LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone here get "death attacks" and what do you do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone here get "death attacks" and what do you do?
ohioperson22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohioperson22         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone here get "death attacks," which is a rapid, out-of-nowhere sense of impending death.

It is absolutely different from a faint feeling, or any normal body feeling.

I know one lyme person on his/her blog wrote about it. Didn't know if anyone here has those "death attack" feelings, and what they do about them?

(like, if nobody has them, then that's probably not from a tick-borne illness...)

Posts: 200 | From Ohio | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see what lyme is doing to my body and it is half panic half logical feeling of needing to fight or fly...i try to breath and tell myself how hard i am treating ...

and then i saw my blood under microscopy!. ..now i think this will eventually kill me ..so i ate another holy basil and stung myself with bees.

it may be panic it maybe adrenals it maybe logical as we have microscopic worm like bacteria on our brain .. i dont trust anything i feel, i am no longer a human

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1538 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There have been others to report all that each of you say. And many have gotten much better, some have recovered and live good lives. Really. It is possible.

Along the way, I wonder if might be possible to turn panic into appreciate of one's self for all of this. That helps. Appreciate it's a rough & tumble time and it will be for while yet by holding steady & strong in self, there is a chance of getting better.

Find a good LLMD is key, of course, or however, directly addressing the infections with key support along the way. Adrenal support is vital, for a start. Cognitive therapy may be of help, too, to learn how to best talk to ourselves.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's your endocrine system flipping out.

Your adrenals will spill out a ton of cortisol when they're dysregulated. That means a PANIC ATTACK.You can try SALT, ashwaghanda, holy basil, periactin.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missyrye1956
Member # 47641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missyrye1956     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have them too, some nights right before I fall asleep. I feel like I am sinking into this deep oblivion and my life is slipping away as I am falling asleep. Then I reach deep inside and my brain says wake up, open your eyes you are slipping into your death!

Then my eyes open and I feel like I just saved myself from falling asleep into my death. I don't know what to think of them either, and I am usually scared to sleep after that.

Posts: 36 | From MO | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ohioperson22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ohioperson22         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought maybe my attacks would be from shot adrenals... years of stress, coffee, lyme, etc, and they shut down...

...causing addisonian chrisis, low blood sugar and pressure, etc.

But maybe it is overactivity.

In the past I've gotten these in the middle of sleep, waking me up, causing me to jump out of bed and lean over, let my heart race at 190 for five minutes, to prevent a trip to Dante's Inferno....

...But no really, some of these have brought me to the edge (and whether I actually was, or just felt that way, I don't know).

Posts: 200 | From Ohio | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's adrenaline, hon. Nothing more than that. Ashwaghanda is a good overall balancer but it takes a couple months to work. Salted fruit might help( salt and sugar together) in the meantime.

You are not slipping towards your death. It's safe to sleep. In fact it's much safer to sleep than not.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme infection and Babesiosis are known to cause panic attacks and "feelings of impending doom". Both Dr. Sh in PA and Dr. Br in NJ- psych docs- have written about it in articles.

Dr. Sc in FL also attributes it to bartonella infections.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2100128/

All recommend treating the infections.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same thing happen to me when I was really sick and wasn't taking antibiotics OR the Buhner herbs. Once I was taking Minocycline, I was over that feeling.

When I relapsed and got depressed and wasn't taking any Lyme meds, it happened again. That time I brought myself out of it by taking Cat's Claw (crosses the blood brain barrier)

and added some of the other herbs and supplements that are listed in Stephen Buhner's book, Healing Lyme.

Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this info will shed light on it?

https://healingfromthefreeze.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/the-vagus-nerve-and-the-difficulty-with-mindfulness/

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95647 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know but when you get it figured out PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me what it is...

I get this exact thing and it is FRIGHTENING. It feels exactly as Ohioperson22 described. Like you are going somewhere and you WON'T return. Then the heart will beat like a freight train because you are SURE you missed death by a second!!

SOmetimes, I feel like I am slipping slower, other times its BAM right there. The slow one feels like you have to fight to remain on planet earth.

I haven't seen the "light at the end of the tunnel" yet. Nor seen the scars on Jesus hand so I didn't go very far yet!!! [Smile]

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foxy- It is part of a panic attack, brought on in this case by infections.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Tincup, that it brings on panic but I don't feel panicky when it hits. I usually am half asleep and relaxed when it occurs!

Do you still think its nothing but a panic attack?

I will say for the comfort of all others who get this... my EEG and MRI are both clean, so it must not be caused by seizure or lesions.

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get this, but I want to ask a question - does it help at all if you start taking some really long, slow deep breaths, in order to get more oxygen in?
Posts: 13065 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was ill, it happened whenever my body tried to fall into a sleep. It was very different from my constant panic.

It was like passing into non-existence; nothingness. I felt I would be trapped there...alive but dead. Then I would be jolted back.

My neurologist friend suggested it was due to irregular brain wave activity when trying to enter sleep/relaxation phases, due to the neurological effects of the infection/toxic encephalopathy.

Foxy Loxy...did you have this experience while you were having your EEG done?

Posts: 1726 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Foxy said.. "I haven't seen the "light at the end of the tunnel" yet. Nor seen the scars on Jesus hand so I didn't go very far yet!!!"

HA! Have you considered you are not suppose to head in that direction? Laugh now, please.

Phoiph's explanation sounds very reasonable. I didn't realize it only happened at night when falling asleep. I've also had that feeling in the past.

It does feel like you are going down a deep dark hole then suddenly you are being jerked back to life again.

Just looked it up. Here are some quotes from what I read.

"Falling/Twitching -

You may also find that you experience anxiety as a result of weird sensations you get while trying to fall asleep.

Those with stress, for example, are more prone to this feeling as though their body is jolting them awake right before they're about to fall asleep.

Scientists are not clear what causes this, but know for a fact it's harmless. T

he belief is that your body thinks you're about to die, so it wakes you up.

But since there's no danger, you get anxious from that feeling, thus increasing your nighttime anxiety and making it harder to fall asleep in the future."

"These symptoms can be alarming because they mimic some of the symptoms of a heart attack, and may trigger the panicked belief that you are about to die (imagining that you are in physical danger or about to die is common during panic attacks)."

"Panic attacks before sleep aren't as common as panic attacks during the day, but the reality of panic attacks is that they can occur at any time."

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/types/falling-asleep

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Here is a description I thought sounded right on.

"I may be wrong, but it sounds like you are describing something I experience quite regularly. I am very nearly asleep but all of a sudden my whole body jerks and I am awake again!

It feels exactly like I have misjudged the number of steps whilst walking down some stairs and, thinking you are on ground level you step off the last step."

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

ohioperson22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47837

Oh, that lower-abdominal jolt that wakes you back up I got a couple months ago when I would sleep upright.

I used to get that in college when I would fall asleep upright in class. I read that is an inborn reaction developed through evolution so we wouldn't fall asleep if sitting in a tree (we would fall off the tree if we did).

For that reason, I took the risers off the back of my bed. Was doing the risers for both GERD and POTS, as sleeping with head elevated increases aldosterone and sodium retention.

Lately, though, I've also woken up in the morning with the death attacks, this time centered in the head. Sometimes the head feels like it is getting suffocated, constricted, or hat the blood/fluid has turned into thick molasses.

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Tincup, when I first became ill, I repeatedly jolted awake with a jerk, every night. It was annoying and kept me from being able to fall asleep for a while.

In time with treatment, this got better, and I don't get it much anymore. I think even people who aren't sick get this.

This is experience is waaaaaaaaaaaaay different. (that enough ways?)

This feels truly like you are dying. Phoiph mentioned still feeling alive but stuck. Mine feels like I simply won't be alive at all. Incredibly weird and AWFUL feeling.

Robin123, getting up and awake always helps, and I am sure deep regular breathing helps the high adrenaline surge one gets after such an attack. Plus, I oxygen dive before bedtime, I should have enough I would think.

Phoiph, I didn't have an attack while doing the EEG, but I am pretty sure this was happening before I got it done. Did you get an EEG when this happened to you? What did yours say?

Tincup, I laughed at your statement that it might not be time for me to die.

If it is, I have a lot of peace about it because I do love that man with the nail scarred hands... and I am excited about Him wiping away my tears..

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foxy loxy...

It is very possible that the brain wave abnormalities only show up during an "event", and so was not picked up by your EEG.

I didn't have an EEG done...I was homebound at the time.

(Although not related to these episodes, It might also be worth doing your mHBOT dives earlier in the day, as for some people it can be energizing at night.)

Posts: 1726 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

I don't know if a brain abnormality is the same thing as a seizure, but I do recall my neurologist saying an EEG picks up if you have ever had seizures.

I don't know how it does that... but I agree! I thought about the same thing before.

No worries about mHbOT energizing me dearest Phoiph. I am so sleepy most of the time I could fall asleep and remain quite stable...in a tree!! [Wink] I must defy evolution...(TG)

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
foxy lady,

phoiph is correct: "brain wave abnormalities only show up during an "event", and so was not picked up by your EEG" (end quote)

you say " recall my neurologist saying an EEG picks up if you have ever had seizures. " (end quote)

He was wrong. That is not true at all. The EEG will only indicate seizures happening at the exact same time as the test is being done.

And an EEG can miss seizures that may be in parts of the brain where the electrodes are not placed to detect, especially deep in the brain.

A QEEG can be better at detected seizure activity, I found. Many EEGs, for me, showed seizure activity but the neurologist just did not believe anyone could be that sensitive to sounds or vibration (my triggers) and said the machines much have been malfunctioning or "artifact" "noise" on the test.

The number of neurologists I've seen over the decades that just did not even want to believe my seizures were real - even when they saw them - was just mind blowing.

I'd be out in public and have one (many times) and, many times, someone like a nurse or other medical person would just happen to walk up to me afterward and ask something like "how long have you been having grand mal seizures?"

It was apparent to strangers (though some had medical training) but the neurologists were always so ready to dismiss me before I even said "hello".

After falling so often and no doctor to help me figure out why, I got myself a cane. Then, the doctor in my next office appointment wrote in my file "well, she's taken to using a cane - on her own." as if I was using it for a prop.

If you want good guidance, I suggest avoiding neurologists and rheumatologist and consult an ILADS educated lyme literate LLMD. Most are very familiar with brain issues, muscle issues and if you need further consult, they would be more likely to know who in town to suggest.

But since most of these symptoms in someone with lyme are due to lyme / TBD, it the infection that must be faced to find success.

Neurologists are not interested in that, not at all.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
foxy lady,

you also wonder: "a brain abnormality is the same thing as a seizure . . . "

no, it's not. There can be many different kinds of brain abnormalities.

However, abnormal brain waves can be on the seizure spectrum. And very much lyme related. Again, LLMDs are best to consult.

MAGNESIUM is also the best start to minimizing overactive brain waves. So many times, it points to magnesium deficiency or intake of things that are too stimulating in nature.

Lack of sleep - another HUGE factor in brain wave abnormality. Huge.

Very often, sleep meds can make matters so much worse, though, as they can cause slow brain waves the next day but the brain tries so hard to wake up that it can have spikes (and that can be in the range of seizure activity).
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119810;p=0

Topic: Best way to control limbic seizures / overactivity?

Actually, [other than, say, from a brain injury and damage to tissue or scar tissue, etc.]

this link set is for anyone who has lyme and deals with hyper-stimulation of the nervous system. It's all in the same neighborhood, just a matter of degree. And there are many factors - and many things we can do to find balance. Detail in this set.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The feeling of a "death attack" sounds very much like adrenal crisis, and that can be fatal. When someone is in adrenal crisis, if they don't lie down in a quiet dark room and get very still, their body will have a very hard time surviving.

I've experienced this a lot. I wish I had the article where I read about this in a nursing journal, decades ago, but I've not been able to find it on line.

Even talking to someone takes too much effort and can put the adrenal system in shock. Seriously.

While the scared part of all this makes us want to run from it, so often, we are getting the signal that we just need to stop and rest. That it has reached a very serious emergency phase.

Rest does help. Adrenal support, too - in addition to direct treatment of infections. In that links set above, more tools.
-

droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to. I think it's bart. I can definitely relate to the heart pounding at 190 out of the blue. It goes away. It's tick borne. It's why there's such a high rate of ER visits for this illness. Inflammation also causes u to feel it. It's like there's no doubt you're about to die any second. It goes away. I don't miss it.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Thanks for the encouragement droid1226, sorry you had to go through all that!

Keebler, thanks for all that info. The interesting thing you mentioned was that sound and stimulation can be caused by overactive brain waves.

I would venture a guess, that is what my problem. I am sound sensitive, mostly in the morning when I just woke up. ANY sound causes my head to feel... nervy and strange.

I have never had anyone say I do anything epileptic, and I am around ppl all the time.

If I am having seizures they only last for a second and feel more like a glitch of some sort.

This is different then the death attacks. I get "glitches" so often, I am almost used to them. Death attacks only happen every so many months.

I do get a feeling more often to that I am losing my mind. This happens only when I am going to sleep like the death attacks.

It HAS to have something to do with brain waves. Why else would this happen when going to sleep? It even happens when I nap!!

I am getting excited. I bet we are on to something!!!!!!!!

My doc recently put me on Lamotrigine which is for seizures. I am not up to full dose yet, but so far I can't tell much difference. I think it is supposed to slow brain waves.

THe weird part is Metronidazole took all this away for a few months. Came back and now for years I can't get much improvement.

MHbot has been the only thing that has helped just a bit. Something is more tolerable anyway.
So grateful for Phoiph who has helped me in this.

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

BTW, Keebler so sorry, your neurologist experiences were so bad. I only ever saw one and he was kind.

He wanted to put me on an antidepressant though!
[Frown]

Although, I have wondered before if maybe an antidepressant would help? SSRI's do have chemical balancing properties that can help you physically???????

Any advice on this? My lyme doc actually thought about throwing me on one even though I am not depressed... (THANK GOD)

Phoiph
Member # 41238

My vote is "no" on the SSRI...

They mess with your brain chemistry in a big way, and can be hell to get off of...plus, you are not depressed.

All of these issues completely resolved for me over time with mHBOT, but if you remember, I was unable to take meds for 5 years prior to starting it. The meds someone is on can have an impact on mHBOT progress and should be taken into account when planning the protocol/treatment plan.

Foxy...maybe we should talk via phone again go over your situation as related to mHBOT?

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Phoiph, of course I would be willing to talk... any input is welcomed. You are so kind to give of your time!

Thanks for the advice on the SSRI. I have always felt this way about them too. I am worried they will MAKE me depressed. [Frown]

btw, Phoiph the only meds I am on is LDN and cortisol with recently adding in Lamotrigine the seizure drug. I have been of abx for a few months and don't notice much difference.

I really believe the mHBOT has kept me from getting worse so far.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
foxy lady,

most seizure drugs are depressant in nature. However, adding an SSRI could boomerang in a very harsh way. Even without other brain chemical altering drugs on board as with the seizure drug, SSRI can really mess with brain chemistry of those with health challenges in ways you don't see in the happy commercials.

SSRIs can lower the seizure threshold, too, so you could be having more instances of seizure activity.

[editing after re-reading your posts:

you've not been diagnosed with a seizure disorder. I'm not sure such a strong drug was prescribed for you but that, itself, could be causing some of the symptoms.

for the seizure drug you just started for some reason other than it's intended use: (Wiki reports)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamotrigine

Excerpts:

. . . black box warning . . . never suddenly stop this drug . . . .

. . . "Commonly reported side effects of lamotrigine include: drowsiness, tremor, blurred vision, skin rash, nausea, ataxia, vomiting, diplopia, insomnia, rhinitis, dizziness, headache, abdominal pain, and fever. . . ." [end excerpts]

- that drowsiness can turn to depression for many and any dizziness can, too - especially for someone with lyme.

So, be sure to read up on all the ways this can affect you. and, you say you are not treating lyme now with Rx, but with mHBOT . . . still, be sure a LL doctor assess ALL meds for how they can affect you. Other doctors will not have the knowledge on this matter.

What is your dose and type of MAGNESIUM? That should be addressed first, really. See the seizure thread above for more detail.

There are other ways to address mood issues, especially as many seizure drugs are stress to liver / kidneys (and that can cause depression) be sure your liver / kidney support is in tip top form. Still, as you've not been diagnosed with a seizure disorder, please reassess this use.

LDN can have some side effects, too. Some do great with it, while some seem to have a terrible time.

assess all Rx you take as to how they might be contributing to symptoms. If you feel better with each, great. But it just sounds like something is out of balance for you to say you are feeling so severe.

cortisol ? Hmmm. Hope you mean a physiological replacement dose and not higher.

Be sure your LLMD is aware of this, too.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=119975;p=0

Cortef ?

Discussing the very low, safe Physiological replacement dose range of hydrocortisone for some with adrenal dysfunction.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/100984?#000000

Topic: what do STEROIDS actually do to those with lyme? Risks, long term damage discussed. Links.
-

[ 05-06-2016, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Thanks Keebler, for all that! :)You are so kind to say all that!

That is a good idea to assess all medication. And I have. I went off EVERYTHING for a few months without much change.

I added back in LDN, because I hope it will keep me from getting worse.

The cortisol is only 5 mg which is almost nothing. I was warned about taking too high a dose. I can't tell any difference.

The Lamotrigine was prescribed as a type of "brain detox." a brain stabilizer I think my dr. said which makes sense as it is used for bi-polar.

I am terrified of SSRI's as I hear terrible experiences on them. I was very hesitant to take Lamotrigine, but it doesn't sound so mood changing as an SSRI, and it is an extremely low dose.

If it doesn't help, of course I won't stay on it. I was hoping it would help my "spells" and "head spazzes."

My Magnesium is Remag. Which I thought a good brand. My mom gave me magnesium bisglycinate one night before I went to bed and It totally relaxed me.

I have been getting these "spells" for five years now. This is nothing new or med induced.

The first time it happened I went to my room and cried and cried. I was sure I was going bonkers and didn't even tell anyone for a few weeks.

It feels so wrong, I still worry about it! [Frown]

droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foxy, have you ever taken a benzodiazepine for an extended period of time?

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

no droid1226, I haven't.

I have had dr's tell me to take it when I felt anxious, but my anxiety (if that is even what it is) comes in short burst, I don't feel like its worth doping me up on and getting addicted to it! [Frown]

When I would get feelings like I could "spazz" or "Seizure, and the head sensations get out of hand... I would take it just so I could endure it better, but it never helped with symptoms.

SickSci
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43849

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SickSci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone on here benefitted from benzo's, antidepressents or mood stabilizers in addition to or in lieu of treaatment?

After being in remission a few months, I've had some bad neuropsych symptoms return and cannot really afford full blown treatment again, just have been keeping up with some basic supplements.

I'm considering giving mainstream psych tx / meds a try even though I've been so opposed to them for so long. I'm just so discouraged that bipolar-like symptoms and massive anxiety have returned after top notch treatment... in rtrospect some of it seemed to be returning even while i was still on abx treatment for bart but halting ivermectin for protozoa several months ago.

Thoughts?

--------------------
-------------
- Working Dx: Protozoa x3, Bartonella
- Tx: Biaxin, Mycobutin, Ivermectin, boluoke, serapeptase, allimed, silver ACS 200 spray, Mg, Iodoral, fish oil, Vit's B, C, D, NAC, etc

Posts: 121 | From Nc | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

not all psych meds are cheap. There are meds out there that can help bi-polar that are not SSRI's like lamotrigine.

but If Lyme treatment helps you, I would continue working at the cause not fling a bandaid, because chances are you will develop other problems.

If lyme treatment isn't helping, and these are your only symptoms, I would give it a shot.

I know of someone with lyme who had depression, and a year of Lexapro fixed her right up. She was able to go off it and has had no problems.

I personally, would say away from benzo's if at all possible. My dad is currently addicted to them and is trying to go off them and is struggling BIG time. Ativan is one of the most addictive drugs out there and can cause memory problems long term.

klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: benzos
I
have major problems trying to reduce my Xanax dose by even 1/4 pill per day out of 4 pills total

I was put on them 30 yrs. ago at the start of my illness, because I could not walk due to muscle spasms (yes, before someone asks, I take a LOT of Mg, in two forms) and the only other drug available back then made me so weak I could not even stand up at the lowest dose (Flexeril).

I now need them to stop anxiety, which I also believe they are causing! A missed dose can even cause a PSVT heart rhythm attack to start if I am more than half an hour late in taking it.

I have also found they increase my appetite, which I do not need.

I have ZERO short term memory and am starting to lose long term memory as well. I can no longer spell vowels for some reason, speak while doing anything else at the same time like walking, or pronounce long words correctly. I saw a SPECT scan os someone on benzos on Dr. Amen's PBS special. It had slowed the brain by 92%!

It is like having AZD and knowing you have it. How much of this is Lyme and how much is benzos, I do not know, but I would not touch them if I had it to do over. I would go straight to an alternative practitioner. Recent research has proven benzos can cause AZD.

I've tried 4 times to get off them very slowly over many months. It was pure torture. The first 3 times, I lasted only 3 days, since muscle spasms came back and threw me off my feet again. The 4th time I could walk w/o them, but after 11 days of intensely increased muscle pain and almost no sleep, I went back on them. I simply had to sleep.

I have had to increase my dose twice in 30 years. I started on .25 mgs. 3 x day, and am now on .5 mgs. 4 x day, divided into tiny pieces, so I don't go into withdrawal, since they do not last 8 hours, but more like 5-6.

klutzo

Posts: 1267 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

klutzo, this sounds like my dad, except he is addicted to lorazepam. His Dr. tried to take him off just half a pill and he went into some scary stuff. Deep depression chills, not sleeping... hot and cold etc.

He has Parkinson's and his memory is terrible too. Not sure if it is Parkinson's or the Lorazepam but I am quite scared of this kind of medicine long term.

I am so sorry you are experiencing this!!

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow thanks for the input about the benzos ...that death feeling is awful ...passion flower and holy basil here i come

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1538 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds to me like excess of toxins... But I may be wrong.

When I was loaded with toxins, all sorts of symptoms showed up, specially neuro, anxiety, strange heart symptoms, insomnia, you name it.

I know in my case, 98% of the cases of such attacks were solved with massive doses of binders. REally, like day and night. I took those binders (LOADS, really), MSM, chlorella, bear garlic, charcoal, whatever tested energetically, in the amount they tested, and in about 15 minutes, my symptoms started fading.

30 minutes later, I had NOTHING. That proved to me I was simply ill from toxins.

It happened so many times, really, hundreds of times, that I know how much toxins can make me sick.

Very sick, specially with neuro symptoms, such as paralysis, headaches, night and DAY terror attacks, stop my ability to breathe, to take in oxygen, stop my ability to digest...

The only proof that these were ALL 100% caused by toxins was that ALL those symptoms disappeared about 15-40 minutes AFTER taking massive doses of binders.

I could FEEL them disappearing, like a veil being lifted.

Since I discovered that, during lyme treatment, I never ever left my binders at home. I carried them all over and my life WITH lyme seemed bearable.

I no longer have lyme, but I still take binders off and on. Not every day, but every week, at least once or twice. They still make me feel good, like my eyes feel stronger, my mind clearer, my energy improves, I get calmer.

During lyme, in my case, binders made the WHOLE difference of feeling miserable or being able to have a life that looked next to normal.

Since I learned how to tune my binders (it took some time), life went almost as though I was not ill anymore. It was even okay to have lyme, to tell the truth, as long as I could feel 'normal' most hours of the day.

I took binders about 5-6 times a day, for YEARS, while lyme treatment lasted. Sometimes less, but during the time I was on killers, I needed those binders so often.

Posts: 6196 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get those feelings. Cat's Claw fixed it though. Cat's Claw crosses the blood/brain barrier and kills the bugs in the brain which is where the psychological problems connected with Lyme come from. To be on the safe side, I also take Artemisinin (which also crosses the blood/brain barrier).
Posts: 653 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
klotzo, I am so sorry for what you are going through - do you think a truly great herbalist may help you? to stabilize and help the body get off that stuff?

not sure, just trying to think what I would do next

I really hope you can get better and soon!

thanks for sharing so we have another data point on those drugs

foxy lady - I hope your dad can get better, too

so sorry to hear this is happening to him

I have been offered SSRI and even anti-seizure drugs many times but always felt like I was messed up enough already and not confident enough about the effect this may have on my already struggling system

so, no for me - my personal decision / gut feeling

the you tube video posted by Robin can provide a little more science behind the brain chemistry altering drugs even though it is mostly over my head (pun intended)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W14kkO61Ano

it talks about why some drug may help one person but may cause suicide in another

Since I never felt like the docs did any tests or made any effort to understand what is going on before prescribing, I did not feel comfortable to take the drugs and I think I was right

I have the "death feelings" too - two flavors:

one is seizure like and more likely to occur when I lie down at night - I think that one is from Bartonella (even though I have Lyme and Babs, too) - it did go away with treatment (abx and herbs)

the other is after I take killing drugs - maybe an hour later - OMG! sometimes I feel like I got a 1000 lb weight coming down on me and I got to lie down **right now**

I've had to lie down under my desk at work, hoping nobody would see me

then I lie there and cannot move a finger - not talk, not watch TV or listen to radio - just be still

it feels like an emergency - like I would die if I tried to resist and not do exactly as my body says now

it does feel like a chemical rush of sorts - liver? adrenals? brain? I have no idea

Brussels,

Thanks so much for sharing your great success and findings again to help everyone!

Please let me know how you take the Chlorella - just a spoon full in water?

I need to do this and I have some at home, but I a not sure how, how often, etc.

I guess I will try a spoon in water every 4 hours if I don't hear back from you

Thanks for all the good info you already gave me!

--------------------
Persistence, persistence, persistence!!!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence...
Persistence and determination are omnipotent."
attributed to Calvin Coolidge

Posts: 596 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

klutzo...

I know a neuro-pharmacologist/chemist/functional medicine specialist who became alternative because he saw what pharmaceuticals were doing to people.

He helps people get off of prescription meds through natural means when appropriate.

You could inquire about a phone/video consultation with him. If interested, PM me and I will share his contact information.

Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the dying feeling as well. It is terrifying. It is really hard to describe but like foxy said it is definitely different then a panic attack or the jerking awake that people get. I have had panic attacks and also the jerking awake and the dying feeling is definitely something much different.

It is just this overwhelming feeling that I am about to die and like my body is about to completely shut down and give out on me. I don't know if I am explaining it well since it is so hard to put into words. Your heart does race a million miles a minutes as well. Part of that might be panic but that is only because of how terrifying the whole thing is.

Like others have said it is usually when falling asleep. Most of the time for me it happens within an hour of falling asleep but not always...occasionally it is later. I have had it happen during naps as well. There was a while were I could never take naps without it happening. On a few rare occasions I have even had it happen when fully awake not trying to sleep at all.

It usually happens randomly for no reason but it also tends to happen if I overdo things or tax myself too much.

Anyhow...I don't know what causes it but I certainly sympathize with others that have this. It is really awful.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this feeling involves CRAZY heart symptoms like some of you describe, go check your TEETH, root canals, CAVITATIONS.

It's very serious, according to my lyme dr and dr. K too. In case of cavitations, root canals, the problem can literally take your life away!

I lived that once, when lyme was no longer with me. Crazy stuff happened during sleep, like waking up in a startle. No reason, heart racing etc.

The day one of my dead teeth was pulled out (full of bone infections under it), the symptom NEVER returned.

My lyme dr told me: lyme rarely kills, but bad teeth kill very often. Take the bad teeth off, clean the cavitation, he ordered. I did that, and the symptom vanished from the day the tooth was off!!! Never to return (more than a year ago).

Posts: 6196 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Harmony:

I took chlorella any time, any amount.
The more toxic I was, the more I took. Until the symptom stopped.

I usually mixed it with bear garlic tincture (that cleans the urine, while chlorella cleans the stools).

when my amalgams went out, I took handfuls of chlorella, literally.

Chlorella is FOOD, it's not a drug.

If your stomach stands chlorella, you may eat it, any amount really. It's a bit like asking how much yoghurt can you eat, or how much lettuce...

I took it in all forms: in capsules, in pills, in powder. Mixed with water or simply chewed the pills.

Before main meals is more efficient (about 30 min), but as I suffered from herxes and toxins 24h/24hs, I took it every 2-3 hours, every single day.

The times I was killing a lot (due to a new bite or strong infections), I took about 25 pills each time, 6 x a day.

The times I was not killing a lot, I took about 3x day, same amount (about 20 pills each time). It depends how big are the pills.

You can also just take a full teaspoon and dissolve it in water. Then wait 30 minutes. If you feel it helped, but you feel still herxy, just take one more teaspoon. Then check.

You'll get used to guess the amount, once you start to take it regularly.

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can't read all above, but found this post interesting at this time for me since newly dx with pneumonia and for 2 days prior felt like I was going to die soon . at the dr office they told me , as did my nurse friend, that many people with pneumonia have this "symptom". I found that extremely interesting.

I don't remember this feeling ever when at worst in my lyme journey, but maybe I did at times and just forget. but it was a definite DOOM feeling . not anxiety or anything else.

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3499 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

wow Pam08...

Sounds like you have just my problem! So sorry to hear this, but it does feel good to know I am not alone.

Do you also have exploding head syndrome? I get that a lot too. Between, death attacks, feeling like I could seizure or "spazz" and exploding head syndrome... I get scared to go to sleep.

I am thankful I am super sleepy else I might never make it to sleep.

Has any of your symptoms gotten better with treatment? Lamotrigine did help the exploding head syndrome, but I am not sure if it is worth being on such a stout med for a problem that supposedly doesn't hurt you.

DO you have any other head symptoms??

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
foxy lady, I get that exploding head too, and so do others I've talked to. I am pretty sure mine is intracranial pressure, or disease induced encephalitis.

when it comes I want to either die or kill myself. that is how I feel.

When I went to my genetic person they had me watch my glutamate food intake because it can cause this - at least I think that is what I rememebr. but lately I notice some glutamate foods don't make that happen . I get so afraid to eat many things because it seems that when I venture into fun foods, like parties or etc, that it rears it's ugly head the most, but I could be wrong and it

could be from some other thing like an exposure or something. or maybe it is a lack of vitamin or other nutrient or hormones. who knows. when it does hit me I always wish I could run to the MRI machine and get one so that someone can see what the heck is going on in there!!!

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3499 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

wow LisaK I know how you feel! It is scary isn't it? Thanks for the input.

Since Lamotrigine seemed to help this, I imagine it is a excessive glutamate problem, but I feel out of my realm here.

UUUGH!! I wish Wal-Mart sold new heads.

LisaK
Member # 41384

LAMOTRIGINE..... hmmm.... ugh I HATE glutamate! huh, that would make a good chant!

" I HATE GLU TI MATE!!"

haha

--------------------

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

lol LisaK... your funny! [Smile]
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody else has mentioned that some of these "death attacks" might be caused by PSVT, Paroxysmal Supraventricular tachycardia, a heart rhythm of 160 or more that can occur with any kind of stress and feels like death. It can include heart attack symptoms and complete GI emptying, and last for 1 1/2 hours. Mine also include astronomical blood pressures.

Any time panic lasts more than 15 mins. you should suspect something else. Either PSVT, pheochromocytoma, carcinoid syndrome, or OSA, and make sure those are all ruled out.

I had 5 tests for Pheo and 7 tests for Carcinoid before they finally put a cardiac event monitor on me and the very first night I woke up having PSVTs at 2:30 am. and got a diagnosis after 12 years of what I called "the attacks from hell". I also went to a sleep lab and found out I had hypopnea as well, another cause of panic during sleep.

Most people get a radio frequency ablation to fix the PSVT problem, but mine were so severe and so frequent that I cannot be off meds long enough to have the ablation done, so I am on medication (Verapamil ER) to slow my heart rate instead, so it never goes high enough to kill me (hopefully).

I also want to agree with a poster way back in this thread..... like her, I also had complete relief from these attacks and from ALL of my symptoms while on Metronizadole and for about 2 weeks afterwards. That makes me think there is a gut connection here, regarding SIBO or dysbiosis so severe that it interferes with proper production of neurohormones, so I had mine tested. Sure enough, they were all too low to even read the levels! No wonder I can't digest food and am severely depressed.

I am now taking free form amino acid powder to try to raise my serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine, and large amts. of tryptophan before bed and around 6 am on an empty stomach. I also go out and look at the sun first thing each day and do a little exercise. Soaked nuts are a big help, especially cashews, but make sure they are soaked overnight, or your digestion will get much worse, as I found out at first.

Just another angle to consider.....
klutzo

Posts: 1267 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaK
Member # 41384

wow klutzo, I hope mine are not from this! and I hope they never get that frequent either. good info to know- thanks!

I *have* finally put together a connection myself to gut (what I eat) and my anxiety. very interesting that an anxiety attack can come from eating something! for me it seems to be grain related. non gluten grains. it happens within seconds. a terrible dread feeling accompanies it. I am so thankful I have figured this out for myself as I can now control much of my anxiety. I hope.... haha...

--------------------

tulips
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44773

Cat's Claw stops Death Attacks. It takes a week or two to work. (Actually, I think it takes only a week.) At first it seems like it's not doing anything, but, though gentle, it's a powerful healer. I So glad you posted this topic.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Changing the name we call these things to ourselves might help. Some fun could be had with that, too. Maybe something like the "attention flag has just been raised" alarm? Or the "better shift gears NOW" warning flag just popped up.

Obviously, my comedy writer brain bits are out to lunch (in fact, they went out for lunch a long time ago and never came back. Never even sent replacements).
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement