LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Absolute insomnia. Anyone else? Any progress?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Absolute insomnia. Anyone else? Any progress?
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had insomnia for 10+ years (since my tick bite), and was hoping that after 14 months of lyme and babs treatment it might be better....but it just gets worse. Anyone had any luck conquering this beast?? I just want to sleep!!!

I passed on the opportunity to have a sleep study (and methadone for sleep from a crazy neurologist) but I am fairly certain I am experiencing delta wave intrusion.

(BTW...I am taking enough sleep meds to anesthetize a small horse, so meds are apparently not the answer.)

Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwenny
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also had my share of sleep problems since getting sick. My sleep is very fragmented these days in which I wake up every 1-2 hrs. I found that I have to stick to a very consistent schedule in order to get some sleep. I try to walk in the mornings/afternoons and take a nice warm shower just before bedtime.

Best Wishes!

Posts: 187 | From Gaithersburg, Maryland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jen, I hadn't slept for 35 years; yes 35! my sleep apnea 2 nights showed that too. NO DELTA 4 SLEEP was recorded for either night where the body rejuvenates & heals itself making you feel refreshed.

Since my new LLMD took me off 2 abx in April, I am able to sleep at night ON MY OWN...NO MEDS! I sleep anywhere from 2-5 hrs. max with 2-3 pee calls.

NOW new LLMD put me on $700 of 23 supplements including a sleep formula which I'm starting tonight. I'm to sleep 8-10 hours WITHOUT PEEING! Get REAL!! I'll try most things once.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insomnia had been the biggest and first symptom of mine.

For months, I slept for 1-3 hours and after that, couldn't fall asleep again or in a state that I couldn't tell I was wake or asleep.

Then with Abx treatment, sleep improved to 4-5 hours, but still a problem.

However when took 3X3(540mg) Cat's Claw first time, I got the best sleep (8 hours) since I was ill. That lasted for 2-3 weeks.

Then, my sleep got bad again, 4-5 hours, and I was at my wit's end.

Four days ago, I took 3X3(540mg) Cat's Claw again. From that night till now, I have had good sleep.

I hope this will last forever.

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have sleep problems, be sure to look for heavy metal toxicity, including all dental infections, wisdom teeth sites.

It affects your hormone production a lot.

Also check for sleeping location, electromagnetic exposure (pull the fuses into bedroom, no electric clocks, no nothing electically in your immediate surrounding, microwave towers, geopathic stress).

It is caused by more than just one thing -

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never been a good sleeper but other then ambien, etc. which can help (although you said that it doesn't help you)...I go see an accupuncturist (not just for sleep) and I take valarian root extract at night before bed.

One other thing I do at night sometimes are breathing exerices to try to slow down my breathing and for relaxation.

Not sleeping well really does stink... I hope things get better for you.

--David

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear you have been so SLEEPLESS!

Three of us here have lyme with insomnia and
the no sleepy for you demon seems to make
the rounds tormenting 1 or 2 of us at a ritime.

We are each on sleep meds and each of us react
differently are on completely different types.

My daughter's insomnia worsens with herxes.
We get some relief from pulses and lowering
the dose when it gets too out of hand.
(Relative, right?)

Char

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correcting Adrenal insuficiency mad a big difference with my sleep. I get 11-7 on most nights since correcting the Adrenal problem.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Foggy, how did you correct your "adrenal problems"?

Just curious.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lw dose Cortef for 3.5 months then herbal adrenal support.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catsmeow
Member # 9485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catsmeow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm chiming in with the experts here...so I must defer to their wisdom...but friend, I can share what's helped me.

If you have any kind of "nerve" problems (i.e nerve damage in the spine/neuropathy) doctors will often prescribe NEURONTON (aka Gabapentin).

This eases the symptoms of the nerve damage BUT ALSO....has the wonderful side effect of sleep.

They start you on 900 mg at first, then progress upward. I'm on 1200 - 1600 mg per night. It does help.

Then, add narcotic pain relievers and that seems to help the insomnia.

Posts: 47 | From New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all for the helpful suggestions.

GiGi...I had an extensive (and expensive) heavy metals panel that came back clean. I am on chelation therapy nevertheless. Hoping that will help.

Foggy...I have been taking loads of a supplement called Adreset for adrenal support. I am not familiar with the protocol you mention. did your doc tell you about it?

Betty and Char...I am really curious as to whether my sleep will improve when I stop treatment. I have been on for about 15 months now, and still feel like I have some progress to make before I plateau. I can't r/o the fact that the insomnia may be a herx symptom.

Catsmeow...my mother took neurontin for peripheral neuropathy and it actually disturbed her sleep. Interesting that it has the opposite effect on you. I am taking Klonopin for RLS, and it used to knock me out....but no longer. These bugs aren't playing games!

Thanks all, and sweet dreams!!

Jen

Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lesley1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lesley1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I struggle with insomnia as well. What frustrates me the most is that nothing seems to help for long. I also take Klonopin for restless legs, which does seem to guarantee me about 3 hours sleep a night. Several months ago, I started daily methylcobalamine shots and slept wonderfully for four nights. I was ecstatic; I foolishly thought I had found the answer to my insomnia. Lately, I've been taking 600 mg neurontin at dinner and another 600 mg at bedtime and have been sleeping about 5-6 hours. But, I suspect my body will soon adjust and I'll be looking for something new to try.

Dave, I was intrigued by your experience with Cats Claw, but also a little confused. Are you saying that you took it one time and slept well for 2-3 weeks. It sounds like you stopped it and restarted. Could you explain that a little more. Also, what other side effects if any have you experienced while taking it?

Lesley

Posts: 164 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

"GiGi...I had an extensive (and expensive) heavy metals panel that came back clean. I am on chelation therapy nevertheless. Hoping that will help."

DocJen, what kind of a heavy metals panel did you have. Did you have a "challenge test"? Can you describe what you did? Do you have metals in your mouth?

A negative test means very little, if the body is not able to release the toxic metals.

Take care.

karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe all the reasons cited above, heavy metal, etc., can cause sleeplessness.

BUT, while you are figuring out what the cause is, its still so essential to get a good night's sleep.

I thought the norm was waking up 5 or 6 times a night. I remember my doctor asking me if I slept good and I said yes. She asked how many times I awakened during the night and when I told her she said that wasn't normal.

I tried many sleep meds that didn't work.

At the FFC (Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center) they put me on Xyrem - a sleep med that will knock you out. It lasts 4 hours so you have to repeat it in 4 hours - most do, I didn't as I slept until around 6:00 a.m. with just the one dose.

I took it for about a year and loved knowing that I would sleep at night and not toss and turn.

I don't take it now as the mangosteen juice I've been on has me sleeping like a baby.

But if you need a good sleep med, that's the one that works. All the others didn't help me very much.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement