LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter




The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive


The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » food sensitivity question

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: food sensitivity question
behealthyagain
Member
Member # 31816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for behealthyagain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you eat something unkonwing that has an ingredient in it that you are sensitive to do you have symptoms immediately?
-- Trying to figure out if it is a food reaction or a reaction to abx I have been off for two days when my hands turn red and get puffy within minutes after eating.... Would it happen that fast? In the past I figured it was abs or toxins but now I'm wondering if food

Posts: 27 | From midwest | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Q: within minutes after eating.... Would it happen that fast?

Yes. An allergic reaction could happen even faster but it can take a few minutes or longer.

A red flag to avoid that food (of course, after figuring out just what it was).

Your reaction does not sound like a "sensitivity" it sounds like an allergy. It could be much more serious the next time around.

Curious what was it? Nuts? Red Meat? Those would be of particular importance. Still, whatever it is (and it could be an additive) seems best to avoid even a trace of that from now on.

Ask your blood relatives if anyone has had similar reactions (and think back).

Let your LLMD know, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree w/ Keebler...sounds a lot like an allergic reaction. Yes, allergic reactions can occur within minutes to hours of eating something to which you are allergic.

Or could be a contact reaction also. I know of some with food allergies who also react on skin contact with the foods to which they are allergic.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4163 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
behealthyagain
Member
Member # 31816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for behealthyagain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VERY helpful Keebler and Razzle. Thank you. Not sure what it was - supposedly a salad and dressing I had was GF but it was something "out" that I didn't prepare and then was up all night with diarrhea I suspect the dressing - maybe not GF. Have found I"m sensitive to red peppers now and chipolte anything.
Also interesting about the contact reaction - not in this instance but at times I have thought "are my hands red because I TOUCHED that?" (can't remember WHAT but will pay attention now - had chalked it up to self being ridiculous.)

Posts: 27 | From midwest | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found out I had a nickel allergy and that a lot of our flatware and pots contained nickel.

We got a set of non-nickel items and that was helpful.

For testing food items. I was told to avoid the item for a month and then to eat a bunch of it one day to see how you react (that is, if you don't get anaphylaxis-type reactions and can't get to the allergist for testing).

I do better on a pitta-pacifying diet.

Any hot or spicy foods cause me inflammation and sometimes the reaction you described.

I can't do chipotle or most peppers.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like an allergy! I would recommend seeing an allergist. Do you have a gluten allergy? Because that definitely sounds like an allergic reaction and not "just" gluten sensitivity.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3


The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations. If you would like to support the Network and the LymeNet system of Web services, please send your donations to:

The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey
907 Pebble Creek Court, Pennington, NJ 08534 USA


| Flash Discussion | Support Groups | On-Line Library
Legal Resources | Medical Abstracts | Newsletter | Books
Pictures | Site Search | Links | Help/Questions
About LymeNet | Contact Us

© 1993-2020 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to Terms and Conditions.