LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Himalayan Pink Salt Warning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Himalayan Pink Salt Warning
Judie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you who use Pink Salt. Lead and mercury has been found in it.

http://www.hormonesmatter.com/himalayan-salt-lead-poisoning-global-scale/

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The safest salt is pure pickling salt with no additives, not even iodine. We have no way of knowing what's in that stuff.
Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
project
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for project     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 parts per billion of lead in something you consume 3 liters a day of is a completely different matter than in something you consume 1 pinch of. It's a totally different level of exposure.

Also it bothers me that she states:

"What is extremely relevant though is that lead is heavy metal and heavy metals in your body remain for life. There is absolutely nothing we can do to remove lead from the body with our current medical acumen."

"Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead, and Mercury in Sweat: A Systematic Review"
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jeph/2012/184745/

"The role of modified citrus pectin as an effective chelator of lead in children hospitalized with toxic lead levels."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18616067

Sometimes it's best to take these bloggers with a grain of, well salt.

Posts: 131 | From CO | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hormones Matter has included a lot of important health information over the years.

They were publishing information on levaquin well ahead of FDA acknowledgement of the problem. Now there's a RICO lawsuit against Johnson and Johnson.

It's not just a random blog.

That being said, the comments section is very interesting under the salt article and addresses the math question.

As far as this article which is listed under alternative health: The role of modified citrus pectin as an effective chelator of lead in children hospitalized with toxic lead levels"

Right next to it is this article:

Very low lead exposures and children's neurodevelopment

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18332714

"SUMMARY:
No level of lead exposure appears to be 'safe' and even the current 'low' levels of exposure in children are associated with neurodevelopmental deficits. Primary prevention of exposure provides the best hope of mitigating the impact of this preventable disease."

The other article says the answer is sweating to detoxify. It's not a study, but a proposal for a study.

Not all of us can do exercise or tolerate sauna.

In fact sweating was the worst thing for some of my health conditions.

Posts: 2839 | From California | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judie
Member # 38323

quote:
Originally posted by Jordana:
The safest salt is pure pickling salt with no additives, not even iodine. We have no way of knowing what's in that stuff.

Exactly. Here's a quote from the author in the comments section:

"All colors of Himalayan salts do because they are fossilized salts. That means they were “fresh salts” before the Himalayan lifted from under the sea millions of years ago and as it lifted, the metals leeched through and under the weight and pressure from the mountain it heated up. This formed the concern because all Himalayan salt now are fossilized, radioactive, and have lead and mercury in them."

project
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for project     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah reading the comments on the article it seems that a couple other people have stated the same thing, only actually having done the math which I was too lazy to do last night. This one probably sums it up:

"I think it is wrong to try and say that Himalayan salt is dangerous to human health when 15-30 times more lead is consumed in drinking water at a level considered safe and acceptable. "

That article about sweating out heavy metals is actually a meta-study rather than a proposal.

The salt mine that produces Himalayan salt is the oldest in the world apparently and was discovered by Alexander the Great, so we've got 2000+ years of humans consuming this stuff.

Heavy metals are found in earth's crust so humans have been naturally exposed to them throughout history. I think elevated exposure due to modern industrial uses are what we really need to be focusing on reducing. Ie: lead from water pipes, from paint, from living in places that leaded gasoline has contaminated.

Posts: 131 | From CO | Registered: Jul 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If not Himalayan salt, which salt to take that has no contamination?

Rocky mountain salt now probably have some radioactive iodine from fukushima, while all rock salt from europe have probably of Tchernobyl!

Alternative could be sea salt? From which sea?

If anything we consume come from this planet, we take the choice of the least bad.

Just the plastics our salt is packed in has so many toxins, hormone disrupters, that I wonder who is able to count and measure.

Probably the pot you cook the food and the oils you use (if in cans or plastic) will have much more to worry, than salt... Add any meat to it, even organic, I wonder how much garbage we are not already ingesting....

Dr. K once brought a mercury device: a device to measure mercury in the air. He gave the measurement at the beginning of the lecture, and at the end. The value went so high up after a couple of hours, in a closed place.

People breathe mercury out, and we inhale them in. Or we breathe mercury out and other inhale our mercury!! Shall we stay home and avoid crowds forever?

Our choice is simply: attention to detox forever.

Posts: 6196 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
project, if you knew for absolutely sure that the Himalayan salt you were buying was 100 percent verified to come from this pristine place in the earth's crust, then I would think eating it was a reasonable decision.

Thing is, the stuff you get from the grocery store in the fancy shaker bottle could just be rock salt from Minnesota with red dye #2 in it.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the REAL SALT and the Selina Celtic Grey Salt.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95978 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mee too lymetoo. those are good ones

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3545 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanceLynn
Member # 47321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanceLynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a serious topic, worth noting ... I was a professional sign maker back in the day when the

'gold standard' of sign paints was a brand called "One Shot" ... lead made it cover in 'one shot'.

I have been detoxing cyclically ever since!

Sad new about Himalayan Salt - lately I have wondered if some suppliers out there are just dyeing white salt pink.

Yeah, the Celtic Grey Salt is my choice for salt flushes! I have seen it sold at livestock stores, at a significantly lower price.

Friends who used it said it was every bit as good as the high price little bags in those large natural foods markets.

I'll betcha American Pharoah ran on Celtic Sea Salt! :-)

One last thing, just for grins ... for a Fair Trade, pure product, here are the guys to get Himalayan salt from: http://documentaryheaven.com/the-saltmen-of-tibet/

Posts: 59 | From US | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
project
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46200

This is the stuff I've been eating in all it's tasty leaded goodness: http://shop.thespicelab.com/index.php/salt-library/himalayan-salts/himalayan-crystal-bath-salt-x-fine-2-5mm-fast-dissolving.html

Seems legit.

The Flint water crisis is sad, but I feel it's just so typical of the mainstream media. Where is the outcry over the massively polluted world that has bequeathed us all a body burden of chemicals?

http://www.ewg.org/research/body-burden-pollution-newborns

People seem to be incapable of recognizing these slow motion global tragedies and just panic over these particular local incidents.

LymeNotLymes
Member # 45544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeNotLymes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Judie....

I also like Real Salt. According to their website,
"Real Salt® brand sea salt comes from an ancient sea bed in Central Utah"

--------------------
CDC positive for: Lyme & Babesia duncani
Clinical diagnosis of: Bartonella

Posts: 90 | From Rocky Mountains | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use both the himalayan and sonoma sea salts. There are many choices, I like getting some of both of those.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and where is the outcry over our FLUORIDATED water?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95978 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point Lymetoo. Fluoridated water, pesticides, the list goes on. I don't think most americans realize that Non GMO food has round up in it (round up the pesticide). That is why monsanto fights so hard to stop GMO free. Other countries are smart enough to ban it.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right lymetoo! NO FLOURIDE!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3545 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement