

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thank you Soccermomma! I go to the doc Monday and will be reading up furiously prior. Honestly, I've been eating a boatload of cauliflower that I rice- and this too could be part of the problem.
Thank you again for thinking of me. Look forward to reading up! [Smile]

Digby too [Smile]

jcarlnew
Member # 45378

I ruptured the ligament in the bottom of my foot playing tennis, does MBOT help in healing ligament tears?
kgg
Member # 5867

Ouch! Jcarlnew that must hurt. I would say yes it will help in healing. Unless it is not attached. In which case, I would think you would need surgery then the hyperbaric.
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Phoiph and reminder, Thank you for your thoughts and love. I'm not in a hurry. I only dropped it by .12 and I won't drop it again for another couple of months.

I don't really have any reason to rush it, except I don't like being on such an addictive drug. I don't feel like it's helping anymore.

I do agree that the withdrawal puts me back, so maybe waiting is a good idea... But I bounce back after a few weeks... hmm.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

jcarlnew~

That sounds very painful.

I partially tore my Achilles tendon when I started to become active again after being ill for so long. I believe the tendon was weakened as a result of the quinolones I had taken for Bartonella years earlier (that didn't help me, BTW).

It was very swollen and painful, but it healed well with mHBOT (no further problems), although it took time.

mHBOT is very popular with professional athletes and in sports medicine. Here are some references in regard to how it helps soft tissue injuries:

•HBO has the effect of inhibiting leukocyte adhesion to the endothelium, diminishing tissue damage, which enhances leukocyte motility and improves microcirculation [Mortensen, 2008].

•HBO reduces edema, partly because of vasoconstriction, partly due to improved homeostasis mechanisms. A high gradient of oxygen is a potent stimuli for angiogenesis, which has an important contribution in the stimulation of reparative and regenerative processes. [Mortensen, 2008].

•Hypoxia in normally perfused tissue typically occurs in sports injuries due to an inflammatory response and edema. HBOT corrects hypoxia and dramatically reduces inflammation and swelling.

•HBOT increases fibroblast replication and collagen production. It also raises the RNA/DNA ratio in the tissues, indicating increased formation of rough endoplasmic reticulum of cells in the wounded area.

reminder
Member # 48228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reminder   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jcarlnew.....Sorry about the Achilles,however,you inspired me with thoughts of being active on that level again)

HW88.....As for drugs,my ultimate plan is to slowly ween off ALL meds,over time of course...some are gone already.

Wishing everyone wellness on this positive board and very thankfull.

--------------------
Chronic Lyme

Posts: 36 | From Florida | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcarlnew
Member # 45378

Thanks Phoiph, I will go on the attack.
Phoiph
Member # 41238

jcarlnew...

Have you had it looked at? As kgg suggested, a total rupture would be a different story...

jcarlnew
Member # 45378

Yes, went to podiatrist, ultrasound identified aerial tear/ rupture was his worlds. Crutches and air boot. Time is the treatment but also am doing cold laser, MBOT and ultrasound. It developed classic rupture bruising. He pretty much said use it to pain tolerance. No major activity for quite a while. He even said I could ride my recumbent bike. Wife thinks I should be completely off for 2 weeks but not what doctor said. He told me he has never seen somebody make a tear worse. As it was the plantar fascia ligament sometimes when they do surgery for PF they actually make little cuts to release tension. Weird !!!
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Has anyone experienced vertigo/dizziness as a result of hbot. Last night when I went to bed, I laid down and had dizziness so badly it made me nauseous. When I looked at my clock it was going round and round.

I don't know if I jerked my neck when I laid down or what. I eventually took a zofran and ativan so I could sleep.

In the morning it was improved but still there. It's gone now but I was just wondering if anyone else experienced it.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

jcarlnew~

Sorry to hear this, but very glad you don't have to have surgery, and you have your chamber to help heal this injury.

It will be interesting to hear what the podiatrist thinks of your progress in relation to others that don't do mHBOT and these other therapies...

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

I am so sorry to hear this JCarl.... It sounds like you are on a healing plan. If you can get your hands on a photon machine, the healing frequency helps to heal things of this nature too.

I am glad you have a solid plan.... God Bless You! I am sorry you are going through this....

Soccermama, I am sorry you are going through this. I have not gone through this exact thing but I think weird things are to be expected. Maybe dial back your time right now? Bless you....

jcarlnew
Member # 45378

Willbeatthis I have a PE1 Photon machine, would have to check frequencies but thinking to many things. Might be overkill. MBOT #1
Jolley
Member # 46454

Phoiph,it has become progressively harder to snap in my hose. I called the company and they sent a new male end that attaches to the chamber; it worked a few times but it is still hard to snap in. They are sending another piece although I'm not sure exactly what. Do you know what is wrong with it?

Soccermama, I had a dizzy feeling when I started along with intense anxiety and backed off a bit or took awhile longer to increase and it went away. Mine only lasted for a few hours at most. Is yours transient or does it stay awhile?

kgg
Member # 5867

Soccermama, I have had that but not associated with mHBO. It is horrible! If this was me, I would inflate and deflate much slower. It may be ear pressure related.

Additionally, before I started diving would get vertigo. The Epley Maneuver helped me with the vertigo. The theory is that there are crystals in the ear that have migrated to a place that causes the vertigo. The maneuver gets them back where they should be. You tube has some good videos on how to do it.

Hope it passes quickly for you.

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Kgg, My husband did that maneuver on me the following morning and the vertigo went away. We learned about the maneuver when I went to Cleveland Clinic.

Jolley and Kgg, I think it might be ear pressure related also. I have increased my inflate time because that is when I seem to have the most problems.

It's actually just my left ear. My right ear has no problems.

Willbeatthis: Your right that the chamber will probable cause weird reactions. I think it is from the body's transition from the immune system.

I'm going to keep plugging along. It has only been 11 days at full pressure with oxygen mask.

reminder
Member # 48228

soccermamma.....full pressure with mask....nice and congrats)

--------------------
Chronic Lyme

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Good reminder to all of us to take our time when inflating and deflating. It is not just better for your ears, but for your whole body.

Jolley...do you need to take the compressor hose on and off every time you dive? If so, it might be wearing out the connectors a little faster (I have had this happen).

If you have to disconnect the hose each time (for storage of the compressor or whatever), maybe alternate between the compressor and the chamber ends (or if one end becomes a problem, leave that end connected, and only disconnect and reconnect the other side).

Just be sure the connectors are always securely snapped in; you don't want it to disconnect while in the chamber (this has happened to me also).

Hopefully they aren't charging you for the new connectors?

Jolley
Member # 46454

Thanks Phoiph. I normally unhook them due to space issues. Yes, I think it is $40 or so to get the new parts. I am just glad Oxyhealth will pick up the phone when I call to assist.
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Yes, I do remember one day not taking proper time to decompress and I did feel veritigoish. I'm sorry I forgot that.

A little update, still making progress. Most days I'm at 90 minutes(newbies don't do this) but an hour when that's all I can manage. Upped my time when the Bart was going nuts in my feet. That has resolved! And knee pain is starting to as well. Now I have to add, of late, I have begun a ketogenic diet. Yesterday was the first day I can remember in a year or so having NO knee pain when walking gently on the treadmill. I nearly wanted to take over the gym dancing. They already know I am very much my own person! Ha!

Okay, the keto diet was started because all I would have needed was a redwood deck- I was bursting out my clothes, eating cauliflower,veggies and lean protein and ravenous all the time. We'll, something had to change. Also I had terrible bloating after meals-thats gone too. Maybe I had some SIBO. *And the CLARITY!* I can be a little work horse now!

No doubt this is tied to hypothyroid as well- thanks for everyone's help. I actually see the NP of a chapter author tomorrow of Stop the Thyroid Madness. Dr. S. Ironically enough he's an ILADS doc as well. Fingers crossed!

So now I'm eating high fat, mod. protein and trying for below 20 carbs. Get this, I can eat macadamia nuts, just ordered some sprouted and I have sprouted almond butter. Sorry Phoiph- if I've committed to something- which I was I Autoimmune Paleo- I'm pretty dedicated. I had heard you though- just was too afraid to take that dive. Mom died of Amyloidosis- a blood cancer essentially, and likely Autoimmune.

Praise God for Mhbot, functional medicine, MD medicine when you need it and caring souls like you all!

Jcarl I hope you are healing up nicely! HW- how you? Kgg? Digby? Soccermomma- I pray things are smoother! Jolley always good to hear from you.

Onward and upward! Gentle hugs to all!

kgg
Member # 5867

Willbeatthis, you sound like you have made amazing progress! WootWoot!! I am a little confused about what diet you are undertaking. Keto or Autoimmune Paleo? Are they not similar?

I am continuing to dive daily. I am still attempting to find out whether mold in our home is causing a health problem for myself and son or not. It is not a quick process. That tends to take up most of my mental energy. Trying to get my vegetable garden in and my perennial beds weeded takes up my physical energy. I am very grateful to have energy for both!

I am still impatient with my health as far as recovering from my appendectomy. Since I have not ever had surgery with general anesthesia before I don't know what to expect. People tell me to be patient. That is not my strength. =/

Would love to hear how others are doing. =)

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi Kgg- Well, yes, there are similarities between the diets but I didn't limit protein or veggie carbs and was not using much fat. Thus I've drastically reduced veggie consumption- still eating them but in normal portions. I guess Weight Watchers stayed with me all thse years and I tried to fill up on veggies. Eating loads of them - clearly because I had no fat for satiety. Paleo Auto Immune does not do nuts at least in the intro phase. Well macadamias and sprouted nut butter and coconut oil have been great. The book Keto Clarity is great! Tonight I counseled three students back to back and I was on - like the old days! I'm loving it. Truthfully, if I lose weight great. If not, I'm free from this hunger roller coaster, can think more clearly than I have since getting lyme and the inflammation reduction is leaving me nearly pain free. Now, I think mhbot has a real chance.

I am so sorry you are ferreting out whether you have mold. I've been there 3 times and it is an exhausting feat. When you get your place mold free- if it's there, you may get feeling much better soon! Yes that patience word is hard. Hang in there. We are all thinking of you and knowing you'll be on to the best days yet! Thanks for the support and encouragement!

This topic comprises 54 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  52  53  54   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement