LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Low White Cell Count

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low White Cell Count
Kat1777
Member # 39231

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kat1777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently got back my last round of blood work, taken in October. At that point I had been on antibiotics for 10 months. My white cell count came back slightly below range (4). My LLMD brushed it off, says he sees it a lot with his patients, says it wasn't low enough to worry about. I AM concerned though. The count is less than half what it was before I started treatment.

I don't like what this treatment is doing to my body. Is this something that will correct itself quickly when I get off the ABs or am I looking at long-term/lifelong problems now. Maybe it would all be worth it if I were continuing to get better, but I've been at a standstill for quite a while now. I think it's time for a break from my treatment.

Posts: 90 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of us have below range white cell counts... and I often also have below range RBC as well.

Don't worry about it. With all the ABX in your system your body doesn't see a need to produce many white blood cells to fight infections.

It most likely will bounce back when you finish treatment. No need to take break right now.

I just count my blessings every day that I have awakened and still have some blood left in my veins ;^)

gmb

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCarlhelp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JCarlhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try 4Life Transfer Factor Original

But not a doctor

Posts: 366 | From Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This low white blood cell count is due to the antibiotics. It will correct itself when you stop antibiotics. No need to worry. It will not be a life-long problem at all.

This happened to me toward the end of my lyme (babs and bart) treatment. But, it went low enough that my lyme doctor was concerned.

He told me that this happens because the body senses the antibiotics in your system, so it thinks it doesn't need to make the normal amount of white blood cells.

My doc had me take Transfer Factor, 4Life brand. In 2 weeks, my white blood cell count was back up to normal. Later, it happened again, so we did it again.

When it did it the third time, he told me to just stay on the Transfer Factor until I finished treatment, which is what I did.

So, this is why your doctor is not concerned. If your count goes low enough, he will likely have you add Transfer Factor. It is expensive.

My lyme doc said that if the Transfer Factor didn't work, then I would have had to stop my antibiotics. I was on Bactrim DS at the time for babs and bart.

So, this is no cause for alarm and certainly not a reason to stop antibiotics.

It is now over 8 1/2 years since I completed my treatment and I am still symptom free, enjoying my life. That is the goal. You must stay the course.

I must tell you that I took antibiotics from second grade through 9th grade for rheumatic fever. I took them continuously for perhaps a year. Then, each time the symptoms came back, I took them again. So, lyme is not the only illness that puts a person on long-term antibiotics. TB is another example. Doctors are putting teenagers on antibiotics for years for acne!

See this quote from Burrascano:

"Remember, years of experience with chronic antibiotic therapy in other conditions, including rheumatic fever, acne, gingivitis, recurrent otitis, recurrent cystitis, COPD, bronchiectasis, and others have not revealed any consistent dire consequences as a result of such medication use. Indeed, the very real consequences of untreated, chronic persistent infection by B. burgdorferi can be far worse than the potential consequences of this treatment." (page 22)

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement