LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What's up with celebrix? Who's taking it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's up with celebrix? Who's taking it?
HEATHERKISS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6789

Icon 5 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

Just looking for opinions and experiences.

What's up with celebrix? Who's taking it?

Did you get insurance hassle?

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Celebrex?? I took it many years ago. Not anymore. Don't wanna die!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94761 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 5 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? Die? why?

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on it about five years. It lowers your systemic inflammation. If you are concerned about side effects, you could try it at a lower dosage.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 13 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband is really sick. I think he got a virus on our vacation to Memphis.

Now every Lyme symptom is coming out. He's using phrases like, I'm dieing.

or I feel like I was beat up with a bag of rocks.

or who's stabbing me? (reffering to shoulder blade pain)

The LLMD saw him today and prescribed celebrex for 10 days.

Our flippin insurance didn't cover it. So we are out of pocket for the LLMD and the rx.

Another happy Lyme story. Do you hear the sarcasm in my voice?

pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From WebMD:

Celebrex, a closely related drug also made by Pfizer, from the class of pain relievers known as Cox-2 inhibitors, will be allowed to remain on the market. But it will be forced to carry strict new warnings alerting doctors and patients that it elevates the risk of heart attacks and strokes, the FDA says.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A natural and safe COX2 inhibitor:

"Inhibition of cyclooxygenase and prostaglandin E2 synthesis by gamma-mangostin, a xanthone derivative in mangosteen, in C6 rat glioma cells.

Nakatani K, Nakahata N, Arakawa T, Yasuda H, Ohizumi Y.

Department of Pharmaceutical Molecular Biology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tohoku University, Aoba, Aramaki, Aoba-ku, 980-8578, Sendai, Japan.

The fruit hull of mangosteen, Garcinia mangostana L., has been used for many years as a medicine for treatment of skin infection, wounds, and diarrhea in Southeast Asia. In the present study, we examined the effect of gamma-mangostin, a tetraoxygenated diprenylated xanthone contained in mangosteen, on arachidonic acid (AA) cascade in C6 rat glioma cells. gamma-Mangostin had a potent inhibitory activity of prostaglandin E2 ( PGE2) release induced by A23187, a Ca2+ ionophore. The inhibition was concentration-dependent, with the IC50 value of about 5 microM. gamma-Mangostin had no inhibitory effect on A23187-induced phosphorylation of p42/p44 extracellular signal regulated kinase/mitogen-activated protein kinase or on the liberation of [14C]-AA from the cells labeled with [14C]-AA. However, gamma-mangostin concentration-dependently inhibited the conversion of AA to PGE2 in microsomal preparations, showing its possible inhibition of cyclooxygenase (COX). In enzyme assay in vitro, gamma-mangostin inhibited the activities of both constitutive COX (COX-1) and inducible COX (COX-2) in a concentration-dependent manner, with the IC50 values of about 0.8 and 2 microM, respectively. Lineweaver-Burk plot analysis indicated that gamma-mangostin competitively inhibited the activities of both COX-1 and -2. This study is a first demonstration that gamma-mangostin, a xanthone derivative, directly inhibits COX activity."

PMID: 11754876 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
4: Mahabusarakam W, Proudfoot J, Taylor W, Croft K.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94761 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather, I use to take it but swicthed to Sulindac, an old school NSAID. It worked better for me w/out the worry.
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 4 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not working for my husbands pain!!!!!!!!!!!!
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Etodolac is another old school nsaid. This is new pill Bill is going to take.

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Heather, I have been so sick lately. Times you feel like you are dying or from the inside out very slowly.
After yrs. of mis-dxes spending moocho bucks & savings could use now.
Had a life,fam,business,friends,big home,boat, etc.
Now living on basically nothing but my last of savings to provide roof over my head, daily needs.

I am unable to get proper treatment my primary believes but will not treat, say lack of knowledge.
Heck after 5 yrs. think he would study up, know I am not his 1 and only Lyme,FM,cfids,MS/++
patient.
Yet he is only 1 on my insurance that does believe enough to take me on with band aid treatment.

I am so sorry, know about the pain 24/7/fatigue/nausea/ days I wake say I belong in hosp. or nursing care too sick to take care myself. On my own here, no fam. close.

It is hard to watch for others being on other end in med. field prior.

It is hard just try to do your best to get a laugh or keep up his spirits, how lucky he is to have some support (from you I gather).

Clebrex, hmmmm we had the research people for 3 yrs. at our clinic.

Find being in & part of they listen to only what they want making research,testing not reliable depending how much they want to get it approved.

Only listen to good.

So always when you see studies, as told when young believe only 50% of what you read. Sort out rest yourself.
More energy,work for us who do not have.

Celebrex has done wonders for some. That I know,long term.
Think many these new meds being shoved at us.

Why not go to the old proven ones.

Even hard to get old fashion peniciilan.
It does work for many. Cheap, prob. why??? [bonk]

Hang in there not easy on either end for sure...

[group hug] Kerry

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement