LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter




The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive


The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » home health agency costs exorbitant?

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: home health agency costs exorbitant?
Peggy in Maryland
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peggy in Maryland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a bill from the home health agency that shipped my supplies. There were a total of 4 shipments (one a week for 4 weeks). Each shipment included 7 bags of rocephin, pre-filled syringes of saline and heparin, tubing, and supplies for a once-weekly bandage change and a once-weekly blood draw (lab fees for blood tests were billed separately).

The total bill for these 4 shipments was $14,437. That comes to over $3600 per shipment, $516 a day. Does that sound out of line?

I initially asked the case manager how much it was going to cost, and she said about $100 a day. Never having been through this before, it didn't occur to me to get that in writing.

Blue Cross is to pay 90%, leaving me with 10%. But I was expecting to pay 10% of a much smaller bill.

Peggy

Posts: 143 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi:

Yup, sounds about right. IV Rocephin + supplies + weekly visits for bandage change cost me $3600 per week.

Be glad insurance is covering any of it. Hang in there.

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I don't agree. This sounds way out of line. I think you should call around to other suppliers and get quotes. They don't all charge the same amount. Very nice if ins will pay but sometimes they fink out after charges are incurred. If this happens, you do not want to be left holding a bag that is larger than necessary. And even if ins starts to pay, huge amounts like this are going to make them rethink paying.

There are also outfits that will ship from elsewhere.

Rocephin generic now costs less than $400 a month and one bag of saline costs about $10. Saline and heparin flushes can run $1 apiece. Tubing is under $10 and can be used more than one day. Dressing changes, etc can't give you an estimate for since it depends on what kind of infusion device you have. Then, there will some labor involved in putting the drug into the saline bag, unless they are using the screw on type that even a patient can do safely.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most lyme docs don't care where a patient gets his or her meds. You don't need anyone's OK on checking prices elsewhere. And if you find someone, you can have them transfer the prescription for you.

This price is so outrageous that I would call and point out to them the discrepancy. Ask if this is a billing error. And if they say no, tell them you will do no further business with them and will spread the word to other patients.

Check around too with support groups in MD and the metro DC area. They may be able to put you onto a more reasonable source for infusion supplies.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is definately high...it almost sounds like your insurance company is upping the bill so that your 10% share covers most of the cost.

IS the BC a nonprofit or a public company?

Posts: 183 | From US | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digirl02
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for digirl02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peggy
Way to high. I had no insurance and paid $528.00 per week and about $46.00 for the weekly home nurse.. Can you contact the pharmacy and talk to billing manager. I agree this is has definitely got to be a mistake.

Posts: 121 | From Gaithersburg, MD USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peggy in Maryland
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peggy in Maryland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not on rocephin anymore; I did it only one month because Blue Cross refused to pay for more. Now I can see why.

What's really bizarre is that I expected them to pay the provider a percentage of "reasonable & customary." Instead, they're paying 90% of the total billed amount, without making any adjustments! This leaves me liable for 10% of the fully billed amount.

My husband called the home health agency to ask for an itemized bill, to see exactly what this $14,000+ was for. They admitted they inflated it because they expected an adjustment.

The next step is to call Blue Cross and ask "what were you thinking?!"

Peggy

Posts: 143 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3


The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations. If you would like to support the Network and the LymeNet system of Web services, please send your donations to:

The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey
907 Pebble Creek Court, Pennington, NJ 08534 USA


| Flash Discussion | Support Groups | On-Line Library
Legal Resources | Medical Abstracts | Newsletter | Books
Pictures | Site Search | Links | Help/Questions
About LymeNet | Contact Us

© 1993-2020 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to Terms and Conditions.