LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how to treat resistant bartonella

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how to treat resistant bartonella
katrinab
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katrinab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I may have resistant Bart not sure though. Been on antibiotics for four years, used combos such as biaxin and plaquenil, biaxin plaquenil and mepron for babesia, rifampin and azithromycin, azithromycin and biaxin, doxycycline azithromycin and biaxin, rocephin iv, and I've used cowden and buhner protocol. Haven't made much improvement. My symptoms are brain fog, short term memory problems, joint pain, muscle pain, I sleep a lot and am still fatigued after. I took mepron for a year and rifampin combo for six months. Doctor always thought it was babesia but I have no clue. He said coinfections are sometimes hard to distinguish from one another. However just recently I noticed what looks like stretch marks on my breastsandeven though i havent gained any weight and remembered that someone had told me that bartonella can sometimes cause a rash that looks similar to stretch marks. So now I'm thinking I might have resistant bartonella. What is the current treatment that is being used for resistant Bart and would everyone agree that this is Bart? It could also be a combination of coinfections I guess.
Posts: 723 | From boston,ma | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right there with you Katrina.I know exactly what you are going through. It was kind of freaky to read your post as it sounds so similar to my experiences. We are almost treatment twins by the looks of it [Smile]

The streaked rash you are thinking of usually ends up on the stomach but it doesn't seem out of the question for the streaks to move up a little the the trunk I suppose.

I was thinking maybe I was dealing more with babs even though I was treating for bart. I had to stop Cipro that was treating the bart fairly effectively due to tendon issues. I found out very quickly that bart is definitely causing trouble.

Once I stopped the cipro it was almost instant sore soles, muscle pain, tender and burning chin bones and the fabulous fog. Feels like I am dreaming most of the day. Can't have that.

So my take on the babs vs bart thing is they are both still hanging around. At this point I need to get a handle on the bart symptoms though so I guess it's back to zith/biaxin (can't do Bactrim).

This combo didn't get rid of bart before but until we find something that's more of a sure bet just knocking the symptoms down will be a huge benefit.

To answer you primary question, Yes it sounds like bart and yes I believe it is resistant in many cases as is babs. I am also curious to hear what others have to say on this.

I think it's time to dig the rife out again. I never really gave this a fair test. I was not disciplined enough with using it to see any benefit. I don't know if it will help but certainly won't hurt.

--------------------
If you play at the beach, expect to get some sand in your shorts [Smile]

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rowingmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 41213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rowingmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We found that our daughter's resistant bartonella was caused by an underlying, asymptomatic, negative-testing (microti and duncani) case of babesia or babesia-like-organism.

As soon as we started treating our daughter with Buhner's babesia herbs, her remaining bartonella symptoms resolved completely; something that 6 months of malarone was unable to accomplish.

Perhaps her babesia-like-organism wasn't susceptible to the single compound in malarone, but it sure did respond to the multiple components in the herbs.

Your doctor may be right, babesia could be involved as well.

--------------------
13 yo DX PANS/Tourette's/Asperger's/ADHD treated for Igenex positive bartonella/IND lyme with 2 years of abx treatment. Weaned off abx April 2013 at 80% improvement. Continuing with Buhner bartonella/babesia protocols. Aug 2014 99% improvement.

Posts: 265 | From Canada, Ontario | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rowingmom,

I'm probably showing my ignorance here, as it seems there was probably no test involved, but was there any test, or clue at all that there was a babesia, or babesia like organism stopping recovery?

Thanks. =)

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by average joe:
...I had to stop Cipro that was treating the bart fairly effectively due to tendon issues. I found out very quickly that bart is definitely causing trouble.

Once I stopped the cipro it was almost instant sore soles, muscle pain, tender and burning chin bones and the fabulous fog. Feels like I am dreaming most of the day. Can't have that...

Those symptoms could also be caused by cipro. The drug causes problems like that when you cease using it that can be persistent and even permanent.
Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Judie:
quote:
Originally posted by average joe:
...I had to stop Cipro that was treating the bart fairly effectively due to tendon issues. I found out very quickly that bart is definitely causing trouble.

Once I stopped the cipro it was almost instant sore soles, muscle pain, tender and burning chin bones and the fabulous fog. Feels like I am dreaming most of the day. Can't have that...

Those symptoms could also be caused by cipro. The drug causes problems like that when you cease using it that can be persistent and even permanent.
If you also had the symptoms before starting cipro, then its not a side effect of cipro.
I actually have the same thing with rifampin. If i stop it, within 2 days symptoms come surging back. Sore soles, brain fog, severe anxiety attacks, emotional depression, etc. Side effects of medication are usually experienced while on the drug, not 2 days after stopping it. I developed tendon pain while on levo and cipro, so i had to stop taking the meds, and the tendon pain slowely resolved in 1-2weeks after that.

Problem is the bacteria is only supressed by these medications, so symptom intensity is reduced. But that does not mean its killed. All you can do is keep suppressing it long enough so that hopefully over time numbers will decrease and your immune system will take over. And that might take a long long time.

Posts: 366 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement