LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Emergency treatment for cat-scratch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Emergency treatment for cat-scratch
Bartenderbonnie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Easter to everyone. [group hug]

Unfortunately, my family's motto is "What's a holiday without a trip to the emergency room."

O.k, for the past 3 days I ve heard a banging sound in my dinning room. Apparently a red female Cardinal likes to fly into my window to say hello. Not at 100 miles an hour, just enough to say hello.

So I picked up my cat to show her the bird outside but tripped over my dog, which freaked out my cat, which caused my cat to scratch me in my neck and left hand, before jumping away.

I am now bloodied with 2 long deep scratches on hand and neck. Now I am freaking out. Ran to bathroom, washed with soap and water, applied iodine, then made a paste of BFI powder(antiseptic first aid powder).

I am wondering what I should do ? Go to E.R. For emergency antibiotic shot ? I am immunocompremised with CVID and.hypogammaglobluinemenia. I have Lyme, bartonella, and m. pneumonia. I have doxy, Amox, and Rifamin but don't take them on weekends because I pulse flagyl on weekends.

I am on day 8 of the longest herx to date. Extreme exhaustion, vertigo, tinnitis, insomnia, gastro, total mess. If I get complications from these scratches, I wouldn't be able to tell anyways as I am so very ill currently.

Should I seek medical attention or take antiboitics that I have on hand ????

Any suggestions GREATLY appreciated. [confused]

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jory
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jory     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indoor cat I'm guessing. If so, I would just use my regular antibiotics tomorrow and keep the wounds covered in iodine. When the iodine dries out apply over it a few times and then let it set. The skin will dry out and crust off in time, don't peel or it could scar.

This is what I would personally do. I would also consult a well-informed doctor to come up with a plan of action in case something unforseen develops. Hope this gives you some peace of mind.

Posts: 289 | From Montreal, Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bartenderbonnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, thanks neighbor to the north.

I had cat-scratch disease a few years back. I ignored it over the weekend and it traveled up my arm to my armpit. Bright red line lit up my vein.

I ended up in E.R. with I.V. antibiotic drip.

My body has antibiotics in it now so I m hoping it will stop anything from growing.

Just goes to show why top LLMD's say " No Cats".

Posts: 2977 | From Florida | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said...

"So I picked up my cat to show her the bird outside but tripped over my dog, which freaked out my cat, which caused my cat to scratch me in my neck and left hand, before jumping away."

Made me think of this poem...

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly.
I don't know why she swallowed that fly,
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a spider.
That wriggled and jiggled and wiggled inside her.
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly.
But I don't know why she swallowed that fly
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a bird.
How absurd, to swallow a bird!
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider
Perhaps she'll die

There was an old lady who swallowed a cat.
Imagine that, she swallowed a cat.
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird
Perhaps she'll die

There was an old lady who swallowed a dog.
What a hog! To swallow a dog!
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a goat.
Just opened her throat and swallowed a goat!
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a cow.
I don't know how she swallowed a cow!
She swallowed the cow to catch the goat
She swallowed the goat to catch the dog
Perhaps she'll die.

There was an old lady who swallowed a horse
She's dead, of course.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, no. It is THIS poem...

This is the house that Jack built.

This is the malt
That lay in the house that Jack built.

This is the rat,
That ate the malt

This is the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt

This is the dog,
That worried the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt

This is the cow with the crumpled horn,
That tossed the dog,
That worried the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt

This is the maiden all forlorn,
That milked the cow with the crumpled horn,
That tossed the dog,
That worried the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt

This is the man all tattered and torn,
That kissed the maiden all forlorn,
That tossed the dog,
That worried the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt

This is the priest all shaven and shorn,
That married the man all tattered and torn,
That tossed the dog,
That worried the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt

This is the **** that crowed in the morn,
That waked the priest all shaven and shorn,
That tossed the dog,
That worried the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt

This is the farmer sowing his corn,
That kept the **** that crowed in the morn,
That waked the priest all shaven and shorn,
That tossed the dog,
That worried the cat,
That killed the rat,
That ate the malt

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Sad to say I know both of them from memory. Yes, I am special and goofy too. HA!

I am sorry you are in this spot little BB. My thought too is to continue with your antibiotic schedule as you've been doing.

I use to say I was on so many antibiotics that if I fly ever landed on me he'd instantly become sterile.

I also don't know what you could add to your current meds to do any more than you are. Plus, as you know, more will make that herx even worse most likely.

Doxy is good with Rifampin for Bart. Amox could possibly help with any secondary infections. So I would probably, if in your shoes, watch the site and continue to boogie along.

Let us know how you are doing. And in the meantime- don't swallow no horse!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

And if you had a lick of sense you'd have swiped a foot from the Easter bunny for good luck in the future! You surely need it!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cat scratches and bites me on the regular LOL I dont even dress the wounds anymore, just leave em to heal, and I still love my cat. Even if my arm sometimes looks like a heroin addict hahaha I wouldnt worry too much. Besides youve already got a bunch of antibiotics.
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Fascinating how your mind works, Tincup. [spinning smile]
Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Wanted for misdemeanor battery on a loved one 1st degree.

-

Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Day 4 of cat scratch, she got me good this time, for sure.
From her back legs catapulting into air. I think it's healing ?

-

jory
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jory     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oo that's some puddy tat scratch. Looks okay though, seems healing-ish.

That look of guilt in your cats eyes..

Posts: 289 | From Montreal, Canada | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you contact your LLMD to get his/her advice?

Yikes! I would so like a cat or a dog, but, besides not even being able to take care of myself so much, I'm afraid of Bart, etc. in a cat, and dogs with ticks, whenever we might go out of the city!! Sigh.

Do contact your doctor, even though you already have abx that would ordinarily be used for Bart.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a cute cat! Is she a girl? She looks like a girl to me. They have more triangular faces and less cheek fat right?
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Thanks for your thoughts, I value your opinions very much.

It hurts really bad. I do not need to be dealing with this right now. I know how serious this could be for me. That's why I was freaking out on Easter Sunday when it happened.

My friends/family have had it with all my ailments, call me hypochondriac. That's why I posted picture. It is something that you can see. . . it's REAL. And cat scratch disease is real and is dangerous for immunocompremised persons.

I have IVIG treatment in the morning . Hoping it will help with the fight.

I have LLMD appointment next Tuesday. Hoping it will be O.K. till then.

It's always something, isn't it ? Damn.

Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Yeah, Christopher J,
she's a girl. She s a really sweet lap cat. I know she s wearing a blue bell collar but that's because it only cost a dollar , ha ha.

All my friends are animals . . . [Smile]

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did you put oil of oregano on it for the bartonella? diluted of course

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Hey Bluelyme,

I m tough, but not tough enough with for oil of oregano, ha ha. I diluted it with vitamin E last yer and it brought me to my knees. OOO and coconut oil are just too strong, unfortunately.

9 days after cat scratch and it's healed up so well that all you can see are 2 thin long scars ! Really amazing, so happy !

I continuely applied iodine, took dozy and Rifamin and am feeling no ill effects.

Dodged a bullet, to be sure ! Thanks to all !

gigimac
Member # 33353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gigimac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for sharing this Bonnie. I got scratched by an outdoor cat and will be calling my lyme doc tomorrow to see what she says.

Ugh, don't wanna risk getting sick. I'm not too worried about my indoor babies but the outdoor stray worry me quite a bit.

Posts: 1534 | From Greensboro NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you cat is indoor only, get some "Softpaws".

"Softpaws" are just as they sound. They are little soft plastic type covers that you can apply over the nails.

Vets are recommending these. They will apply them for a small fee if you don't want to do it yourself.

Pet stores & vets usually carry them or you can order them online.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bartenderbonnie
Member # 49177

Update

I'm o.k. but cat has attitude.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PKffm2uI4dk

Lyme248
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 51011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyme248     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister's cat just gave me a pretty big scratch. I'm hoping putting antibiotic cream on it will be enough.

If there was a criminal charge for scratching people unprovoked, this cat would be in jail forever. He's a really friendly cat, he just loves to scratch people.

--------------------
chronic Lyme/Bartonella

Inside every sick person is a well person waiting to be freed

Posts: 232 | From new england | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I get any scratch, I use my Violet Ray.

any injury: Violet Ray. It usually dries the scratch fast.

Recently I added a new companion: Liposomal Vit C.
I sort of cannot live without it anymore.

Most problems I got, I immediately take more lipo C, then think what to do next.

The scratch does not look too infected. Congrats! Just keep treating.

I love iodine too.

But Lipo C is more like a life warrant. It feels like a new category, in another level.

During my lyme scare, I carried my photon + nosodes no matter where I went.

Now I take my Lipo C, no matter where I go! That is how I feel safe.

My cat stays outside 95% of the time. When she scratches me, it's usually nasty, pretty 'dirty'.

Next time, I'll try adding Lipo C and let you know!

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement