LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » son to start flagyl what should we expect

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: son to start flagyl what should we expect
concerned mother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for concerned mother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Son is doing much better but doctor wants to start flagyl before going back to school. We are starting with a 1/4 of a pill and then slowly increase. What is this drug used for and what should we expect around here.

Thanks again everyone for the input!

Amy

--------------------
Amy Holloway

Posts: 255 | From Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl kills the cyst form of the bacteria adn can cross the blood brain barrier to kill the germs there. Ramping up slowly like you mentioned is a good idea.

Flagyl bothered my stomach, so I always took it with food and then took probiotics several hours away from it. I experienced fatigue, but not a major herx. Some people will herx a lot on it, so you might be prepared for that.

Good Luck. Hiker

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 7584 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KH
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I both took tinidazole, which is the same as flagyl, but is suppose to be easier on the liver. We both did not have any side effects, and did not herx on it. This might be do to the fact that we started treatment very close to the time when we became infected with lyme.

We took it for at least 5 months, two days a week.

Hope all goes well for your son.

Posts: 101 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anneke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there!

Flagyl was a great antibiotic for me. I did get some stomach upset, but was able to deal with it with probiotics. I have heard from some that they experienced depression on Flagyl, so that is something to watch out for.

Best wishes,

Anneke

Posts: 364 | From California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
siggy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siggy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my experience with flagyl was that I herxed big time. Flagyl will open the cysts, but it is unsure if it will actually kill the spiros. And I think that is one of the reasons I also got so ill, because it released a lot of spiros into my blood. I did feel horrible, depressed, fatigue. But thinking that it was due to flagyl, it was bearable.

Good luck!!

( I was on 400mg*3 a day, which was ok)

Posts: 155 | From Norway | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl can cause a very severe herx. Below are some links to recent threads.

Many doctors pulse flagyl. You take it for a few days or a week, and then stop for a week or two.

For me, Flagyl caused severe pain and inflammation of my joints. Nothing new, just making old symptoms worse. It also made me tired and increased my motor tics.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045935#000000

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045633

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was glad to see all these posts on flagyl. The first time I took it with doxy and I just felt awful all the time. I started again two weeks ago and feel into terrible weird depression / obsessive thoughts and severe nausea.

We just tried going on vacation. Bad idea. Especially on flagyl.

I stopped two days ago, and am back to feeling normal now.

I didn't know what was happening -- that the flagyl could create such havoc!

But I am glad to come back and check in on lymenet and find out it's the flagyl that made me so sick and crazy for a few days.

I've got to figure out a way to take it so it does not affect me so severely.

I thought I might be able to go back to work a day a week. No way. This battle is in no way over, and with new meds, I see there can be severe, unexpected reactions.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The worst thing for me was the depression....UGH! So watch for signs, OK?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95737 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to ask -- did antidepressants help anyone while on a flagyl-caused depression? Which ones?

I take prozac but it did not help.

I am thinking of seeing a psychiatrist, but in CA they won't understand or have the expertise. They will just switch me to something else, and it will be trial and error . . .

My wife wants to me pulse the flagyl according to my bodymind -- e.g., stop when I start feeling nutty, and then start again when I feel normal -- a kind of bodymind pulsing method. ....

???thoughts????

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pulsing might work, Jeff. I took trazodone [antidep] the entire time....still WAY depressed.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95737 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spiral
Member # 9217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flagyl is a tough drug. Not great for everyone. and the question remains -- are the bad symptoms drug side effects or herx. my teen was on it 48 hours and she was so dizzy, she rode it out for 5 days, but the dizziness was so extreme she had to stop. she never experienced dizziness before. and walking into walls was not healthy. she dropped the flagyl. dont remember the dose. Mepron is used instead of flagyl in many cases but it is $$$. Has little to no side effects (they say).

careful!

--------------------
spiral

Posts: 20 | From hvny | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
depression & nausea & really tired.

I would get overly emotional at times.

Some people have ramped up slowly.

I also pusled it.

Make sure to talk over everything first with your LLMD

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken flagyl or its generic for up to 6 months steady. On off for the last 5 years.
When I first took it stomach hurt for a couple of weeks that went away some dizzieness herx's to all in all I fared better on it than when taking doxy now that was stomach aches but only for a couple weeks. Remember not every person is the same in reactions to some things some get frantic other stay calm some histerical,or getmad easy , some whine others you couldnt pry anything out of them.
Everyone is different and so are reaction just make sure he dosent sneak beer alcohol tends to make some very ill on flagyl.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, do you think the strong reactions to Flagyl are related to whether you began treatment early or whether you have chronic Lyme?

I didn't notice much difference while on Flagyl, but I had mild symptoms & caught the disease immediately. I got a tick bite, then 1 week later another tick bite. The rash developed around the 2nd bite. The bites were very close together.

The 1st bite had just a mosquito bite appearance.

Nancy

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read the higher your germ count the harder you can herx. Don't know if this apply's to flagel/cystic form or not.

Don't know if you have a higher germ count if you have been sicker longer. But it would make sence.

But I have know some people who have not been sick for decades, who are really sick from just one year or less. Maybe when they got bite the tick released more BB &co's?

There needs to be more research .

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StuckonLyme
Member # 8196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StuckonLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whatever you do, dont take any alchohol with flagyl, i took a homeopathic remedy that contained alchohol and it landed me in the ER.

I herxed hard on it the first month and then saw my most improvement so far the second month, now mepron has sent me back into herx land, BIG TIME.

Posts: 82 | From Northeast WI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The herx depends on how the infection has impacted your body. My greatest symptom has always been pain, and Flagyl is known to cause pain. So it was extremely intense.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemonade
Member # 9413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyll made me really tired and my blood pressure was pretty low. My LLMD had me on ceftin at the same time. Flagyll to break open the cysts, ceftin to kill the spiroketes.
Posts: 82 | From east hampton ny | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement