LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flagyl and Ketek for Babs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flagyl and Ketek for Babs?
Robin61
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin61     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere that some llmds are using Flagyl and ketek for babs is this true? Just wandering if this has worked for anyone or if Mepron always has to be used as well! Thanks, Robin in Houston
Posts: 121 | From Houston, TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin, this is copied from another post.

There's actually quite a few more drug combinations used now for babesia, although flagyl is useless for it, and ketek is only a partial treatment. My hardcore babesia is finally calming down after four years of no treatment (and complete disability), and one and a half years of partial treatment. I took plaquenil, flagyl and zithromax continuously for two years, and they did nothing but create drug-resistant babesia. Although flagyl is spectacular for Lyme, despite its many side effects.

If I had the whole experience to do over, I'd have tried chloroquine-doxycycline-primaquine-artemisinin first, then gone for the mepron. Chloroquine is marketed under two names, Nivaquine and Avloclor. It is not the same drug as plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine). The reason I'm interested in this combination, is that it is one of the most widely prescribed cures for relapsing malaria, and is far more targeted, and less expensive, than mepron. Mepron is an excellent, life-saving drug, but if you read through Lymenet, you'll see it has a high relapse rate. You always take it with an antibiotic from the macrolide family, such as ketek or zithromax, to slow down the development of drug resistance to mepron.

As it is, I did a terrific combination, in my personal non-medical non-authoritative easily changed opinion, provided your liver can handle it, of mepron-ketek-primaquine-artemisinin. I took mepron-ketek-artemisinin for one year, and recovered to the point of contemplating training for a marathon, working 60 hours a week, and being symptom-free. Then the whole thing collapsed when I stopped taking mepron, and the bug became so aggressive that mepron could no longer hold it back.

I'm now into my eighth week of mepron-ketek-primaquine-artemisinin, with the primaquine pulsed at three days on, two days off. When I first started, my babesia had finally overcome mepron, and I was experiencing constant fever, seizures, memory loss, and severe sleep disturbance. This week, I'm finally able to take breaks from mepron--although it's too soon to know if this is permanent yet--I'm jogging again, and can go to sleep with just melatonin supplements, not two ambien tablets. That has not been possible for the past five years. The artemisinin is still required, but the ketek has been cut back from two 400mg tablets per day to one tablet per day.

I absolutely agree with Crime of Lyme that quinine is one of the most powerful, effective malaria drugs available, and it would have been the next step after mepron. But since it has well-documented side effects (just look at all those old novels about Western travelers who visit Africa and take quinine), you would definitely want to research it first, so you know what you're doing.

Most of these drugs are notorious for turning your liver into chopped liver unless you take protective supplements. The best liver supports are milk thistle, schizandra, and N-acetyl cysteine. Some other terrific ones are zinc, selenium, phosphatidylcholine/lecithin, CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, magnesium, and beta carotene.

You can get Nutricology's artemisinin supplements off the web. One way people learn if they have babesia is to take artemisinin and see if their symptoms flare.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think some docs are using flagyl and zith for babesia.
Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One way people learn if they have babesia is to take artemisinin and see if their symptoms flare.
Hi, Liz,

I have read several messages about using Arte. to test if one has Babs.

But never understand how to do this.

Could you explain more?

Thanks.

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did Ketek, Artemsinin and Plaquenil for babs. I was on the plaquenil already so it wasn't added. I started Plaquenil with Biaxin, but it reduced inflammation and pain in my hands so I stayed on it.

It seems to have been a succesful combination for me. But I really didn't have a bad case of babs.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liz,

You mentioned a while back that you had early kidney disease or damage from Mepron. Can you elaborate?

I ask because my GFR came back at 67 and now I am having it investigated to see what the cause is.

How did you come to conclusion that any kidney damage is caused by Mepron?

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up.
Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement