LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Did anyone get better after IVIg?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did anyone get better after IVIg?
cottonbrain
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, friends.

Did IVIg help you to get over Lyme and co's? If so/not, how long did you do it?

After nine years of Lyme treatment, I still have many disabling symptoms. Twelve weeks ago I started IVIg (I have Primary Immune Defciency) and I do feel slightly stronger physically and have slightly more stamina.

But so far, the Ig has been of little help with my mental fatigue, fevers, or cognitive issues.

Can you tell me if IVIg helped you overcome Lyme?

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/133529

Cottonbrain, I asked the same question and here is an old thread of responses I got.

From what I understand it really helps with neuropathy and nerve/autoimmune conditions...

I hope this helps and I hope it helps you!! Blessing and prayers..

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh oops... sorry, you are on this thread!! Lymebrain!!
Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cottonbrain:

Our daughter did 20 months of IVIG (2 days hooked up to the IV for 8 hours at a fusion center every 4 to 5 weeks). We believe it helped with tic's, OCD, and a few non lyme medical issues.

While Bartonella improved we don't think she is over it yet. Lyme and Babs still there.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The purpose of IVIG is to help replace your missing / very low IgG antibodies since you said that you have a Primary Immune Deficiency.

It does not work to replace other missing antibodies or help with any other portions of the immune system that are malfunctioning.

For people with primary immune deficiencies (I have CVID, low + malfunctioning NK cells, on and on...) is that the treatments with IVIG will prevent the frequency of life threatening infections.

Without IVIG, if you got an infection, it would be nearly impossible to fight it on your own even with the help of powerful IV antibiotics. The IVIG (along with your powerful antibiotics...) helps your body to actually have a fighting chance!

For us, simple infections are actually complicated and often life threatening. When others can watch and wait to see if symptoms pass, we cannot. We need to start treatment as early as possible. We often need higher doses and much longer treatments to get rid of the infections.

Unfortunately, there is much misunderstanding on this board about what IVIG can and cannot do.

IVIG is NOT to be thought of as a treatment for the Lyme infection. It is NOT like an antibiotic. It does NOT kill Lyme.

After you have been on IVIG for a few months, you will begin to notice the difference, how it has made you gradually feel better.

For me, I stopped getting constant infections that were making me bed bound when compounded with Lyme and Co's. The other major differences that I noticed were that I had less fatigue and less fluey feeling.

If by chance you have to miss your IVIG for a significant amount of time (for me, all it took was a week) then your symptoms and frequent infections will come raging back!!!

The dose of IVIG for Primary Immune Deficiency and Neurological disorders are different. The Neuro dose is generally much higher than the starting dose for those with PI.

With PI, the dose and frequency can be increased until you find the right ones. Example: I need double the recommended dose for my weight. Also, I need the infusions every other week rather every 4 weeks.

Generally, it takes 3 months for IVIG levels to stabilize in the body with consistent treatments. If you are not noticing any positive changes at this time, ask your doc to check your IG trough level. If the trough is low, they will likely raise your dose a bit and recheck to make sure that the level is right 3months later.

Sorry cottonbrain, this got to be much longer than I intended. I hope though that it helps you to understand better what to expect from your IVIG treatments. Your IVIG supports the body to help it better able to fight Lyme with your powerful antibiotics!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, sammy, for chiming in here.

I would also add that many of us with Lyme, etc. have Small Fiber Peripheral Neuropathy without knowing it. If a neurologist does a punch skin biopsy to test for it, it may show markedly fewer nerve

fibers, showing that we have this. If so, you may qualify for IVIG a the higher dose, and often higher frequency, in the protocol for this to repair the nervous system damage and prevent further

nervous system damage. It's not a magic bullet, and it takes time. You need treatment for the infections, etc., too, of course.
But it can help. It is a long-term treatment, as it is for late-stage

Lyme & co. There is no quick fix for any of this, sadly (unless someone just got bitten and got right on the right abx). Sadly, that is not most of us. Someday it should be.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to Foxy, T9im, Sammy, and Rumigirl! It's good to hear how long it took you to notice a change.

T9, very interesting that it helped with tics -- so glad it helped!
I have not noticed a difference in my peripheral neuropathy after 12-13 weeks.

I noticed that Dr J the pediatrician stated that IVIG helped his refractory lyme patients to beat the lyme infections:

http://lymeconnection.org/news_publications/meet_the_lyme_disease_experts.html/title/straight-talk-with-pediatrician-dr-charles-ray-jones

excerpt:

'Janet: Do you have some patients who don’t get better?

Dr. J: Very few. Some have refractory Lyme disease, you see this with older teenagers who are better on antibiotics, but the spirochete can never be eradicated. Once you define and delimit every single organism that’s involved, one can treat with antibiotics, but that might not reverse the process. If the antibiotics aren't curative, then one can add IV immunoglobulin (IVIG), and this can result in a cure.'

(I'm assuming it's ok to use his name, since the article is public on the web)

Thanks for all your input. Good luck to all.

** edited to remove LLMD's name **

[ 04-08-2016, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement