LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Intense Fear and Worry...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Intense Fear and Worry...
Jamers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
One of my remaining symptoms is fear. I have excessive fear about things that didn't used to bother me, like flying or walking my dogs (because fearing something bad will happen on the walk).

The strange thing is, one of my dogs gets extreme anxiety this time of year. It's like he's terrified of some unknown thing and he hides outside.

Wondering if this could be MOLD or parasites or something that would affect myself and my pets? Anyone have similar experiences?

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeonade2015     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the dog's anxiety starts in July, then its probably because we just passed the summer solstice (its starting to get darker earlier and the sun rises later). I have seasonal affective and can literally feel different every week as the lighting changes. Longest day of year is in June but technically most daylight extends until end of June, I believe. You can really feel it a week or two after that.

I have a theory that this is due to high serotonin that is declining and low dopamine that is just starting to rise at this time. Its the body's way of getting ready to ramp up for the fall "rush" when dopamine soars in September (and then tanks in mid October). This happens so that you find food and seek shelter before the winter. Some people hibernate instead of fighting through winter - there are many variations. Right now, in preparation for the fall period, your body starts to shift from "relaxing summer mode" to "you can do it, go harvesting" mode. The beginning of the switch (late July earlier August) is when your body is used to lots of serotonin and little dopamine, so it can make you anxious and some people "zoned out" in a calm sort of way. Once dopamine exceeds serotonin you start to feel good.

The entire mental health industry will tell you that you feel fear because you have low serotonin and / or high dopamine, when in reality its the exact opposite. Fear is a result of very low dopamine and falling from high serotonin - when you don't have the inherent belief that you can take something on but your previous "it doesn't matter" attitude is diminishing. Industry will tell you to embrace the "it doesn't matter" feeling. I've found happiness turning that off completely and embracing the "we can take this on" feeling. Fear is a gift encouraging you to take in your environment and assess your realities. Embrace the fear and enjoy it and you really will find that there is euphoria inherent in paranoia.

Illness, immune response, inflammation, toxins, and feeling helpless all increase serotonin. You are likely feeling fear because now that you are getting well, your serotonin is dropping again (back to normal) and your dopamine hasn't ramped up yet. In other words - your used to being sick and your body is telling you that you are getting better and ready to encounter new things - but not without caution.

This is all oversimplified of course and its likely much more complex but these are just my general theories.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 69 | From NYC | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeonade2015     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry forgot to add - it definitely could be mold. I have never felt more fear than the time I spent living in a moldy dorm room. Sweating it out and removing source helped.
Posts: 69 | From NYC | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keikko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keikko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So weird, I have this too right now and cant figure out where its coming from. I'm sorry, its scary and is not fun. It's making me feel insane.

I don't have any answers but if I figure something out I will let you know.

Just wanted you to know you weren't alone in this!

Posts: 107 | From ATX | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"dogs gets extreme anxiety this time of year . . ."

Fire crackers?

Kids home from school making more noise in the area? Motorcycles? Thunderstorms? Dog's inner ear system is very tender.

Heat?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More than likely the dog is picking up on your anxiety. Dogs read us pretty darn good.

"Among other surprising findings, the study revealed marked similarities in the way dog and human brains process emotionally laden vocal sounds. Researchers found that happy sounds in

particular light up the auditory cortex in both species. This commonality speaks to the uniquely strong communication system underlying the dog-human bond.

In short: Dogs don't just seem to pick up on our subtle mood changes — they are actually physically wired to pick up on them."

You are pack leader. You are anxious. The dog knows you are anxious. Fight, or flight response.

The dog probably thinks you sense danger, and is responding likewise.

http://mic.com/articles/104474/brain-scans-reveal-what-dogs-really-think-of-us

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Gluten or additives in food? Dogs can have celiac, too. And many additives can cause anxiety.

Too much glutamate in food can cause anxiety as well.

Of course, tick borne infections can also trigger anxiety but, even if so, other things can play a part as well.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymeonade2015- What an insightful and amazing response you gave me. I am now interested in researching the facts you brought up. I can honestly see how the changes in weather would affect me in this way. I have always been very sensitive to the seasonal changes. I am constantly fighting my feelings of "it doesn't matter" versus the "we can take this on" thinking. I try too hard to overrule my negative, fearful thoughts but still find myself just overly fearful.

I do understand that I need to override this and as you mentioned "embrace the fear." That is excellent advice and I greatly appreciate your response!! Aside from environmental issues and toxins and such, if I can conquer this I would be feeling really good. The mental stuff can be rough. Thank you!!

--------------------

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

KEIKKO-Glad to know I am not the only one. It's the lingering feeling I have from all of this and was one of the first symptoms I had as well. I hope you find an answer.

SACREDHEART AND KEEBLER- Thanks for your replies. Nothing has changed in the dog's environment that I am aware of. I do wonder if the heat and humidity could be playing a part in the allergens/mold in our home this time of year. July and August are not good around here for me or one of my pups. The other dogs and my husband are unaffected. Thanks for the article on the dogs SACREDHEART. I am thinking of taking some time away from my house to see if I feel differently.

--------------------

Jamers
Member # 28016

Well, I may have found a lead on this problem. I have been having issues and isolated incidents where my heart races, I feel very hot and my ears are stuffy. This just started happening come August and this is also the time of year when my Lyme symptoms originally appeared. I have been thinking for a long time that it was related to mold exposure and it quite possibly could be.

However, when this first started I got tested for allergies and was rated high on Dust and Dog dander. I don't react to either of these ever. However, I felt weird again today and I looked at the Dust and Dander counts in North Carolina. It turns out, that they are very high!! They were also high the day that I had a near panic attack at a grocery store standing under an air conditioning vent. Now, I am seriously considering my environment and the humidity here in N.C. to be affecting my quality of life.

I also wouldn't be surprised that mold is bad as well considering the humidity. I just wanted to post this so others could be aware in case they are reacting as well. I recently was introduced to Essential Oils and am considering taking a blend of Lavender, Peppermint and Lemon for allergy relief.

--------------------

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
excessive fear and imagining things like that is anxiety. I had my DNA done and I make no gaba. but if I try and take GABA it makes it worse, so I am now in treatment with a gene person and gettin gbetter, but I do think that lately I do feel a bit more of activity in my anxiety area...

I used to go for a walk and see a helcopter and imagine a body would fall out of it and land in front of me- things like that. terrible way to live. mine got so bad I could not function minute to minute.

abx helped a lot. like after 6 months it got much better and now after 18 months of all kinds of tx it is sometimes gone all away, but like you, lately I do notice some wierd things. maybe it is the moon like someone said .

my dog gets funny too. sometimes she looks back when we walk and looks scared and that freaks me out, haha. she is 60 pounds with a killer jaw and could kill on the spot if she wanted and she ascts like a big baby sometimes.

I think dogs can see way more than we can. spirits and such.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3458 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, your dog could have bartonella or something, right??

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3458 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RainbowHope
Member # 42858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RainbowHope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had intense anxiety until I started treating Bartonella.

I also use essential oil anti-anxiety blends that have helped to take the anxiety down on herx days.

Posts: 27 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

rainbow, do you ingest the oil? or use topically? and which oils? thanks

--------------------

RainbowHope
Member # 42858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RainbowHope   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, LisaK ~

I use the anti-anxiety oils topically and through a diffuser. It is a proprietary blend through one of the big oil companies.

I am not sure about posting rules on things like this, so if you are interested in knowing more, feel free to send me a private message. :-)

Posts: 27 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

LISAK- Thanks for your response. I can see how low GABA would cause those symptoms. I wouldn't be surprised if that is my problem as well. When at my sickest, I had terrible thoughts like you had. It's strange how it just got worse again for me though. My poor pup goes through this each year. I suppose he could have Bart or something but other than his anxiety, he is extremely healthy.

RainbowHope - Sending you a pm.

--------------------

RainbowHope
Member # 42858

Jamers, just responded to your PM. :-)
LisaK
Member # 41384

yes, my dog one day is so 'normal' and the next is a scared cat! - no offense meant to cats.

but this is just like us, rigth? one day so good, another like poopoo.

like me- yesterday all nausea all day, and now today all anxiety. ho hum.

life goes on .

--------------------

lymeonade2015
Member # 45611

How are you feeling now that its September?
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
KarlaL posted this excellent article.

http://www.townsendletter.com/July2015/bartonellosis0715.html

Unraveling the Mystery of Bartonellosis

by Scott Forsgren - Townsend Letter - July 2015
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP & ADRENAL SUPPORT
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You say that you "have excessive fear about things that didn't used to bother me, like flying or walking my dogs . . . ." (end quote)

Might it be that some kind of balance or inner ear issue is contributing to this?

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031346;p=0

Topic: Agoraphobia / Anxiety from Lyme?

Adrenal, nervous system, vestibular (inner workings of the ear / balance), and cardiac involvement discussed.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say Bart .. and/or what Sacred said about the dogs picking up on your anxiety.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95325 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement