LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » To Anyone with throat pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To Anyone with throat pain
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have throat pain on just one side?

I have this pain in my throat when I swallow usually harder foods vs liquid or soft food.

One doc says it is Carotidinia; another thinks it is my inflammed vocal chords from reflux.

However, it feels like my left tonsil to me, and it seems to always hurt.

I have had this pain on and off for almost six months. I am trying to figure out whether this is Lyme or maybe tonsil/throat cancer?? They have scoped me and didn't find anything in my throat except inflammed vocal chords.

Thoughts?

Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quaicheng
Member # 8392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quaicheng     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that throat. I went another 6 mos without treatment and began losing my voice.

I later tested POS for C-Pnuemonia, feels like a kind os Pnuemonia.

guessing it is "tick soup" on your v-cords.

The only thing helping so far has been Ketek. Ketek increased the irritation (feels like sunburn) when I breathe hard swallow or laugh. Getting off ketek for a few days and it feels like it is finally healing.

i later found out ketek was originally made for W-Pnuemonia.

I thought for sure I had throat-C- too, it is sooo persistant.

quai

--------------------
"In spite of the ever increasing cost of living, it remains quite popular" S. Shackel

Posts: 87 | From walla walla wa | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My right gland was swollen for awhile and making my throst hurt on that side...

Is your gland swollen on that side?

- Just a thought

Best wishes

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
back in 2000 when i was bit by a tick i had a very bad sore throat on my left side. Sometimes a white sore would grow on my tonsil.

I was on and off abx for about 6 months. I went to an ENT and he put me on augmentin and told me to take claritin to help with the iritation.

It got so bad pharangitis was practically my name.

It cleared up real fast with both claritin and augmentin.

i thought i had throat cancer too and my friends were all worried about me....one kept saying something is so wrong with this(yea they were right

have you tried something like claritin? Of course check with your dr first before taking any meds.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella?

I think that is what caused my left sided sore throats.

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,
Thanks for your thoughts.

I have had every doc check my lymph node/glands there and they say they are not inflammed. Hmmm...

The ENT put me on Augmentin back in October for 10 days (I guess he thought it was an infection). It didn't help.

I have not tried Claritin.

I did test positive for Bart though, which I suspect is the cause of my largely undiagnosed and perpetual GI and GB problems that no one can figure out for the past three years.

Question: why would something attack just one side of my throat? That is what I really don't understand. If it was my irritated vocal chords, wouldn't they hurt on both sides when I swallow?

The pain doesn't feel like a sore throat per se...it feels like pain and it actually hurts when I press on my throat where my head and neck intersect.

Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is just a guess. but could it possibly be muscle related?

i never could understand my one sided sore throat either...it didnt make sense to me at all. I think one sided sore throat is a lyme symptom, i recall reading it somewhere.

bart could also be a factor.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
christelleny
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christelleny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thyroid nodules may cause difficulties swallowing change in the voice (hoarseness) and pain in throat.

I've heard from several LLMDs that thyroid nodules are common in Lyme and coinfections.

Posts: 159 | From CT, USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RigorMorticia
Member # 9126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RigorMorticia         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So WEIRD. I was just logging in here to check responses to my question about vision, and have been bugged all morning by this new aching around my esophagus, I take prilosec for reflux and that's been under control, but this aching in my throat, what the hell is that? One more side effect of doxycycline?

I know it has to get worse before it gets better (if it ever does), I'm only one week in to treatment, but boy, do I feel like crap. I think it may be time for the lemon olive oil drink.

Posts: 18 | From NH | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, same thing here, I've lost track of how long, maybe 8 years. Lyme seems the likely culprit.

Lots of docs said reflux, but all the different kinds of acid blocking meds only make the problem worse. For me there's a digestion connection. Anything that improves digestion helps reduce the severity of my symptoms.

Here's what I do, you might consider trying some to see if you get any relief:

1) avoid drinking liquids with meals because liquids dilute the digestive juices

2) take a good probiotic in enteric coated capsules with each meal (Solaray Multidophilus 12 has worked best for me)

3) ginger with each meal, you can get it in capsules

4) Comfree (another Solaray product) with pepsin and algin with each meal

5) once per day, an herbal colon cleanser pill (I take one named "Experience", no other worked as well) to reduce gut transit time slightly

The combo of all the above reduces my pain from severe to uncomfortable.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahinnewyork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahinnewyork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! I get pain very similar to what you describe-left side- not typical, "sore throat" feels like strange muscle pain. I have also been checked for node inflammation and there is none...

When I recently had a bad rash...the rash followed the path of the pain, up my neck on the left side and onto my ear and left side of face...

Do you also get a hot ear at times?

I have started taking raw garlic at night- cutting it up, leaving it out to the air for a few minutes and then taking it like tiny pills ( so as not to reek of garlic in the mouth)

This seems to have made it worse at first- but I wonder if it's been some sort of GI herx? Or perhaps a reflux reaction...

I don't have any stomach soreness or taste acid in my mouth...

thanks for raising this- as I hadn't read of others with this and was also starting to worry about throat cancers etc...

Hope- Sarah

Posts: 119 | From new york, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bart made my throat blow up like a water balloon. You could actually see the swelling, it was so bad.

Five months on rifampin and ketek seems to have gotten rid of it. Watch out for the rifampin herx, though. I tried levaquin, too, and even though some people do well on it, it did nothing for me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement