LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Yeast ..help craving sugar!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast ..help craving sugar!
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 11 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My tongue is so raw today!!! I'm on Diflucan, well just started taking it 3 days ago.

When does it start to work? My problem is I can't stop eating candy bars, ice cream chocolate!!!!!!

HELP!!!!! When does the cravings go away? It could be the meds I'm on too...

Jamie

Posts: 504 | From US | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpdDrv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5861

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SpdDrv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jamie,
I had to get my doctor to order me some Nystatin oral med to use for my mouth because of the white coat on my tongue that Diflucan didn't help! the oral meds helps my tongue.
But like you I am craving sugar so much! I have never been a real big sugar candy bar junk food fan but the last month I think I could eat pure sugar at this point. I want to know if and when that is going to stop. I guess I will just have to learn how to say NO or sit on my hands one. LOL The cravings are bad!!!!
Stacie

Posts: 220 | From Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 9 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stacie, I think we are petty much going thru the same things in many ways. I've been reading and replying to some of your posts.

I think you started IV 2 weeks before I did. So I think we went thru the herxing around the same time. Now it's the sugar thing.

I too think I could eat pure sugar at this point. I'm not sure if it's the meds. I'm on or what. But I too need to sit on my hands!!!

My mom is taking care of me right now and she loves chocolate so it's not like I can say "no more sweets in the house".

I did tell her to stop me if she sees me going for any sweets. I hope that works.

The pain from my tongue is really helping me today from eating any sugar. Will this craving go away?

I feel like I'm in a sugar herx LOL

Anyway, off to sit on my hands Jamie

------------------

Posts: 504 | From US | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
needleseye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for needleseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi-

I'm not an yeast expert but I have done yeast/sugar free diets in my pre-LD days and I'm about to embark upon another.

My experience with sugar cravings is this:

I used to be sugar (mostly chocolate)freak in my twenties. In my early thirties I developed a huge yeast problem and was told by a herbalist to lay of the the sugar completely. He also gave me some homeopathic and herbal immune system builders. It worked and it worked fast-in about a week the yeast problem was under control after over a year of it being out of control.

I stayed off sugar for several years. (Altho I did allow myself fruit, fruit juices and a little bit of honey or all-fruit jams now and again.

I noticed that I craved animal protein tho after being a total vegetarian for 10 years I started eating fish and chicken. I think I needed the protein to give me more energy and replace the sugar buzz I'd gotten so used to.

Then I fell off the wagon.

But now I'd lost the tolerance to sugar that I'd had before. I'd get stiff joints, headaches and a major crash if I ate it. I discovered Chromium. It helped me to "handle" eating sugar better. Probably not a good thing really but I do thin that it helps stabilize your sugar levels.

Anyhow I had to do the yeast/sugar thing again. I took chromium too for while but then I read that it wasn't good to stay on it for prolonged periods of time so I stopped and only took it when thought my blood sugar was out of kilter.

Okay so how do you deal with the sugar cravings? It isn't easy and first and foremost it requires a commitment to feeling good. But here are a few little suggestions that might help:

1. Make yourself a cup of peppermint, spearmint or licorice tea. The little bit of natural sweetness and filling yourself with fluids may help a bit to distract you from the sugar craving. (Some yeast free diets don't allow herbal teas...)

2. Make sure you are getting appropriate protein. Especially for breakfast. I often eat things like fish or chicken for breakfast.

3. Are you allowed fruits on your diet? If so that might help. Also if you are allowed fruit- then an all-fruit jam (no sugar) might be okay and if it is try spreading it on a brown rice cake with some almond butter. Yum and it totally fools me into thinking I'm getting a treat.

4. You could try stevia-I never got into it but some people do.

Finally just commit to sticking it out for the day, and then the next and you WILL start to lose the sugar cravings. It just takes a little while-you have to be eating healthy at the same time tho. You know plenty of water, veggies, etc.

Eating sugar is DEFINITELY self perpetuating. As soon as I eat some I crave more and it becomes a vicious cycle that just has to be cut short as quickly as possible.

Oh and one other thing to remember. If you do cheat and eat something you shouldn't try not to let it fall into a binge.

Anyhow-hope this helps.

-Shanna

Posts: 109 | From Colorado | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shanna thanks so much for the advice!! You are right it's like once you cheat just on one thing then it's like binge time....

Anyone know if 100mgs. of Diflucan is alot? what about taking 2 just one time?

Jamie

needleseye
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for needleseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS thought of a couple other things...

Sometimes I think I have a sugar or a carb craving and what's really going on is that I'm dehydrated. So ALWAY drink a big ol' glass of water before you reach for the candy bar. (The water is good for you anyway).

Also buy a bag of those overpriced, pre-washed and pre-cut baby organic carrots. Its a sugary veggie but at least a little healthier than a candy bar. I usually give myself permission to binge on those. :-)

And here's a wierd one: Buy a bag of organic "spring" salad mix. You know the one's with all those strange greens and stuff like radicchio and arugula in it. Then eat it like a bag of potato chips. All those bitter and other strong tastes will also distract me from my other cravings. And again its better for you than ice cream!

Okay-now I've confessed some of my wierder eating habits.

Hope they help a bit.

-Shanna

Posts: 109 | From Colorado | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need 150mg Diflucan to be effective.

Also, another alternative that quiets my cravings - Nuts! They're high in protein, and almonds are high in magnesium (which we need).

Don't give in - the cravings will past once you get it under control.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diflucan - 100 mg is the normally prescriped dosage. You need to take it a few days in a row. I wouldn't suggest doubling up on it.

You have to change your thinking. If you address the sugar cravings problem you will feel better. Taking Nystatin and Diflucan will only be a temporary fix.

I bake my own breads, cookies and cranola. I also make a trail mix with a bit of Sunspire unsweetened carob chips (they are naturally sweet). When I bake I use a tiny bit of stevia extract and about a tbs. of Inulin (an FOS that is a little sweet). Also, I use nut meals for baking, instead of hi-carb flours. Trader Joe's carries almond, hazelnut and walnut meals (like flour). They all make really tasty breads and cookies.

Got to get the hi-carbs and sugars out of your diet or the Diflucan will not work. I was on Diflucan for a month and still ended up with Systemic Candida. Changing my eating habits and lots of improvising has worked to help keep the Candida under control. Oh, and avoid those sugar substitutes the "oses". They are NG too.

Hope this helps.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of years ago I hi-jacked the local Schwann's frozen food delivery truck.. locked myself inside it.. and ate every gallon of ice cream they had!

HA!

I KNOW the feeling!

Now.. rinse your mouth with some of this mixture... then spit it out.

2 Tablespoons of white vinegar to a pint of water... give or take.

This will help with the sore ruff tongue. Do it several times a day for several days to change the PH of your mouth.. and lessen pain.

I use to keep the vinegar bottle and cups on the bathroom sink counter.. and would use it each time I went in the bathroom to... uh... "wash my hands".

To reduce sugar cravings.. which are the worst for the first two weeks...

Use L-Glutamine powder.

Mix it as per directions in a glass of water. It is colorless and ordorless. It will help repair tissues... muscle tissue and other tissues (tongue), gut, intestines, bladder, etc.

Get the pure form with no added stuff.. at the health food store. Look for it maybe in the "weight lifters" section.

You can also go to WalMart (less expensive there) and get some cans of "Advantage" shakes. Several flavors available. Good protein and stuff in it.. and it will help curb the cravings by giving you more protein.. and it has a sweet flavor.

Are you drinking the decaf green tea?

Add lots of sweetener to it if drinking it hot (the non-sugar kind)... and a spit of cream if you like cream.

There are also sugar free jelly beans. Oh yeah... Pretty good!

Also... low carb ice cream .. a couple of brands available. Not bad at all!

But.. the L-Glutamine will help the most with curbing the sugar cravings until the yeast dies off.

You may want to consider using L-Glutamine regularly, for now, anyhow... many benefits gained... so think about it.

Otay?

ah ah ah...

Get your hands out of that cookie jar.

I am watching you!

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Tincup:

You are right about the L-Glutamine. It works for me too.

Don't beat me up too much, because I know you love your ice cream. But, I have to disagree with you about the lo-carb ice ream & the jelly beans. I have searched high and low for a lo-carb ice cream or frozen yogurt that does not have some form of sugar in it. I miss it so.

Splenda, dextrose, maltitol, sucrose, fructose, equal, maltidextrose, etc. all behave like sugar in our digestive tracts. Some of them actually are sugar derivatives. Even honey, maple syrup & molasses will feed the little yeast beasts. To my knowledge, Stevia and Inulin are the exceptions.

As well, the lactOSE in milk products (like ice cream) is a sugar.

I think cheating a bit is necessary for our sanity. But, we really need to read the labels of our lo-carb products.

There is a pretty good web site that has forums where all this stuff is discussed. I think it is WholeApproach.com. It is a site for people with Candida.

Keep those fingers out of the cookie jar until that nasty tongue clears up. It took mine about 6 months to return to normal. Yuck! Definitely something not kissable.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

PS: Even Nystatin rinse has sugar in it! You have to special order it without.

GO FIGURE!

KrisKraft
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KrisKraft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a hopeless cheater when it comes to chocolate chip cookies, but I've had daily success keeping the yeast at bay with Garlinase pills (2 per day with meals), and Yeast Fighters (5 per day) when I feel a flare-up coming. Nystatin never worked for me. Diflucan wo

I sell Pharmanex products on the side, and some people like Crave Ease for curbing sugar & carbs.
http://www.pharmanexusa.com/cgi-bin/pxweb/product/en/ns_productDetail.jsp?content_id=01003027&spons_ID=US0668509

My husband likes this black tea he picked up in China called Pu-erht. He says it works most of the time.

Kris

Posts: 245 | From Palo Alto, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 10 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am totally inspired now! Thamks ya'll! I was trying to remember back when I had truly felt my best under my circumstances.

It was last year. I can't remember if it was right after or before I was on abx. But anyway, I remember now ... I was taking better care of my body...Duh!

I also had a bit more of hmmmmm..Ayyy yes! POSITIVE thinking. I was Drinking a shake (advantage) putting powdered Colustrum in it, and breaking open the capsules of PB 8 and sprinkling that into it too.

Oh and a spoonful of Stoneyfield plain yogurt and blending it up in a blender.

For lunch I was eating good -for-me-stuff. Like plain tuna, eggs, and this great soup I got at a health food store(no potatoes,tomatoes ect...)

I was feeling great. I had more energy too. I also lost some weight So, this yeast thing is very serious!!!

I'm feeling just plain yucky.. I'm sure the abx isn't helpin much either! But, I've decided to fight back!!!!!

I just made a shake and put all my goodies in it. I took my Lactoferrin, my MetaFlora and my Ambrotose AO!

I'm making a list from some of the things ya'll listed above and nuts and things like that to get at the Health food store here in town.

My cravings for sugar are going away!!!!(I hope) POSITIVE THINKING, RIGHT????

beachcomber, you mentioned Splenda with the not so good stuff. I've been using Splenda since it came out. I do really like it. I may keep using that.

I only use it in my morning coffee.So, I'll keep paying attention with it.

Now I've got some great sites to go on. Thanx beachcomber!

Well, I'm off to napy nap

Jamie

------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beachcomber said..

"But, we really need to read the labels of our lo-carb products."

Dear Beachcomber..

How about sticking those labels in your ear?

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

O.K.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!

Please forgive me for being a butt head and telling you to "stick" your labels. That wasn't nice.. was it?

I just couldn't help myself.

I KNEW that SOMEONE would come along and ruin my ONLY fun in life by telling me.. after ALL that I have had taken from me... that I can't even eat PRETEND ice cream anymore! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

I KNEW I shouldn't have posted that I was eating low carb ice cream and eating low carb jelly beans.. and having ANY FUN what so ever in life!

Yes.. you are absolutely RIGHT!!

I am not even going to go double check the labels because I KNEW the stuff tasted too good to be good for me.

And I can tell you are right... and you know a lot about the topic.

I am glad that you pointed this out for others to take note of...

It is important they know in their quest to control yeast.

I hope you will forgive me for flipping out... and for my rude comments.

But.. you ARE lucky, actually.

The last person who tried to mess with my ice cream eating..

Well, let's just say... where they are now...

Ice cream melts in less than 1/2 of a second!

HA!

beachcomber
Member # 5320

Tincup:

You have really hurt my feelings!

Nah, just kidding. I still have my sense of humor and your first post had me chuckling. My family has told me to stick my labels in other places.

I took some of my 12 nieces and nephews to Ben & Jerrys for ice cream because I had 10 free coupons. The 13 year old convinced me that I would not die if I ate a cup of the lo-carb. He was right. I was actually in pig heaven with every spoonful. Got to love the wisdom of kids.

Now go stick those jelly beans between your toes.

Bc

guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 9 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a serious note guys.....enough play!!!!

Just kiddin!!!

If you are going to eat, say ice cream, isn't it better to eat the low carb stuff?

Or is it the same thing as eating the real thing?

I'm taking Diflucan 100mgs once a day now for 5 days now.... My tongue is sooooo raw!!!

Is Nystatin better?

Jamie

beachcomber
Member # 5320

Iwould have to say yes that the lo-carb is better. But, I still wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft. pole while trying to clear up Candida/Thrush. Read all the ingredients on the lo-carb products - lots of gums and other scary things that I sure never learned in Chemistry class. Best to go clean and fresh with your diet.

That is my humble but experienced opinion.

Nsytatin does help the thrush. It has sugar in it - go figure! I think you can order it without.

Bc

tjtighe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjtighe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I ended my sugar and chocolate cravings by eating so much sugar free, instant Jello puddings that I have had boxes left for weeks.

tj

Posts: 296 | From Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

I never even thought of Jello....hmmmmm I suppose it's safe? Hell, Isn't there anything that's ok for us to eat, drink,and do........that's FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

arrrrrrrrrrrrrg
Jamie

Tincup
Member # 5829

HA!

You said..

"The 13 year old convinced me that I would not die if I ate a cup of the lo-carb."

Yes.. aren't kids great?

And obviously he was right? You are still "kicking", I do believe.

I do... by the way.. appreciate your looking at the label and sharing the info. I didn't look.. but then MOST of that was because I didn't want to know.

I guess I will have to settle for a cup of ice cream at a time.. instead of a 1/2 gallon in one sitting.

Ya think?

Little g...

Did you use the vinegar rinse? Several times a day for a few days?

Yes... Nystatin LIQUID might help... but it takes a while.

And it has sugar in it... so keep that in mind. The formula was developed so babies would use it as they often get "thrush".

I was using the sugar free stuff my pharmacy made up for me special.

It tasted plum awful.. and I used it on/off for several years.

Finally I got to where I just couldn't "face" using it. NASTY stuff!!!

Soooooooo.. they compounded it and put it in a capsule for me. Now I just swallow.

Keep in mind..

As your body releases toxins.. the tongue can be one of the organs ... like the skin.. that the toxins try to escape from.

Ok... hope that tongue is sweet as you real soon.

lemonhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New to lymes. So that is why my tongue burns and i am getting sores in my mouth. I wish my doctor would tell me this stuff. Are all of you getting your information from others with Lymes or does your doctor tell you what to expect. I have been having the cravings for sugar but they have slacked off, but when i was eating icecream the tongue just hurt and burned. I s that what you are talking about?
What do you thing of maybe the South Beach diet, or even a bit of Atkins, and where do you get recipes and all this information you are talking about? I looked as Burrascano's paper on "Diagnostic hints and treatment guidelines for lyme and other tick borne illnesses, but he doesnt say much except, No, No, No. I'm sorry Dr. B, but how about yes to this and yes to that. And is there a recipe for bread that I make and eat it all up at a sitting? I'm Czech and German. Thank God I dont drink beer.
Okay Ill Shut Up, just venting. Really is there a diet for Lymes?
Loretta Lemonhead

Posts: 156 | From Corpus Christi, Texas USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 10 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Lorreta. There's no specific diet for people with Lyme (oh lyme not lymes )

However, some are doing Atkins and some Southbeach.

i was doing the Atkins diet more so then right now. I didn't do it to the tee, but I tried the shakes (going back to doing them)

Atkins cereal, foods, snacks, ect...I just really try to eat low carb. little sugar, yes because of yeast.

People with Lyme have to watch out for yeast with all the abx we take.

Taking supplements like vitamins, Acidopholis especially helps with yeast. Eating alot of yogurt too.

My llmd gave me Diflucan for the thrush on my tongue and for my gut!!!!

Do you see a Lyme Literate doc.(llmd)? Are you currently on treatment?Do you have any co-infections?

you asked " Are all of you getting your information from others with Lymes or does your doctor tell you what to expect."

The answer- Yes to both. Here we help each other. We give our experience and knowlegde to each other. Also we see our Doctors and they give us info and treat us.

Lymenet is here for us to help each other. So, Welcome....Now go and get something to help your tongue

Jamie

------------------

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to buy peanut M&M's for a snack while I was reading, as they had a low glycemic index.

After reading Marnie's posts about magnesium, I started eating raw almonds. And oddly, my craving for chocolate went away.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement