LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Abx horror stories from my doctor - how much truth?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abx horror stories from my doctor - how much truth?
jbass
Member # 9386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The doc who diagnosed my Lyme is very reticent to prescribe more than 200 mg x 21 days of doxy. I've asked for 400 mg x 30 days. He agreed to give it to me, but also gave me a list of all kinds of horrifying things that could happen to me, since I am "outside the box" taking this drug. Should I be concerned? Of course, the alternative to knocking out this bug would be worse, I guess.
Posts: 5 | From NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a duck to me. Get thee to a LLMD. Even 30 days is probably not sufficient.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whether or not you get the proper treatment, for now, you must be taking probiotics. Are you familiar with them?

THe best one in my opinion BY FAR is theralac. Can be bought at www.theralac.com
I am NOT affiliated with the Co and not trying to seel anything. Just know from YEARS of experience with ABX that this brand of probiotics will stave off many of the scary things your duck was talking about.

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch being in sunlight with doxy.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also second trails suggestion to take pro-biotics.

The abx can kill of the good flora while you are in treatemt.

It is important to space out the pro-biotics from the abx at least 2 hours apart.

Nausea is the most common side effect people report from taking doxy. here are a few tips to help. (personally I would rather be nauseated for a month than face a life time of pain and suffering caused by chronic lyme)

Drink at least 8 onuces of water to swallow the doxy and also to always take it with a full meal.

Try not to lay down for 2 hours after taking the doxy. it can cause reflux that can burn your throat.

And stay out of the sun or cover up extreamly well and stay in the shade. [Cool]

I have taken doxy for 9 years on and off and if you follow these precautions theirs no reason for anything horrible to happen.

Good luck with your treatments.

In the mena time it would be wise to find a LLMD because a tick bite transmitts other infections other than lyme. And a knowledgable LLMD will know how to treat these.

I am not a doctor just my own personal experiences.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is true that long-term antibiotics can have some negative consequences. Most people who choose long-term antibiotic therapy weigh the potential consequences against the benefit.

But, I would not consider 30 days long-term. Many of us on the board have been on abx for years. I was put on abx for 2 months years ago by an allergist to clear out my sinuses.

That said, always be aware of the potential side effects so you know if something happens that warrants a call to the doctor or pharmacist.

I also agree you should take probiotics to make sure you are refreshing your natural flora. I got bad yeast problems from my 2 months on abx for my sinuses because I didn't know better.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's completely idiotic. People all over the world take doxy on a daily basis for years, for both acne and malaria prophylaxis. Just look on any reputable website for either travel medicine or dermatology.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what are the horror stories that he told you could happen to you? 100 mg of Doxy 2 x's a day will not do hardly anything against lyme. I wouldn't even start Tx with this guy if he is under the impression that this will be effective. Many here have taken 300 mg's twice a day for 6 months to a year without any adverse horrific consequences. Just stay out of the sun, direct and indirect. Otherwise you will burn.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes...i'm interested to know what horrible things would happen with taking abx for longer than 30 days?? Please enlighten us!
Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on antibiotics for almost 2 years. I feel way better now than I did before the antibiotics. My stomach and digestion are fine.

I take theralac, drink lots of water and follow a strict anti yeast diet.

People take antibiotics for years to treat acne!
hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbass
Member # 9386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't write down the complete list of "horrible things" but it included:

kidney damage
liver damage
lupus
serum sickness
exfoliative dermatitis ("your skins peels off in sheets")
low platelet count
hemolytic anemia
pancreatitis
anaphylactic shock
colitis

The list was so long and his tone so somber that it was almost funny.

Posts: 5 | From NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if he knows all the horrible symptoms lyme can cause?

- My guess would be no.

In my opinion if you are reall long term abx your dr should be checking your blood to make sure your organs and whatnot are still functioning properly.

- Just my opinion as someone who has been in treatment quite awhile.

I would find a llmd now. That way if you need more treatment you will get it for the right duration at the right dose.

Best wishes [Smile]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee I'm surprised he did'nt mention the "super bug" theory...

But if he does tell him the "super bug" is already here...

Ask him why he did'nt prescribe any pro-biotics while destroying your good flora...

cuz mainstream medicine ain't got none...that's why folks get colitis or clostridium difficile...

Fire this quack......and get a llmd.....zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your physician is correct -- all of those things (plus more) are side effects of the antibiotics prescribed. He is also correct that the longer one uses these drugs, the more likely one is to encounter a side effect (including simple things like nausea, susceptibility to sunburn, and terrible things, like c. difficile colitis). To deny these things is wrong and remiss.

Like all drugs, one needs to weight the risk of the drug's side effect profile and the likelihood of any given side effect (e.g., some are quite rare) with the risk of not treating the underlying disease. You also have to take into account other medically significant variables (eg., age, other existing disease processes, hypertension, etc). One should also consider the seriousness of any given side effect and whether or not it is manageable medically or otherwise (e.g., nausea vs c. difficile colitis). NONE of this should be done lightly.

Many here, including myself, have weighed those variables, FOR OUR INDIVIDUAL CASES, and decided to take antibiotics. Others on this site have made the opposite choice (there are many here using things like herbs, rife, and other non-Western medicine based treatments), a choice which carries its own set of risks.

You (and hopefully, a well informed physician or other medical practitioner) should make that judgment together and continue to assess that judgment over time as variables change.

Best success with your assessment for your own case.

Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement