LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need Advice on New Dr & New Meds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Advice on New Dr & New Meds
Ames777
Member # 43190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ames777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have done well on iv rosephin and doxy from my current dr to treat Lyme. In 12 weeks, my brain fog is deminisioning, cognitive functioning is returning, and overall mood is much better. Feeling confident in a full recovery.

However, I finally was able to meet with an LLMD for a second opinion/additional recommendations. He confirmed Lyme diagnosis, commended my current dr's efforts, but wants to put me on all of the following:

Cymbalta
Ceftin
Levoquin
Armor Thyroid
Trileptal
Flagyl
Magnesium

I'm a little nervous, bc this is far more medication than I have ever been on. Not to mention, I am still on Lyrica, Celebrex, an antidepressant and a mood stabilizer from other drs (which he says stay on for now).

The LLMD is way out of state, so going with him will be very expensive. But my main concern is if all of this medication is necessary. Just very overwhelmed with making a decision on which dr to continue seeing.

He also retested me for co-infections since most of my initial ones were negative. And I'm getting my MTHFR tested.

Ughhhhhhh....

--------------------
Amy

Possible infection date 6/21/05 (no history of tick bite but went to hospital with "unexplained" high fever)
Tested positive for Lyme and RMSF in Feb 2014 / suspected Babesia as well

Posts: 65 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, according to Burrascano, nobody who is sick at least a year with lyme disease has just lyme disease. They also have coinfections. So, the retesting for coinfections was a good move. I hope that is being done through Igenex in California.

So, do you have the symptoms of bartonella (agitation, anxiety, seizures, brain problems, etc)? If so, that explains why the doctor wants you on levaquin. It is the treatment for bartonella. (page 24-25 of Burrascano)

Now that you will no longer be on IV meds for lyme, you need to be on at least 2 meds for lyme simultaneously, per Burrascano. (Lyme disease is able to evade any one antibiotic; so, you must be on 2 dissimilar ones.) Your doctor has chosen Ceftin (for the regular form of lyme) and flagyl (for the cyst form of lyme). So, that is good lyme treatment. (page 12 of Burrascano, "Combination Therapy")

A good lyme doctor treats the patient for lyme and at least one coinfection simultaneously. So, the lyme and bartonella treatment sounds good to me.

If you treat each disease one after the other, you will be in treatment longer, and the untreated infection will continue to bother you. I don't think you want that.

Per Burrascano, all lyme patients are deficient in magnesium, so all lyme patients must take magnesium until they are well. (page 28)

Cymbalta is for depression.

Armor Thyroid is for your thyroid function. Have you tested your thyroid and did the tests show numbers out of range--low, etc.?

Trileptal is for epilepsy. Do you have seizures or epilepsy?

Celebrex is for inflammation and pain. If you need that to help with pain, then it makes sense to stay on it for now.

Why not read the Burrascano Lyme Treatment Guidelines to see for yourself how lyme and its coinfections should be treated. This will give you confidence in your treatment or tell you if your treatment is lousy. Knowledge is power.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ames777
Member # 43190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ames777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your response. My symptoms are all over the place...mostly neuro. He thinks I have a co-infection, too, even though the first set of tests were negative. I have some symptoms that could fall under Bart and some that could be Babs. We shall see.

Thyroid is normal but on the border. I don't have seizures or epilepsy. Could this be used off label for something? Maybe I got the name wrong.

--------------------
Amy

Possible infection date 6/21/05 (no history of tick bite but went to hospital with "unexplained" high fever)

Posts: 65 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't imagine taking Cymbalta AND Lyrica at the same time. That is just me .. I have tried each drug by itself and my body said NO WAY.

Do be aware of how hard it is to get OFF of something like Cymbalta if it doesn't work out. (I was OK on that since I only took it for 3 wks)

And do be aware that flagyl can cause depression. Just a heads up on that in case it happens.

I could list something about each of those drugs... but I'd better stop now.

www.drugs.com

PS .. Be SURE to take a good quality magnesium as instructed. That will help protect you from side effects of the other drugs. Most of the ones you listed will deplete magnesium.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94694 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ames777
Member # 43190

I just saw on a previous thread that Trileptal is used off label as a mood stabilizer. I am already on Lamictal which is in the same class. I'll need to look into this one more.

--------------------
Amy

GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone who require mood stabilizers, has anxiety, or depression as symptoms with their lyme disease have bart.

Bart needs at least 2 intracellular abx plus another.

So the abx he has on that list would be a good thing to take, in my opinion.

Treating bartonella will help reduce your need for mood stabilizers.

Flagyl is needed to get the round bodied forms of lyme, that like to hide in our brain tissue.

I don't know anything about the mood stabilisers, all I can say is don't stop any of the ones you're currently cold-turkey.

Also, pharmacists are great at knowinng about drug interactions.
They could tell you how to incorporate the additional ones in.

Magnesium isn't a drug, it's a necessity for those of us with lyme. Bisglyscinate malate or citrate (sp?) are the best forms.

It is essential to take magnesium with levaquin. Not at the same time, obviously, but lots of magnesium between levaquin doses.

Lyme affects our hypothalmus. The hypothalmus controls a lot in our body. When I started hitting lyme heavily, my thyroid went all over the place. Armour makes sense.

Treating bartonella and babesia makes sense, regardless of sero status.

Most of us with neuro lyme have the Big 3 B's.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See this exerpt from a lyme book to get details on how to take the magnesium with the Levaquin.

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

This is VERY important so that you don't get a severe tendonitis from the Levaquin. Not everyone gets it, but you want to reduce your chances as much as possible.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyjenie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyjenie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD just addd Ceftin to Azith I was already taking. The Ceftin caused GI issues with nausea, tummy pain and bloating so he took me off it. A couple days later I had diarrea night and day. Possibly C-difficile.

I took Trileptal to help with herexes and it really helped.

I wish LLMD's considered our present meds when incorporated with ABX cause I never know if I'm causing a chemical reaction that will worsen my reflux or cause the ABX to lose effectiveness.

Posts: 245 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement