LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need advice - second ER trip in 2 months!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need advice - second ER trip in 2 months!
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry...this will be a little lengthy, but I really would like some advice on this scary situation.

I have been married three months and my new husband has taken me to the ER twice already!! We are testing the "sickness and health" (mainly the sickness) part of the vows early. I am starting to get VERY SCARED about this trend.

Here is what happened (not sure how much is due to Lyme:

I had severe menstrual cramps two nights ago and took a Flexeril (half a 10mg tablet). The next morning my hubby and I went on a 13-mile bike ride during which time I felt like my muscles never got out of that "burning" stage the entire time. I felt like I was peddling through quick sand and my muscles felt full of lactic acid for some reason.

When we got home, my menstrual cramps started again. They became VERY SEVERE...like stabbing pain of about a 15 on a 1-10 scale! I got in the shower hoping that the warm water would help, but I found that I couldn't catch my breath even though we had stopped exercising at least 15 minutes earlier.

All of a sudden, I couldn't hold my arms up to wash my hair...I blacked out...I was breathing quickly. I stopped mid-shower with soap still on me and crawled to the bed. The pain was INTENSE in my lower abdomen.

Then my arms started tingling and my hands curled up into a claw-like position. They were paralyzed that way. My legs then started tingling and becoming numb, too.

At that point, I started to vomit yellow liquid (which could have been from the vitamins I took four hours earlier - I don't know how long it takes to metabolize those).

The pain was worse than I had ever felt in my life. I could not breathe...I was paralyzed...I was vomiting.

We went to the ER and he literally carried me in while I was screaming at the top of my lungs from the pain. I started to vomit uncontrollably, however, I did not feel nauseous. It was strange.

This was the second time I have gone to the ER with vomiting and no nausea and pain. I thought the pain was menstrual cramps, but I have had severe cramps many times before and this never happened.

They couldn't figure out what was going on. I think there is something very serious going on that is getting triggered. I am seeing my LLMD on Thursday for my regular appointment. Any suggestions on what to tell him to investigate?

Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all....why are you exercising that heavily? You are very ill with Lyme, right?? Chill out and quit trying to be Super Wife!

My feeling is that you WAY overdid it, even when you began the bike ride not feeling well.

What meds are you on for the Lyme?

Have you been tested for babesia?

I think you've just overwhelmed your poor body.... but I'm not a dr!

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95675 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't remember -- what meds are you on?

Sounds like a liver or gallbladder issue. Or could just be an electrolyte imbalance.

Truthfully, with the temps as high as they have been lately I think you are putting way too much stress on your body continuing to exercise so strenuously -- a 13 mile bike ride seems like 10 or 12 miles too long in my opinion.

I tell hubby he doesn't know how to be a good patient -- I think he is pushing too hard when he walks 2 or 3 miles and recently he has had to stop walking altogether. Has been in bed all day today except for a couple of hours to do bloodwork and eat a little.

Have you been tested or treated for babesia? Hubby says his muscles feel like he is walking in waist high water when the babesia is acting up. He has had problems with "claw hand" in the past and frequent episodes of temporary paralysis.

Hope you can figure this out ad get to feeling better soon.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies. I tested negative for Babs.

I may have pushed it with the bike ride, but it isn't the first one I have taken in the past two weeks. I went on two others and did not experience the same problems. I am not sure how Lyme could cause this reaction, especially since I have had Lyme for over 10 years and exercised far more than this before I was diagnosed and didn't have this reaction.

I am not on any meds right now. I was on Omnicef for eight months until a month ago. My GB has no stones, but is "sluggish." No surgeon will take it out because my HIDA scan was only slightly abnormal. My liver and pancreas enzymes were normal in the ER. Only thing high was glucose (which is strange).

Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
claw hand is no good... ER is even worse. I'd talk over the whole exercising thing with my LLMD if I were you. I was a fan of running before LD and stopped when I was diagnosed. I was lucky if I'd go 2 or 3 days without being sent to the ER in the 6 months after the diagnosis, so I would have rather kept running and stayed in shaped than stopped and gained all this weight.

Sorry you are in so much pain.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say Oh, Im fine I want someone to look me in the eyes & say tell the truth

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Nal had a bunch of problems before having GB removed... There was a post I read over the weekend. GB was sluggish, etc...

--------------------
Sometimes when I say Oh, Im fine I want someone to look me in the eyes & say tell the truth

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry you've had to go through this.

I do agree wtih Too about the exercise. Overdoing it, that is.

I've experienced paralysis since my Lyme dx and since starting treatment -- twice, actually. If you do a search on paralysis, you can read about my experiences and others...

Nobody could explain what happened to me. I alwayus thought it was part of a herx.

It was really scary for me, so I know how you felt.

I just don't have any suggestions, other than cutting back on your exercise until your body is a little more healed.

Andie

[ 28. August 2006, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Andie333 ]

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

I will try to cut back. I usually just exercise on my elliptical machine for 25 minutes or so.

The ER doc said the claw hands and tingling were from hyperventalating. I'm not sure what caused the shortness of breath to BEGIN with though.

I think the vomiting is the most worrisome symptom since I have only vomited a few times in my life...twice in the past two months and the last time was when I was 10 years old! Something is definitely not right.

The ER doc said maybe biliary colic...a spasm in my bile duct. Again...what could cause that?? Something made it yellow, too. Vitamin? Maybe? Bile? Maybe? If the latter, then something is awry.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vachick:
Thanks for your replies. I tested negative for Babs.
You could still have it.

I may have pushed it with the bike ride, but it isn't the first one I have taken in the past two weeks. I went on two others and did not experience the same problems.
But lyme is an up and down thing. I think this wasn't a good day for riding this far.
--------------------------------------
I am not on any meds right now. I was on Omnicef for eight months until a month ago.

maybe the lyme is coming back?

My GB has no stones, but is "sluggish."
When was your HIda Scan??

Only thing high was glucose (which is strange).

You won't believe this, but I started to mention the possibility of high glucose, but figured you'd think I was nuts! I believe it can cause vomiting. How high was it??

-------------------

Biliary colic? You could have had a stone try to go through the bile duct ... and get stuck! That would explain a few things.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95675 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First I need to say that I am sorry you have had this terrible experience....sounds just horrifying. I think the puking bit is the worst also. Vomiting uncontrollably is definately a sign of something going on. All the other things can be attributed to lyme and coinfections combined with overdoing it....but the vomitting? Not so sure. What do you know about high glucose level lymetoo? please share!

There are too many variables here for sure. ANd I have to throw one more at you. You might be experiencing some GYN issues. The pain bit sounded like you ruptured an ovarian cyst. You may bave ruptured more than one. That pain is akin to labor or a gallbladder attack. big ouch. When I rupture a cyst it takes my breath away--I can BARELY breathe, it hurts to even MOVE at all and I cant even cry it hurts so badly. Sometimes this pain is mistaken for period cramps and sometimes it comes on slowly over days and builds. When the cyst ruptures it leaves fluid that irritates the peritoneum. This is what causes the pain.

Discuss the entire episode with your LLMD. Try to get an appointment with a GYN that comes HIGHLY recommended AND has an intravaginal ultrasound IN THEIR OFFICE. Having this equipment will save you tons of time and energy. Have them try to rule out the possibility of ovarian cysts or other GYN problems. If you rutpured them sometimes they can see fluid in the pelvis (typically in the Cul-de-sac) for a few days following the incident. You might have more cysts to rupture or you might not. Let's hope NOT.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, rupturing a cyst can make you puke your brains out. But I dont know about the yellow bit.

keep us posted and try not to over do it.
Trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hmmmm.. Trails...the ovarian cyst is a pretty big possibility.

All I know about the high blood sugar is that I read some people get projectile vomiting before being dxd with diabetes.

I think because after you get it under control, it shouldn't happen.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

am36
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for am36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting about the high glucose. Also went to the ER for severe burning, my glucose was also high. So was my WBC. ER visit also unproductive.
Posts: 169 | From former Philadelphian | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VA, so sorry to read about all you pain & non-productive ER visit. Let us know how LLMD visit goes Thurs. Bettyg [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I did consider the ovarian cyst rupture, however, ironically, I had a transvaginal ultrasound about three weeks ago and the only think they mentioned was a small fibroid. Do you think they could have missed a cyst?

My blood sugar was 154. The ER doc did mention pre-diabetes, but since my glucose from my monthly blood work (due to abx use) is usually in the 90's she thought it may be a fluke.

I can't get any docs to agree on whether to yank out my GB. My HIDA scan was done about three years ago and it measured 23. Apparently that is borderline and not bad enough to say "Yank it out!"

All I know is that I can't keep going to the ER every two months. Something is definitely going on and I don't know if it is related to Lyme (maybe the muscle fatigue and shortness of breath, which I didn't used to have).

Geeez. i hope I am not becoming diabetic, too. I feel I eat very healthy, am not overweight, and have no family history. NOt sure what could cause it. Pancreas problems? Ugh. I hope not!

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HIDA was three years ago? Sounds like it's time for another one.

I sent you contact info for Dr. V, right? I'd make an appointment with him. This could all be autonomic nervous system related.

ANS disfunction can cause severe stomach cramping and spasms. The spasms could lead to vomiting without nausea.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Anie,
Yes, I think you did send me that info. If not, I will PM you.

I did think of the ANS issue and will ask my LLMD when I see him on Thursday. This is the second time I have had vomiting without nausea...pain seems to be the thing that triggers it. Bizarre.

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lab manual says that shock and stress can both be causes of elevated blood glucose.

Somewhere in hubby's records I have a chart a chiro gave us for use in evaluating a glucose tolerance test for hypoglycemia -- according to the chart adrenal function controls insulin and glucose at certain points in time and of course the pancreas is involved. Anyway, there is an interplay between the organ systems and hormone levels. Some docs believe hypoglycemia can be caused by adrenal fatigue.

If you suspect pre-diabetes, sometimes called syndrome X or metabolic syndrome -- a glucose tolerance test which includes fasting insulin levels should answer this question.

I know you mentioned lactic acid -- that is one of the reasons I thought of Babesia. One marker for babesia is an elevated LDH (total) -- Lactate Dehydrogenase measures tissue damage.

If the total LDH is elevated a detailed breakdown of the 5 isoenzymes will show the probable source of tissue damage -- with babesia the source would generally be RBC from the destruction of red blood cells. Lyme can sometimes cause an elevated skeletal muscle source -- would usually have obvious muscle wasting.

This is not medical advice, just my opinion based on hubby's experiences. As I mentioned, yesterday he was in bed resting after some bloodwork -- results today show elevated LDH and also elevated bilirubin -- looks like his babesia is still there and he is definitely showing decresed exercise tolerance lately -- in bed sleeping again this afternoon.

Hope you can pinpoint the source of the problems soon.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re HIDA Scan:

I just had one done and mine was 25%. On my test results it states" 35% or greater is normal"

But 2 different doctors recently have said that the normal range is around 50%. [confused]

[ 29. August 2006, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: 5dana8 ]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dana do you mean HIDA SCAN?

VAchick--they prolly wouldnt miss a cyst if they were at all skilled and it was intravaginal. SO I am glad you can rule that out for now. Wonder why the pelvic pain though?? Have you been having pther GYN or pelvic pain issues?

I know nothing about the glucose except to say that there ARE at least relatively reliable tests for all kinds of blood sugar and glucose problems. I would start there.

And a 3 year old hida scan is worthless at this point. You need to get another one. Also the scan is not very reliable....ask NAL here, as someone suggested---she had a good hida scan but some sludge and the docs took her gallbladder out last week and it was in VERY bad shape...that didnt show on the hida.

You got lots to talk about with your LLMD--you are making a list and checkin it twice arent you?
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yep....get the GB checked again. Taking abx could have sent it over the edge.

I apologize if I was too hard on you the other day... [kiss]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you by chance take any Shaklee B vitamins that day?

There are two things that will make me vomit with virtually no warning or nausea: Shaklee B vitamins and codeine.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Wow...you guys are all AWESOME! What great stuff for me to take to my LLMD tomorrow! I am definitely making my list. [Smile]

I know he is going to suggest taking out my GB; however, I do not know how that could have caused my problems since I had not eaten anything but organic oatmeal and taken vitamins (not Shaklee - interesting point of note though). I would suspect that GB problems would be triggered by eating fatty food (which I never do) or something like that.

I will keep you all posted. Any suggestions before my appointment tomorrow afternoon are welcome from you fine folks. [Smile]

TexasChaos
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexasChaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that you could have been experiencing a severe allergic reaction to a medication or supplement?
Posts: 220 | From central TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Texaschaos (love your name - I'm a TX native!),
I thought about an allergic reaction, but I have been taking the same vitamins for many months now. The Flexeril I took is a bit old, but I would have thought I would have experienced a reaction to that earlier than fourteen hours later??? Good thought...I am sure my doc will ask me that same question.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Do you put butter on your oatmeal??

Texas native, huh? Where? [Cool]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

No butter on oatmeal. I only put Stevia root and a few almonds. So no fat is in it at all. Good thought though!

I am from Houston. ugh. My family lives in Austin now which is where I visit. Great town.

bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not just discount the high glucose as meaningless.

It's possible- if you were exercising- and are someone who doesn't eat very much you can put yourself into the state of ketosis (did they check your urine for that- it's a simple test).

Also- a potassium deficiency (exercising and having an electrolyte imbalance) can cause you to fatigue ealry when doing something (athletics) that you normally do.

I'm going to assume you had a blood chemistry drawn in the ER.

Oh- and also make sure you're not pregnant.

These don't seem like Lyme symptoms to me.
But nothing to ignore non the less.

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I'm a native Houstonian. Houston has its assets, but I hear ya. I haven't lived there in 35 yrs. Moved away when I went to college.

I lived in New Braunfels for the first 5 yrs of my marriage, then later lived in San Antonio for 7 yrs. The area is wonderful, but SOOOO busy with traffic now. UGH. I hate driving through Austin North to South.

We will do just about anything to avoid that!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm in McAllen TX for work right now! Just thought I'd chime in. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andie, missed the last day of postings so you've been to the MD by now.

Ask them to do a AIC for diabetes; it's quarterly glucose telling how your body has been running. It's very reliable; I just had one Wed. & waiting the results of mine.

If you end up with diabetes 2, WELCOME to my diabetes/chronic lyme/ gluten/wheat/rye and casein/NO DAIRY food allergies club! MEMBERS WANTED DESPARATELY sharing how we can cope with all of this stuff! Never a dull moment I can tell you. Bettyg [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hey Aniek...Pretty hot down there, huh?! Did you go to Padre Island?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Aniek
Member # 5374

Yep, it's hot. Third trip down and not yet made it to Padre Island. It's work travel. I make it to meetings and my hotel room.

--------------------

TexasChaos
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TexasChaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A somewhat similar episode happened to me about 7 years ago, before I was dx'ed with Lyme, Babs, and Bart. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of the Phoenix airport at the time, trying to catch a connecting flight.

My blood glucose was the opposite of yours though - mine was very low (37). The only thing the ER could come up with was, "You must be anorexic. Stop starving yourself." * rolls eyes *

Hope you get more answers than I did. Let us know how your apptmt went!

Posts: 220 | From central TX | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the worst thing is that you blacked out. That is pretty scary. It kind of sounds like trauma to the spinal cord. Maybe you should go to a neurologist and get the central and peripheral nervous system checked out.
Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Hi everyone,
Well, my LLMD and I discussed my incident. One thing he did agree with me on is that it was not my GB. He even said it could be Lyme, but doubted it.

He thought the elevated glucose was due to my body's response to trauma (i.e. hyperventilating, extreme pain, vomiting), but wants me to get a fasting glucose, etc. when I get my full physical next weekend to make sure.

He is not sure what caused the vomiting...he said extreme pain could do it. He also said my dysautonomia/PPS could have contributed to this incident.

He wasn't sure what to make of my muscle fatigue. He thought I could have had lactic acid induced hyperventilation, but that is hard to determine without checking for it at the time. I have had elevated lactic acid levels in my blood in the past which made my neurologist think I had a metabolic disorder (which turned out not to be the case).

He gave me a breathing test and gave me an inhaler. I have been having shortness of breath/difficulty breathing lately which is weird. Not sure if that caused the hyperventilation that day.

He also wants me to get a chest x-ray. I shy away from unwanted radiation since my three CT scane three years ago...not sure if I want to get that done or not. Do any of you have pain upon breathing deeply and/or a constant burning in your chest? I don't like it but wonder if it is GERD vs a lung issue?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement