LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » heparin once or twice a day for IV?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: heparin once or twice a day for IV?
jennyfromtheblock
Member # 43805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyfromtheblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I am doing rocephin, 2 grams, every 12 hours for 4 consec days.

Should I be using the heparin flush both times? Twice a day? Or is that too much heparin?

Is it ok to use just the saline flushes and heparin after the evening dosage

[ 11-04-2014, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
celiac dx 2012
pancreatic neuroendocrine tumor dx 2012
lyme dx 2/14
poss igm wb, neg igg wb - Igenex/CDC

Posts: 85 | From south shore | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenny .. I edited your subject line to include "IV" so that perhaps those with IV knowledge will come to your aid.

I only took heparin by itself for hypercoagulation. I don't know anything about using it for IV, but I thought in the IV it has very little effect on your body and should be flushed each time. Don't count on my "info" though!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95670 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcd1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcd1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both times I did IV, once for 2 months of rocephin and then 3 months of doxy, I flushed with both saline and heparin every time after the dose of IV abx. I think on days off I did it once a day just to keep the line clear.
Posts: 908 | From Albany | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyfromtheblock
Member # 43805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyfromtheblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jlcd

did you do two infusions a day? I have heard so many different things. Nurse was concerned that two heparin flushes a day may be a lot.

Seems that different hospitals do different things? All saline, or both saline/ heparin

On my days off I do a saline/ hep flush only

--------------------
celiac dx 2012
lyme dx 2/14

Posts: 85 | From south shore | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't it help prevent blood clots? What does your doctor say to do?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95670 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyfromtheblock
Member # 43805

lymetoo, that's just the thing. I have two dueling doctors right now. My llmd and my primary who also treats lyme.

My llmd wants me on 2 grams every 12 hrs for 4 consec days. asked my pcp to prescribe that. Except the pcp usually prescribes 2 grams daily.

Involving the pcp was a mistake. The office is very disorganized, and I can't get anyone to call me back.

Its been a nightmare. I trust my llmd and he has gotten me so this far. I will follow what he says. I am going to be in his office today,and I will talk to the nurse about it.

I will see what they say about the heparin.

Since the meds were delivered I have been taking them the way the llmd wanted. except it leaves me short a dose.

--------------------
celiac dx 2012
lyme dx 2/14

tickbite666
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickbite666     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did IV rosephin 2x/day 4 days on 3 days off.

IV is done under SASH rules. Saline, ABX, Saline, then Heparin. So do Heparin 2x/day.

On the three days off, I did a saline flush, then a heparin lock once a day.

I would have the supplier check your prescribed dosage. I started out with IV Rocephin 1x/day everyday. Then after a month or so changed to 2x/day for 4 days on and 3 days off. The difference is 7 vs 8 doses. So that's why you are short one dose. Home infusion suppliers make mistakes so always check your weekly delivery.

Posts: 119 | From ground zero | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyfromtheblock
Member # 43805

tickbite....oh no, it wasn't the suppliers mistake. It was me choosing to take the meds the way the llmd who has been treating me all along, wanted me to. Not the dr who prescribed and hasn't had the decency to return my phone calls

fingers crossed I'll get this all straightened out today

--------------------
celiac dx 2012
lyme dx 2/14

GretaM
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did 4g rocephin once daily.

I flushed saline before the abx, and heparin afterwards.

I normally did this in the evening.

So every morning I would do another heparin flush.

So 2 heparin flushes a day.

I think it was 1000 IU per mL. I did 5mL heparin plus 5mL saline in each flush.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even twice a day, that is still not a lot of heparin. Some think it helps with the hypercoagulation caused by chronic infection, and in larger amounts than you are using.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyfromtheblock
Member # 43805

thanks everyone. Original LLMD is taking over again with everything. I am more comfortable with this.

He also told me that yes, a larger dose of heparin is fine, and it is actually really good with helping with chronic fatigue.

I am glad that I got everything settled today. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted! I was so stressed with things up in the air

--------------------
celiac dx 2012
lyme dx 2/14

Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maia_Azure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always flush with saline before antibiotic, then after, then heparin to lock the line to prevent clots each time I treat.

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Posts: 247 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should always use heparin when you are done infusing even if you infuse twice a day.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2680 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement