LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » UTI

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UTI
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had bladder issues for a couple of years now. I believe it is bacteria related. D-Mannose will
take the symptoms away, but will it actually kill the bacteria? If not, do I need an antibiotic and which one?

Thanks!

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi RZR,

They will first do a "dip" test in the office to test for nitrates from bacteria.

Normally, if you don't ask, they won't send it off to the lab to culture it and see what bacteria grows and what abx works best on it. They normally give a broad spectrum. And if it doesn't work, and you come back they will send the urine for culture.

For broad spectrum Cipro, Bactrim, Septra,

If you have a lot of burning they may also prescribe some pyridoxene (sp?) which numbs the urinary tract for a couple of days until the abx starts to work.

D'mannose is so wonderful! It prevents the e coli bacteria from sticking to the walls of the lining of your bladder.

I think d'mannose is the best thing since sliced bread.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are other options for treating a UTI.

Homeopathy has been my life saver for UTI. I also used lugols iodine once for what I believed to be interstitial cystitis, which was probably one of the worst things that ever happened to my body.

Here are some treatment options that can be done on the home front that do not require the use of any antibiotics:

Urinary Tract Infections

D-Mannose one teaspoonful (5 grams), every 3 to 4 hours while you’re awake for e-coli urinary tract infections only. It will cure it in 24 to 48 hours. If it is not cured you have a different type of bacterial infection. J Wright MD
You can get it at www.iherb.com

take 10 to 15 drops in water or juice every three to four hours (while awake) until the infection is gone. SSKI or Lugol’s is close to 100 percent effective in eliminating bladder infections, but the amount needed is a relatively high dose, so it’s “Its potential goes far beyond being a simple disinfectant. – Dr Wright

I suggest that you continue treatment for 2 days after symptoms are gone.

MMS is superior for eliminating UTI, even long protracted cases with resistant bacteria. Do the 1000 protocol www.geneis2church.org

The homeopathic remedis of staphagaria, cantharsis or sarsparalla can work for UTI. Across the board staphsagaria in 200c works on most of the cases and I would try that first. If you cant find 200c try 30 c but give up to 6 times a day. You should be able to find it on any homeopathic sales site.

I had a friend with Hep.C. Although she was still continuing to work she was plagued by relentless UTI. I gave her staphs. 200c and she loved it. Never touched an antibiotic again, but for her it didnt cure. She used it when ever symtpoms came up over a three year period. I suspect that either she needed a professional consult with a homeopath to find the better remedy or she needed to eleminate the hep c first for a full cure.

Posts: 802 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They also have UTI test strips now available OTC-

brand AZO.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crawgir1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crawgir1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For symptom improvement, you might want to try Azo Standard. It is like aspirin for your bladder. It dyes your urine deep orange, but relieves the burning and pressure from a UTI. Most drug stores carry it.
Posts: 123 | From Pawleys Island SC | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GretaM:

D'mannose is so wonderful! It prevents the e coli bacteria from sticking to the walls of the lining of your bladder.

I think d'mannose is the best thing since sliced bread.

-
Amen to that!!

If you take it every few hours during an infection, the infection will go away.

Now I just take it twice a day for prevention. I haven't had a UTI in the 4-5 yrs I've used it. Used to be every few months!!

If you need more bang for your buck... this is what I buy:

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/now-foods-d-mannose-500-mg-120-caps

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95343 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carmen - that reminds me... I had an awful UTI when I was traveling in UK. I saw a homeopath there & she gave me some homeopathic berberine. It cleared it right up.

Look into regular berberine supplements, too.

I believe there are many herbs that are effective in curing UTIs. I don't like to take abx on a long term basis so I tend to prefer herbs. Here's some info:

http://www.askanaturopath.com/faqs/urinary-tract-infection/p/698

Also - baking soda can make the urine alkaline & help with pain. You probably wouldn't want to take it indefinitely but it can really help.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Berberine has helped me tremendously in this area.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=121034;p=0

BERBERINE – LINKS SET
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this horrific bladder pain for months and D-mannose did take care of it. I thought I no longer needed it and stopped taking it. One dose a day was keeping it under control. If I get it cleared up this time, I will stay on maintenance dose. Why do I always have to learn everything the hard way?? Lol!

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Carmen...I have been at full dose MMS 1000 protocol for 3 weeks along with MMS enemas. I am doing the treatment to help eliminate parasites. Bladder problem is actually flaring on the protocol...maybe it's parasite die off.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement