LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Appropriate Treatment (doxy vs rocephin)?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Appropriate Treatment (doxy vs rocephin)?
jwenny
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall a bite but have beem symptomatic for about 3 months. However, I have a lot of symptoms. These include tremors, change in taste, sound sensitivity, discomfort around the gall bladder area, muscle twitches, fatigue, and sleep disturbance (usually wake up every few hrs shaking). I don't feel any pain though besides my gall bladder area. I've tested 3 times negative for lyme (by the unreliable quest). i am currently taking 400 mg/day of doxy for about 10 days now. Was wondering if you all thought this was the appropriate treatment given that some of my symptoms appear neuro? I've seen a lot of people getting treated with IV rocephin for neuro. Need some advice here... THANKS
Posts: 187 | From Gaithersburg, Maryland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am being treated for neurolyme:
6 weeks doxy 300/day and biaxin 1000mg/day
2 weeks break
now on second of four weeks into tetra 1500mg/day and Biaxin 1000mg/day

My lld says that orals and iv are comparable. He uses combo orals.
Check with your lld about this though, may want to test you for coinfections,too.

I had two neg. quest tests then a pos from
stonybrook.
Best to you...

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rubicon
Member # 7919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rubicon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to check with your LLMD about Diflucan. I can't say enough about it! I was treated with oral Doxy for 30 days followed by 4 weeks of IV Rocephin.

I took 2 weeks off and then saw an LLMD for the first time who started me on 200mg a day of Diflucan, which worked better for me then IV Rocephin.

I questioned my LLMD and he explained that it actually penetrates the brain better then IV Rocephin.

If you ever go the Diflucan route, just make sure your LLMD checks your liver every 2 weeks. In rare cases, it can cause liver damage.

Also, you mentioned you are on 400MG a day of Doxy. That is the amount my LLMD says you need for it to be affective treating Lyme. However, 400mg is so touch on your stomach that he won't prescribe it.

I know Lyme affects everyone different, but reading your post reminded me of myself 9 months ago.

Currently I am not taking any meds. I was on Diflucan for 60 days and will go back on for another month after I complete 10 days of no meds.

Best wishes to you and your battle. Whichever therapy you and your LLMD choose, remain positive and strong!

--------------------
I'm in the tunnel and I still don't see any light!!

Posts: 42 | From RI tick capitol of the world | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jillybean
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jillybean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have been diagnosed by my LLMD as having neurolyme. I am on 2g IV Rocephin and 1500 mg
Flagyl everyday (it's been 7 weeks so far). I've jut started to notice some of the numbness not as bad in my face, memory is a bit better, and stuttering got better the first 2 weeks.

However, the fatigue and joint pains are back, along with a few other sx.

Good Luck!
Jill

Posts: 203 | From Jacksonville, FLorida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwenny
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your great advice.

I a newbie...good luck with your recovery!

Posts: 187 | From Gaithersburg, Maryland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement