LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rash on back of head

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rash on back of head
GreanPea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3411

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreanPea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first llmd, while not ultimately the one for me, was adamant that lyme patients tend to get a rash on the back of the head right above the hairline. He even had a picture hanging in the office of one of his patients with the back of his head shaved to show the rash.

Now, this isn't a bullseye rash, but I can't remember what it looked like.

My 7 y.o. had a tick attached the other day. It was partially engorged. I've already made an appointment with my LLMD.

When doing the daily bullseye check, I did take a peek at the back of his head and darned if there wasn't a pink splotchy rash right where my former LLMD described it should be.

Anyone have any experience with this???

Thanks in advance.
Pea

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~
I am SO not a doctor, just another lymie trying to sort out this mess, so, everyday I think...
Obla di, Obla da...

Posts: 552 | From Right here | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd think you could get a rash just about anywhere with lyme/babs/bart. Many never get the bullseye but other odd types of rashes so a rash at the back of the head wouldn't surproise me at all.
Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 1 or 2 rashes in the neck/hairline area that they biopsied, "unknown BUG bites".
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An LLMD i went to see ,not my current LLMD also said this. My mom was with me at the time and he checked her and she was worse then mine.

If i didnt see it with my own eyes i wouldnt have believed it.

Mine was just red, not bumpy....hers was raised bumps like bug bites.

im glad you are getting her to an LLMD...

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a recurrent rash on the back of my neck at the base of my hairline. I was never able to see it, and never really had anyone look at it, but it always itched a lot, and I thought it was an odd place to have a rash.

After I started abx, I hadn't had it for a while. But after I started tinidazole recently, I broke out again at the base of my neck and across the back of the neck with a bumpy, itchy rash, that felt like the bumps were in straightish lines. This followed a stiff neckand spine and headache.

This past week the tini didn't give me that reaction.

Patti

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trina
Member # 9270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
I have just been diagnosed with lyme.And yes, the back on my neck and the hairline was driving me crazy with itching.There was not actually a rash there, it has been itchy for about two weeks.My tic bite EM was on my back.What I wonder about is this.The tic that I got lyme from was one of those really tiny ones.If you have it on your head how are you going to find those?Dogs and cats get lyme from them also.Hope this helps,
Trina

--------------------
Trina

Posts: 64 | From Mo. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this. Mine is flat. Are they supposed to go away?

I discovered mine in 1991 after my first tick bite & diagnosis. It has never gone away.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If either of you whose LLMDs have said this rash on the back of the head is common with Lyme would email me those LLMDs contact info, or any info about why this is the case, it would be very helpful.

After so long trying everything and all the ups and downs, one begins to have doubts about what they really have. If there is evidence of a tie between this rash & Lyme/STARI, it would really help to reassure me that we are on the right track.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get a rash on the back of my neck and in the hairline. It's nearly always there but doesn't always itch or burn. When it does it drive me crazy.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This problem comes and goes w/me, and recently it came back w/a vengeance. It started w/just a little itching, but kept spreading and becoming more itchy, so I decided to try treating it, and it seem to help, so I wanted to share this w/you.

I've recently started on Pau D'arco solution, and boneset tinctures orally, and these herbs seem to really make me herx, so I decided to squirt some directly on the rash and rub it into the affected scalp. They've really helped, and the rash is no longer itching like it did, and the bumpiness of the rash has just about disappeared after just a couple of applications. I'm also taking redroot, but I didn't squirt any of that on.

It occured to me that if the rash is a manifestation of Bb moving to another area to try to escape the abx/herbs I'm taking systemically, that this rash might be loaded w/live spirochetes/cysts, and this seems to have borne out that thought.

Also, I think I read somewhere that blood circulation to the scalp (I guess to most of the head/eyes/brain) isn't good, so I decided to try applying the herbs directly to the skin and see how it went... Maybe absorption through the scalp could be used w/other abx or MMS to treat the head/brain succesfully? I think it might be worth a try.

Application of these herbs was followed by a fairly strong herx, which in my case is evidenced pretty quicky by severe drooping of my eyes and internal pressure on my eyeballs/eyelids.

The Pau d'arco solution I'm using (by Herb Pharm) has glycerine in it, so it does leave a little bit of a sticky residue on the skin, but it's a small price to pay to get rid of that rash and hopefully a lot of keets at the same time.

I hope this helps some of you as it did for me. Merry Christmas!

Patti

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To follow up on my last post, I have to now add this warning, if you have a relatively high bacteria load, don't do what I did. I used the boneset and pau d'arco straight out of the bottle and over 12 hours later, I'm still herxing heavily from it.

It's important for me to make it clear that I've been on abx for over 2 years now, and have recovered significantly in that time. The only symptoms I have left are the rash on the back of my neck and a couple of neurologic/ocular problems. My joints don't ache anymore, I don't have heart palpitations anymore, I have very good energy, etc. For me to herx for over 12 hourse straight is quite unusual and unexpected.

So if you have a lot of neuro problems and still have a lot of symptoms, take great are if you're considering doing this, and perhaps make a much more dilute solution initially to put on the rash. Be cautious. If you don't you could have a severe herx which you might not be prepared for.

It's clear to me now that drugs/chemicals can be absorbed well through the scalp, and I've found a good reference which supports the idea.
See the linked article:

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200309/00020030903A0189820.php

TOP > J-EAST > List of Journal Titles (J) > Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, Japan(2003) > Transfollicular Drug Delivery: Characteristics and Advantages of Drug Absorption across Human Scalp Skin.
Transfollicular Drug Delivery: Characteristics and Advantages of Drug Absorption across Human Scalp Skin.
Accession number;03A0189820
Title;Transfollicular Drug Delivery: Characteristics and Advantages of Drug Absorption across Human Scalp Skin.
Author;OGISO TARO(Kinki Univ., Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sci., JPN)
Journal Title;Journal of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, Japan
Journal Code:G0234A
ISSN:0372-7629
VOL.63;NO.1;PAGE.34-45(2003)
Figure&Table&Reference;FIG.10, TBL.4, REF.31
Pub. Country;Japan
Language;Japanese
Abstract;Recent studies have focused on the hair follicle as a potential pathway for both localized and systemic drug delivery. When drug penetration through human scalp skin was investigated using liquid formulations containing lipophilic and hydrophilic drugs in vitro, lipophilic melatonin (MT) and ketoprofen (KP) showed high permeabilities through scalp skin. Absorption enhancers, N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone and isopropylmyristate, only slightly increased the fluxes. Hydrophilic fluorouracil (5FU) and acyclovir (ACV) also penetrated across the skin with relatively large fluxes. However, there was large variability in the fluxes of drugs across scalp skins. There was a correlation between the flux and hair follicle density (r = 0.651 for MT and r = 0.666 for ACV). Fluorescent probes, nile red and sodium fluorescein, permeated into the junction of the internal and external root sheath of follicles and diffused into the dermis via the outer root sheath at the initial times. The penetration of MT and 5FU through scalp skin was much higher (37 and 48 times, respectively) than that via human abdominal skin. It has been demonstrated that topically-applied liposomes and microspheres are efficient in specifically targeting the delivery of a wide variety of compounds into the hair follicles. Additionally, hair follicles were a significant pathway for electroosmotic solution flow during iontophoresis. This review indicates a basis that drug delivery through human scalp skin will offer an available delivery means for many lipophilic and hydrophilic drugs. (author abst.)
BACK

Also:

Journal Article

Variations in percutaneous absorption of testosterone in the rhesus monkey due to anatomic site of application and frequency of application
Journal Archives of Dermatological Research
Publisher Springer Berlin / Heidelberg
ISSN 0340-3696 (Print) 1432-069X (Online)
Issue Volume 267, Number 3 / May, 1980
Category Original Contributions
DOI 10.1007/BF00403844
Pages 229-235
Subject Collection Medicine
SpringerLink Date Friday, December 03, 2004
Add to marked items
Add to shopping cart
Add to saved items
Permissions & Reprints
Recommend this article

Original Contributions
Variations in percutaneous absorption of testosterone in the rhesus monkey due to anatomic site of application and frequency of application
Ronald C. Wester1, 2 , Patrick K. Noonan1, 2 and Howard I. Maibach1, 2

(1) G. D. Searle and Co., P.O. Box 5110, 60680 Chicago, Il, USA
(2) School of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, University of California, 94143 San Francisco, California, USA

Received: 31 July 1979

Summary This study determines if the anatomic region affected percutaneous absorption in the rhesus monkey, an animal model with some relevance to man. Percutaneous absorption of testosterone (13.3 g/cm2) from the ventral forearm was 8.82.5%. Absorption from the chest was slightly less (5.3 0.6%) while that from the cheek was about the same (9.60.2%). Absorption from the scalp was greatly increased (20.42.7%), that from the vagina was the greatest (63.12.6%). As previously noted in man, anatomic variation in skin absorption exists in the rhesus. The ratio of scalp absorption to ventral forearm absorption in the rhesus was similar to that in man.
The next objective was to determine the percutaneous absorption of testosterone when applied as a single dose or on a repetitive basis. There was no substantial difference in total absorption when 13.3 g/cm2 was applied as a single dose or when the 13.3 g/cm2 was applied three times, totaling 40 g/cm2. However, when 40 g/cm2 was applied as a single dose, absorption was substantially increased over 13.3 g/cm2 applied either once or three times. These results confirm previously reported results done with single versus repetitive doses of hydrocortisone.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Another follow up:

After applying the boneset and pau d'arco to my rash another time, I herxed again, but less severely. The itching and bumpiness lessened, but did not go away completely.

Since the rash was still bothering me some this morning, I decided to try applying MMS to the rash and mixed 2 drops w/10 drops of activator. I used a cotton swab to apply it directly to the rash, feeling the bumpiness w/my fingers and directing the cotton swab to those points.

I began herxing again pretty quickly.

This afternoon, the bumpiness is almost completely gone, along w/the itchiness! It really is amazing!

I haven't yet taken MMS internally. I thought I'd try it externally first, but it definitely passed the first test.

I really feel as if that rash was a repository for Bb and/or Bart. The location of the rash, at the back of the neck, adjacent to and on top of the spinal column, has always struck me as suggesting that the rash might be directly related to spinal cord infection.

If treating the rash helps treat the central nervous involvement, wouldn't that be great?!
Of course, I'm just speculating here, but maybe there's something to it.

I have to say, that I don't feel the numbness in my toes that I sometimes have, and my hands feel relatively normal as well.

psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

So, I feel a responsibility to continue following up on this thread since I brought it up again.

This A.M. I had a few little itchy bumps just a the very base of my hairline and put only MMS on it. At first it felt like it was making the itchiness and bumpiness go away, but as the day wore on, I realized that the bumps seemed to increase somewhat along with the itchiness.

This evening, I decided to put only some pau d'arco solution on the area and pretty quickly (within 30min-1hr?) the bumpiness and itchiness went away.

So the jury is out on MMS, at least topically, although it definitely seemed to help some yesterday. On the other hand the pau d'arco solution seems to consistently be effective.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement